The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 1999, 05:13 PM   #1
Bennett Richards

Fot those of you conteplating firing your HD shotgun indoors, Just read that the DB level of a normal load 2-3/4" 12 gauge is 157... That is 1 DB LOUDER than the 223 at 156. The loudest at 164 DB was a 44 Magnum.

To give you some perspective a jet engine at thrust 100 feet away id only 130DB!!!!

Eh?

Ben
Old October 24, 1999, 05:12 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Huh? Sorry, I didn't hear that...

Seriously, yeah, 12-gauge (even those wimpy low noise/low recoil Winchesters) is hellaciously loud. Just another reason to invest in tactical ears for yourself and your family, if you're so equipped. They don't make ear protectors for cats, so if I have to rearrange a goblin's innards, the kitties are gonna be hard-of-hearing for a while.

------------------
"Janet Reno is the fire that ignites my loins."
--Joe Cartoon

Old October 24, 1999, 06:16 PM   #3
zip

dose anyboby know what barrel length that mumber is based on ive heard theshorter the barrel the louder the blast

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old October 24, 1999, 06:49 PM   #4
boing

A shotgun load typically generates the highest pressure when the shot package is about 18 inches down the barrel, so a shorter barrel does make for a louder...what's the term...BANG! Unless we're talking NFA. Then I dunno.

As for discomfort, after the first couple of shots the loudness goes away.
Old October 25, 1999, 02:23 PM   #5
DOCSpanky

Who cares? I'd rather stop a goober in his or her tracks than fire off a .223 and have it go through 5 walls and kill someone sleeping.

"Tis better to have a little tinnittis and a dead bad guy, than tinnittis, a dead bad guy, a dead dog, and a dead next door neighbor!"

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"
Old October 25, 1999, 07:51 PM   #6
hksigwalther

Keep in mind also that the db scale is logorithmic.

- Ron V.

------------------
Old October 25, 1999, 08:27 PM   #7
ChuteTheMall

Sometimes the tinnitis does not go away. mine started in August, 4 years ago. The ringing in my right ear never wavers in pitch or volume and I hear it 24 hours per day. Also partial deafness will probably get worse. Now I train with both ear plugs very carefully and fully inserted and ear muffs, even shooting 22. I have spare ear plugs attached to each long gun and other places, plus cheap disposables for forgetful friends and spectators.

------------------
Old October 25, 1999, 10:58 PM   #8
zip

the reason i questioned the barrel leanget issue my hd gun is an 18. in bbl mossberg i was wondering what kind of hearing damage i would suffer if i wasto have to use it

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old October 26, 1999, 12:25 AM   #9
Bennett Richards

Better your ears than your ass....

Ben
Old October 26, 1999, 10:54 AM   #10
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

While we're on the topic of bigass boomsticks, are there any (legal) sources of suppressors for shotguns?

"Sir, why do you have a silencer on that shotgun?"

"Well, Officer, I didn't want to damage the burglar's hearing..."

------------------
"Janet Reno is the fire that ignites my loins."
--Joe Cartoon

Old October 26, 1999, 11:19 AM   #11
Bruegger

Yes. Better your ears than your ass, but you only get one set of eardrums. Hearing damage is cumulative and IRREVERSIBLE. Hope all those Lynrd Skynrd concerts were worth it! Hearing aids are better these days than they've ever been before, but I'd still rather have my natural hearing when I'm an old geezer. As for our friend who has constant tinnitus: man, I feel for you bro. That sucks. I've got a friend who's got that.

Best bet for home defense is to get the tactical ears that someone has already mentioned. They give you an extra security boost by being able to amplify noise below 85 db, but cut off harmful noise. You can get these things for about $120 if you look around.

But for the range, get a REAL set of ears like the Peltor Ultimate (I think this is the name). They're the best on the market (highest noise reduction rating). Like some other folks here, I double-up - wear the Peltors plus foamies for double protection.

Every set of ears will list its noise reduction rating (NRR). Remember that every 3 db increase DOUBLES the loudness (or in the case of NRR, halves the loudness), so a set of ears with a NRR of 29 is eight times better than one with a NRR of 20 (two times two times two = eight).

Every catalog in existence sells the Peltors.