The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 29, 2000, 12:04 AM   #1
mrat

I read in this months Gun Tests that Autauga is getting out of the handgun business. I was thinking of picking up their MkII .32 while I still can. My only concern is replacement parts in the future. What is your guys experience with these?
Old July 29, 2000, 04:33 PM   #2
Jeff OTMG

My son and I both carry the Autauga MkII .32 auto. I liked mine so much I got him one for Christmas last year. They are all stainless steel and available from CDNN for $250. Don't know about parts availibility, but you aren't going to shoot it very much and a gunsmith can make things like firing pins and springs.
Old July 30, 2000, 12:57 AM   #3
mrat

Jeff,
My mental telepathy powers must be working, I posted this because I saw CDNN had them for $250.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old July 30, 2000, 11:53 AM   #4
Gary H

I've been looking at the same ad, but then I am considering the Kel-Tec, which can shoot any of the loads and judging by demand, will be in business for many years. I think that lack of response to the post is a result of poor sales..few own the gun.
Old July 31, 2000, 08:15 AM   #5
alamo

I own 2 Autaugas. They are great guns. I talked to the receptionist at Autauga a few months ago (no one else was available that day). She said that they had plenty of parts & the warranty will stay in effect on the guns they have sold & remaining ones to be sold. Autaugas' main business has always been custom rifle I believe, and that's what they're going to concentrate on.
You may want to call yourself and verify the above. Let us know if you hear anything different.
Old July 31, 2000, 04:16 PM   #6
alamo

I decided to go ahead & call myself to double check. They do have plenty of parts & they will continue to warranty all the guns. They apparently did a bulk sale of the remaining guns to CDNN.
As I mentioned, the Mk II is a great gun. It is slightly lighter than the Guardian and the trigger is lighter too. I have shot mine with silvertips and hydra-shoks & never had any failures of any kind. It comes with 2 magazines. I carry it daily & the finish is VERY durable. Nobody on TFL has reported any problems that I have seen (There was some sort of production problem with the first 500 produced but these were recalled & fixed).
I also own the P-32 and like it as well, the Autauga just fits better in my back pocket due to its smaller size.
$250 is a great price, you should consider it.
Old July 31, 2000, 07:13 PM   #7
johnwill

I have a Keltec P32 and the NAA Guardian. I prefer the P32, not only is it much lighter and thinner, but it sports an extra round too. Finally, the Keltec is a locked breech pistol, and it's a very soft shooting gun for it's size. The NAA is quite a bit heavier, and the felt recoil is considerably more than the Keltec. Keltec all the way.
Old August 1, 2000, 01:01 AM   #8
mrat

Thanks Alamo. You are correct their main business is custom rifles. My only problem now is I have to come up with the money.