The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 17, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1
SMITH910

Recommend a nice belt

If we pass CCW in WI soon, I need to look at belts. I want a 1.5" black belt, but have no idea what is decent for that purpose and since I'll be ordering online, I have limited info/photos. I intend to IWB carry a Kel Tec P32 at first. I like small guns and light guns, so no need to get a $100 extra thick belt. However, would something like a Boston Leather belt be okay? They are inexpensive on my cops plus website that I'll be getting my Galco holster from. I don't want to spend more than $40 and since my gun will be IWB AND be small and light, what might you suggest?
Thanks
Old June 17, 2011, 02:47 PM   #2
zxcvbob

I bought a "Last Chance" style web belt from Cabela's for $20 a few months ago. It holds my pants up (without a gun) better than any leather belt I've tried. And it works just fine when carrying a 4" service revolver, even after I stopped using Perry suspenders with it.

It might not be dressy enough for you, I dunno.
Old June 17, 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

Thickness of leather isn't the answer,,,

For a gunbelt you want a belt made of two thickness' of leather,,,
It really doesn't have to be rhino-hide thick,,,
Just two laminated and sewn layers.

It's to eliminate folding at the edge.

This gentleman makes as fine a gunbelt as anyone.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 17, 2011, 02:54 PM   #4
GURU1911

My favorite gunbelt

The "original wilderness instructors" belt---1.75" wide. Can procure easily from midway, brownell's, dillon, galco, or gunsite.

Heavy duty, double thickness nylon web construction. 5-row stitching, heavy duty steel rogard plated buckle. Rated @ 5,000 lbs. Tensile strength.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 17, 2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

I use an Aker B21.
Old June 17, 2011, 03:42 PM   #6
CWKahrFan

Maybe worth checking out... 511 has some on clearance right now for $5 (!).
I've got one on the way. Better hurry though... I wouldn't be suprised if they were all cleaned out this weekend. Note: The regular price is $44.99 but if you click on "brown" and "medium" (for example)... the price swiches to $5 and reads "in stock" (at this moment anyhow)... There are a few other $5 choices too...

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...l-Belt-15.html

Last edited by CWKahrFan; June 17, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old June 17, 2011, 08:35 PM   #7
BarryLee

Yes, I have also been looking around a little bit. Most holster manufacturers make belts and I do not think they are too expensive. I know Galco makes some and I have heard good things about the belts from Simply Rugged.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 17, 2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Doyle

I happened to be at Tractor Supply one day and decided to go check out their clothing section. They had 1 1/2" belts there so I tried one. Nice and thick and strong with decent looking leather. It was made in China, but I can live with that. Price was about $15.00 if I recall.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:06 PM   #9
wuluf

beltman

I've had one of Jim's for over 2 years, still looks new.

http://www.thebeltman.net/
Old June 17, 2011, 09:33 PM   #10
rayban

Here's a photo of a good one....made it myself...

Old June 17, 2011, 09:42 PM   #11
smoakingun

ligerthane, synthetic, not leather. holds tight, no flex, holds a full size pistol well
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:58 PM   #12
geetarman

Rayban,

SWEET!!! You make any for sale?

Geetarman
Old June 17, 2011, 10:23 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

Belts for concealment, firearms & gear....

There are a few well made choices out there depending on your uses & budget($$$).

Most savvy pistol-packers use designs from 5.11 Tactical, Galco, Bianchi, TheBeltman.net, Blackhawk, Greg Kramer, Unkle Mikes, Safariland, or Mitch Rosen.

To use a 1.5" width is good but a lined 1.25" would work for pocket or compact pistols.
The big point is to support & conceal a firearm with the related gear(magazines, white light, OC spray, cell phone/PDA, etc if used).
Blackhawk & 5.11 Tactical market decent leather like or nylon belts in colors or formats you could buy.

