The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1
kb2iaw

first time i heard of this ....

My Query lies not in the revolver ...nor the auto hand gun section ,
My query is a single shot pistol called the ?? chipmunk . It is or supposed to be a single shot target pistol selling for under $200.00 dollars . Made somewhere in Pennsylvania ..(could this be an AMISH MANUFACTURE ?? Nah ...they don`t do this sort of thing ...Anyone know anything about this product ??? Personally that is ...I have GOOGLED it but would like to know from personal experience if an under#200.00 shingle shot is worth the cost for a youth plinker to teach fire arms safety ..
Old March 12, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The little (really tiny) Chipmunk rifle was first made by Rogue in Oregon, then Keystone Sporting Arms in PA (Milton, IIRC) bought them out and as far as I know still makes the Chipmunk and Crickett. I am not aware that they make a handgun nor of anyone else using the Chipmunk name.

Jim
Old March 12, 2013, 06:04 PM   #3
BobCat45

Since I didn't have a clue, I searched for "chipmunk pistol" and found that Cricket does indeed sell a pistol called a chipmunk - go to http://www.crickett.com/products_new.php , near the bottom of the page.

Comes in .22 LR and .22 mag. It says "Action : Manual cocking single-bolt left handed action with a forged steel and machined low scope bolt handle."

Thanks for the amusing mystery!
Old March 12, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4
ihctractor

".....(could this be an AMISH MANUFACTURE ?? Nah ...they don`t do this sort of thing ..."

Your right, the Amish make and use much larger and way more expensive guns!

Never seen or heard of Cricket handgun.
I once had a .22 single shot revolver. It was mostly made of pot metal and the cylinder was fake. It was a top break, looked like an old Schofield revolver but only had one hole for a cartridge. Don't know who made it or where it got too. I suspect my father, years ago, made it disappear because it was of such poor quality that half the time you pulled the trigger the action would fall open and you had to shove a rod down the barrel to eject the shell.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:18 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Single shot .22's are military weapons with no place on the streets of America." - Obummer

(OK, he didn't say that but only because he was not aware that such evil guns exist.)

Jim
Old March 12, 2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Bob Wright

Savage made a single shot pistol, the Model 101 I believe. It looked like a small single action revolver, but the cylinder was a dummy, and was integral with the barrle. The action rolled out ot the right side for loading and ejecting.

As I recalled it sold for $19.95.

Bob Wright
Old March 12, 2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

That Cricket/Chipmunk sure is ugly. I wouldn't want any part of one of those. I'd love to get my hands on a Savage 101, though.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:20 AM   #8
kb2iaw

Well O.K. Thanks for the reply's ....So No One Here at this posting has any personal experience or knowledge with this pistol ... ( UGLY ??) Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ...i would like to exchange some thoughts with an owner or former user ....Thnx anyway .
Old March 13, 2013, 10:28 PM   #9
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright
Savage made a single shot pistol, the Model 101 I believe. It looked like a small single action revolver, but the cylinder was a dummy, and was integral with the barrle. The action rolled out ot the right side for loading and ejecting.

As I recalled it sold for $19.95.
I had one a few decades back, and found another one locally a couple years ago. The "cylinder" also has dummy bullets in it so it looks loaded from the front.
A little bigger than a Bearcat, but smaller than a Single Six or Frontier Scout.

SASS 47015
Old March 13, 2013, 11:01 PM   #10
lamarw

I suspect they are simplistic and will probably never wear out. The weird thing is it looks like all the bolt actions on the handgun open from the left side; therefore the bolts would not be interchangeable with the rifles. I did not follow the catalog. They may make lefty rifles.

I guess if you are a right handed shooter, you would want the bolt on a bolt action handgun on the left side. It almost seems a break-action would make more sense.
Old March 14, 2013, 12:35 PM   #11
buck460XVR

Quote:
I guess if you are a right handed shooter, you would want the bolt on a bolt action handgun on the left side.

Took me a while to figure out the reasoning behing the left handed bolt also till I kinda went thru the loading process in my head, then it made sense. I'm thinkin' in .22WMR, they'd be kinda neat. As far as ugly? I dunno....I've seen a lot of offerings from Ruger that were uglier.
Old March 17, 2013, 12:50 AM   #12
johnwilliamson062

Aren't they the same as the rifles with a shorter barrel and stock? Same action exactly I think. Anyone who knows the rifle could give the info you want.