The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old March 2, 2010, 08:02 AM   #51
2damnold4this

Quote:
Imagine if one of your dogs were loose and someone decided to shoot it because they felt it was a 'threat' - maybe to their cat or bird or flowerpatch... Imagine how PO'd you'd be at yourself, the dog getting loose, and the other person for shooting it. Maybe a beagle is a stretch, but what if you had a big dog that could be mistaken for a threat or a coyote... and someone blasted it for kicks.

Then maybe you can understand why it would upset someone else (aka me) when people justify shooting a coyote that's out minding its own business in the middle of some field.
Since the coyote doesn't belong to you, you shouldn't have a problem with someone shooting a coyote.

I think it's been made abundantly clear that coyotes are not only not endangered but need to be controlled in certain areas. The federal government thinks coyotes need to be controlled and uses poisons. State governments think they need to be controlled and the majority of us on this board feel the same way.

Quote:
As for being a troll, like I said before if you wanna tell a hunting story that involves some skill of a hunt, I'm all ears. While 'hunting' certainly can be 'sport only', I like to think of it as hunting for the sake of eating or using the animal. Effectively stepping off your back porch and capping a large dog a few hundred meters away with a bolt action rifle just ain't huntin' and ain't impressive...

Here's my "hunting" story: Dear diary. Today I was at the range. There was a gong 400 meters away. I shot it. It rang. That's all.
If you think shooting a coyote with a 112 year old iron sighted rifle at 400 yards doesn't take skill, you must be a godlike master of shooting. I think it's more likely that you are upset that someone shot one of your coyotes and simply decided to try and insult the op.
Old March 2, 2010, 08:04 AM   #52
2damnold4this

Quote:
72, Mighty noble of you...
Yep
Old March 2, 2010, 08:17 AM   #53
Uncle Buck

I do not believe that LC is a troll. He has contributed to other discussions on the forum and is very informative in them. I just think he either will not or can not see anyone else's side. (Maybe that is just the lawyer in him )

If your dog is just harmlessly in someone else's field, he does not belong there. And I have seen a German Shepard mistaken for a coyote and shot. That German Shepard was also stalking a cow/calf pair. When my Shepard is off the leash, she stays with me. If she takes off, I actively look for her. I understand she looks very much like a coyote from the back side (lots of gray and brownish yellow in her hair).

But I wonder, if we switched the coyote with a Raccoon, or even a skunk, would LC feel the same way? What about a rat, a hog or an opossum? All of these animals carry diseases and vermin I do not want near my livestock and they are known to travel miles to food sources.

I like animals, I think coyotes and wolves are beautiful and I have seen a few very nice looking raccoons and skunks. But I do not let my opinion of them get in the way of doing what I know needs to be done.

I applaud the guys who can get out there and wait for the coyotes (and the wild hogs!).
Old March 2, 2010, 09:37 AM   #54
Singlesix1954

First let me make clear that this was a 100 yrd shot with a 112 yr old iron sight gun...not 400 yrds. I wasn't sure I could make the 400 yrd shot so I risked looseing the yote without shooting and sneeked more closing the gap.
Second I have a Yellow lab that is with me day & night. Nobody likes dogs more than me. That said if a dog becomes "trouble" I.E. bitteing folks or killing livestock it is delt with. A few years ago my German Wirehair Pointer (who I was quite fond of ) bit a customer on the arm, sinking her k-9s to the bone.
The dog was not sick, she thought she was protecing my wife. This was her 3 strike. It was the first time she drew blood. Luck was with me because she bit a man who not only I had known my whole life but also loves dogs. This could have proven to be a bad lawsuit if it had been a stranger. Anyway after all shot records were presented to the vic. the dog was put down.
Third if I see a dog in my field I can tell it from a wild coyote. Don't assume people who "hunt" only do it to kill. Most hunters hunt for an out door adventure. Alot of folks who hunt meat also use cameras to capture natures grace. Try filling a album with photos of pop-up targets and see how mutch people enjoy it. LC you should go on a deer hunt or a day trip calling coyotes and bring a camera just to see how it is a true sport with challenge. If you go looking for A-pex preditors (bears,lions,or even russain bore) don't forget you pepper spray.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954

Last edited by Singlesix1954; March 2, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old March 2, 2010, 10:42 AM   #55
shortwave

I`m with Uncle Buck. I don`t believe LC's a troll. He`s contributed over 1100 posts to TFL.

What I do believe is he has a young man`s closed/immature mind and if he doesn`t change will end up having an old man`s ignorant mind.

Probably safe to say he`s guilty of responding to other topic's without much knowledge of them either.
Not a sign of a `good` lawyer (if he is one).

Old saying "Hard head makes soft a#^ every time".

The common since given to him here on this thread is something he should think about.

LC, Your the one still guilty of 'shortsighted folly' and still owe Singlesix an apology.

Last edited by shortwave; March 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old March 2, 2010, 11:49 AM   #56
2damnold4this

Quote:
First let me make clear that this was a 100 yrd shot with a 112 yr old iron sight gun...not 400 yrds. I wasn't sure I could make the 400 yrd shot so I risked looseing the yote without shooting and sneeked more closing the gap.
A 300 yard stalk on a coyote is impressive.
Old March 2, 2010, 03:29 PM   #57
Hunter Customs

Yes a 300 yard stalk is impressive, especially when the wind is at the stalkers back and in the coyotes face.
I've hunted and killed coyotes for a lot of years, as I said before congradulations to Singlesix1954 on a successful hunt and a job well done.

