The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 10, 2015, 10:50 AM   #1
DennisCA

Which gun do you think got the most attention?

I was at the range this past sat with my son and one of his friends. I had brought four guns (only shot three though) and which one(s) did you think got the most attention?

1941 Finnish M39

Yugo 24/47

.50 cal ML Rifle and .50 cal ML Pistol

Believe it or not the .50 cal muzzle loading rifle stole the show!
(I didn't shoot the ML pistol)

For some reason people love to see smoke-poles, except the gun down-wind of me when I shot the muzzle-loader!
Old March 10, 2015, 05:53 PM   #2
JWT

Doesn't seem surprising to me. See lots of different military rifles at the range, but not very many muzzle loaders. I'm much more curious when I see a muzzle-loader, especially a flinter.
Old March 10, 2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Blindstitch

If muzzleloaders were easier to load and keep running you would probably see more and I might take mine more.

Everytime I go to cabelas with my wife she ends up playing with some blackpowder rifle or pistol. I'm sure there's one in my future.
Old March 11, 2015, 04:51 AM   #4
turkeestalker

For quite a few years my oldest son (19), when given an option on what to take to the range on a 'play' day trip has chosen a Ruger Old Army in stainless that I have over more than two dozen other pistols and revolvers he could have chosen from. He loves that thing where as his younger brother (15), holds zero interest in any of my muzzle loading firearms.
Old March 11, 2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Picher

If a person likes cleaning guns more than shooting them, muzzleloaders are the way to go!
Old March 11, 2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Colt46

It's hard to burn through your savings shooting a muzzle loader

Also, I think that people like the huge clouds of smoke associated with them.
Old March 11, 2015, 11:42 AM   #7
stagpanther

Muzzle loaders also give you an option to extend your deer season by almost 2 weeks in many states. There is a learning curve and finding the right powder bullet combo takes a bit of work--but it is just a blast load of fun and can be VERY accurate as well. Love my TC impact

Last edited by stagpanther; March 11, 2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old March 11, 2015, 11:56 AM   #8
roashooter

when I shoot one of my Ruger Old Army's....at the indoor range I use.....it never fails to draw a question or several from others. It seems most have never seen a blackpowder pistol being used...and it usually gets their attention when it shoots a tighter group than whatever they are shooting with.
Old April 3, 2015, 05:37 PM   #9
Nathan c

Love to shoot them ...... hate to clean them lol
Old April 3, 2015, 08:26 PM   #10
Dragonflydf

Which ever one I take to the range usually attracts attention, sometimes it is a muzzle loader, others it is a Trapdoor, or a Krag, Arisaka. Everyone has a AR-15, not everyone has collectable rifles...
Old April 4, 2015, 12:42 AM   #11
Venom1956

what kind of pistol is that? I always imagine the having single shots like that all over like a crazy pirate would be the must fun barrage to shoot @ the range.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 4, 2015, 10:01 AM   #12
tahunua001

looks like a traditions build. they have one at the local sportsmans whorehouse for $220
Old April 4, 2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Pahoo

Get them hooked on the Traditonals

Quote:
Believe it or not the .50 cal muzzle loading rifle stole the show!
Not surprising at all and these days, no longer take a combination of modern and SideLock rifles as it doubles my range time. There has never been a time that I go to the range and don't wind up giving a mini M/L class.

Quote:
looks like a traditions build.
Sure does and I think it's called the Kentuckian ......

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 6, 2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old April 4, 2015, 01:50 PM   #14
Buzzcook

I have an old CVA Virginia rifle. It's fun to shoot and I always get comments when I bring it to the range.

I'm sure part of the reason we get more comments is because of the time loading and fiddling with the gun gives people a better opportunity to approach us.
Old April 5, 2015, 06:53 PM   #15
Boncrayon

Which gun do you think got the most attention?

50 calibers always seem to grab the fancy of shooters...as does black powder. As many of today's firearms contain the smart remnants of the past, classic firearms have an ambiance and charm that draws the crowds.

I recently acquired a mint condition (remanufactured) Remington 45-70 rolling block rifle that is still my favorite among my collection. It draws the attention of fellow range enthusiasts and is a blast at the 100 yard range.
Old April 6, 2015, 10:18 AM   #16
Pahoo

Poetry in motion !!!

Quote:
I'm sure part of the reason we get more comments is because of the time loading and fiddling with the gun gives people a better opportunity to approach us.
I feel that a large part of the attraction, is watching the loading and shooting technique that we employ. I catch them watching each step and asking loads of questions. You just don't see that with modern rifles. .....

I mostly shoot percussion SideLocks and one time at the range, I observed a young man shooting a FlintLock. His technique was exceptional and his lock-time was not much slower than mine. The guy was in a world of his own while loading and shooting. He was good ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 6, 2015, 07:51 PM   #17
B.L.E.

I took my muzzleloaders to the range the other day and I didn't seem to draw any unusual attention.

Old April 7, 2015, 06:08 PM   #18
Tony Z

Pistol looks similar to a CVA kit I built about 30 years ago.
Old April 7, 2015, 06:20 PM   #19
stagpanther

I think BP is so interesting because you're reloading on the spot in the weapon.
Old April 27, 2015, 07:02 PM   #20
manowar

Black powder gets unfairly maligned. This holds true in each and every form of the weapon, whether flintlocks, percussion muzzleloaders, cap 'n ball pistols or Black powder cartridge firearms.

First of all, as backed up by Ross Seyfried, cleaning up a black powder weapon after shooting is no more troublesome than that of a smokeless powder arm.

You're cheating yourself of a huge part of the history of firearms and you're cheating yourself of a lot of fun.

Most people, when hearing the words "black powder" think of a TC "sort of" replica of a Hawken rifle and a bunch of guys who like to be called "Griz".

As far as replicas go, there are hundreds of beautiful, faithful replicas of various regional BP arms crafted by artisans who will make your head spin.

I like going with original British 19th century shoguns and rifles, both muzzleloading and cartridge.

So open up your minds and you'll find a world of firearm interest that will make you open up your wallets! It'll be worth every cent, I guarantee.
Old April 27, 2015, 07:49 PM   #21
mehavey

Quote:
If a person likes cleaning guns more than shooting them, muzzleloaders are the way to go!
Aaaaaahhhh... If you've not fully cleaned and packed in
20 minutes, you're OCD-ing it. [even with a flintlock]

Actually, it's the Bess that gets all the attention over &
above my other sidelocks, ...especially when they see
how fast it reloads even with tightly-patched ball.