CF
www.PoliceHQ.com www.Galls.com www.Blackhawk.com www.QMuniforms.com
Old June 17, 2011, 10:42 PM   #14
zxcvbob

(I read this in another discussion thread here or on another similar board) You might want to check your local farm store for cow collars. (seriously) About 1.5" wide, 40-something inches long with a heavy duty buckle.
Old June 17, 2011, 11:07 PM   #15
BarryLee

Quote:
You might want to check your local farm store for cow collars.
Do they come with bells?

Sorry, but somone had to...
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 18, 2011, 02:05 AM   #16
ClydeFrog

Cow Patty...

I'd make a joke about crooner Jim Stafford's hit; Cow Patty but way more mature than that!

Old June 18, 2011, 06:42 PM   #17
Kreyzhorse

I bought a Ross Leather Gun Belt for under $50. Decent belt, didn't hold up longer than a year or so, but if you only carry a light gun, it should do the job for.
Old June 18, 2011, 06:57 PM   #18
JerryM

You do not need a heavy double thickness if all you are going to carry is a P32. However, I suspect you will become interest in other carry guns. When you get much above the P32 a heavier belt is recommended.
I have worn a thick one layer 1.5 inch belt for years, and as long as the gun is not heavier than a 642 it works. I also prefer 1.25 inch double layer belts to 1.5 inch belts. I have both but seldom wear the 1.5 inch belts.

I carry guns as heavy as a G26 and SA 1911 LW compact without any problems. If one carries a 5 inch steel 1911 the heavier belt is advantageous. But if I had to carry a 5 inch steel 1911 I would not carry often. It must be comfortable to be comforting to me.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 18, 2011, 11:09 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

Guns & nat....

I disagree with the members who say not to buy a lined or "gunfighter" type rig. You don't need to dress like a forest ranger or a 1950s era highway patrolman but you may need to tote more than just a compact polymer frame pistol or J frame .38spl snub sometimes.
Cell phones, pocket knives, flashlights-white lights, spare magazines, etc can add weight too.

It's like when you say; "I'm going to the store." Then you go to the post office, the dry cleaner, the bank, etc.
ClydeFrog
Old June 18, 2011, 11:44 PM   #20
Ringolevio

At the risk of repeating myself...

...from other posts on similar threads:

If you want a fabric belt, you can get a decent one from Wilderness or 5.11; just make sure you get their heaviest, stiffest model. They are not all that expensive.

But for a leather belt, don't cheap out. Spend $100 or so; it's a worthwhile investment. My own favorite belt-and holster-maker is Bob Mernickle, http://www.mernickleholsters.com/pb/pb7.html

I think Bob's belts are the equal of anyone's, and even superior to those by Bianchi or Safariland (and those are not junk).

Buy a cheapo leather belt and the few dollars you save will come back to haunt you. You'll find that $100 or so is the going rate for a quality leather gunbelt worthy of CCW use, and which will probably last you 10 years or more.

The true cost of an item is the purchase price divided by the number of times you use it!
Old June 18, 2011, 11:45 PM   #21
Echo Echo

"I'd make a joke about crooner Jim Stafford's hit; Cow Patty but way more mature than that!"

ClydeFrog, just remembering that song means you're 'more' mature.

Old June 19, 2011, 05:17 AM   #22
rayban

It's not necessary to spend $100 on a good quality gun belt...depending on the size, it can cost almost half that....I can prove it:

Old June 19, 2011, 07:57 AM   #23
Stealth01

Plus 1 for the beltman...
Old June 19, 2011, 04:33 PM   #24
JerryM

rayban,
I visited your site, and the belts look great. I admit that it is difficult to judge sometimes from photographs.
Right now I am not in the market for a belt, but is there a satisfaction guarantee on your leather? Thanks.

Several of the belts I own are RafterS that I purchased years ago before they went bad on their business practices. All were in the $50 range.There is a real need for a quality double thickness belt at the prices you show. Beltman makes a quality belt as does Sparks. I have both, but the prices sometimes discourage those who are not used to buying quality leather.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 19, 2011, 05:53 PM   #25
rayban

Absolutely Jerry, satisfactions is totally guaranteed.
I look forward to having you check one out.
Rick