I had a bleeding heart question me once about my killing of coyotes, my reply was "instinct".

As for being able to hit a stationary gong at 400 yards, that's a walk through the park.
I have a bull barrel 243 that shoots 3/8 MOA at 100 yards and I've routinely dropped coyotes at 1/4 mile plus with it.
There's nothing like hitting a yote that thinks he got away, trots out there, turns to look back and does not even realize that's the last thing he did.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old March 2, 2010, 03:32 PM   #58
Uncle Buck

SingleSix - Still an impressive shot after stalking it. Heck, if I was trying to do it with open sights, I might have scared it away.
Old March 2, 2010, 06:15 PM   #59
johnwilliamson062

Local Dayton news just ran a report on Coyotes moving into urban areas. Complaints inside the city limits of dogs being killed.
Illegal to shoot in city, so their wildlife/animal control officer suggested clapping if you see one...

Quote:
What I do believe is he has a young man`s closed/immature mind and if he doesn`t change will end up having an old man`s ignorant mind.
Talk about an old man's ignorant mind... Could you make a few wider more offensive generalizations?

Quote:
Probably safe to say he`s guilty of responding to other topic's without much knowledge of them either.
I can faintly remember reading posts on other subjects by LC. I don't think your description characterized them in the slightest.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 2, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:49 PM   #60
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I get a wee tad fed up with egregious exaggerations such as "Imagine if one of your dogs were loose and someone decided to shoot it because they felt it was a 'threat' - maybe to their cat or bird or flowerpatch... Imagine how PO'd you'd be at yourself, the dog getting loose, and the other person for shooting it."

It has nothing to do with the thread at all. It doesn't relate to the OP at all. Red herrings and all that stuff that's a big no-no to the prof in a course in Logic.

Me, I try to hold down the coyote numbers a bit just because they compete with me for the quail birds. "MY yummy-tasty, Mr. Wily, not yours!" Gotta have some around, though, for the music at night.

Varies with occupation and locale. I'm not raising chickens or goats, and I don't have a small child like some folks in Tucson or Phoenix. Nor am I a little photo-jounalist gal like the one in Canada who was killed by coyotes...
Old March 2, 2010, 08:04 PM   #61
robhof

robhof

I guess I would be the worst of the worst; as a teen many, many years ago I got my shooting practice in by reducing the stray cat and dog populations on local farms. It seems that alot of people, even today feel that a farm is the ideal place to dump excess pets. Not all farmers appreciate the additional mouths to feed and most animal control ends at the city limits. I have owned both cats and dogs, but if they're free ranging on someone's property then they're fair game. I've shot yotes and prairie dogs for population control and exercising my shooting ability.
Old March 2, 2010, 08:42 PM   #62
Big Bill

I love to shoot coyotes and watch em bounce around an kick till they die. It's so much fun! I can't wait till the next coyote hunt. I don't eat em, but I do skin em and sell the fur. It's strictly a commercial venture.

I think that anyone who can't see the fun in that is a pinhead!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old March 3, 2010, 06:47 PM   #63
shortwave

johnwilliamson wrote:

Quote:
Talk about an old man`s ignorant mind...Could you make a few wider more offensive generalizations?
"old man`s ignorant mind... Hey!!! I resemble that statement.

Translation of my post... Not a wide 'offensive' generalization at all since
the definition of the word ignorant shouldn`t be confused with anything being offensive. Has to do with the lack of knowledge (or the ignorance) LC has about the damage coyote's do.
Furthermore he refuse`s accept the amount of distruction the coyote can do if left un-checked

Hince my further statement in same post " The common since given to him here on this thread is something he should think about".

If he doesn`t think about the common-since, he`ll be just as ignorant when he`s older.

If your referring to the "young man's closed/immature mind" part as being offensive.

Re-read the thread!

All LC's statements prove he`s not willing to see anybody else`s way but his own and even resulted to name calling. IMO, that's a sign of a closed/immature mind.

Hope this straightened out the meaning of my post.

Sorry for the confusion.

Again, he owe`s the OP an APOLOGY

Last edited by shortwave; March 3, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old March 3, 2010, 07:00 PM   #64
foghorn leghorn

hey singlesix, what a controversy.
do you ever watch predator quest on cable. he off them 'yotes all day long.

I'd like to see a picture of that left eye, right ear shot. You got one from the hunt?

old foggy

Old March 4, 2010, 08:08 AM   #65
Singlesix1954

I guess I didn't think to take any graphic shots of entry/exit, but I do have a 2 pics. of me, the "Krag", and the "woof" just as I got her back up to the yard here. I'll see if I can get my 15 yr old to post them on this thread over the weekend... If you all think the bunny huggers won't burn me at the stake.
The coyote was turned over to a "wildlife artist" monday and is expected back in 4 or 5 months.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old March 4, 2010, 09:08 AM   #66
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Let's put this one away until the next time the subject comes up.

And it will...
Closed Thread