The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 8, 2009, 12:16 AM   #26
popeyespappy

Quote:
Yes, I believe its under the brand name Equate or Great Value.
LOL! I can see it now.

Equate .357 Remington Magnum 125 Gr JHP
Compare to Speer Gold Dot
Old January 8, 2009, 04:14 AM   #27
CWiley

I use the WWB 230gr JHPs for self defense. There may be better out there but you can't really say anything bad about these bullets.
Old January 8, 2009, 08:17 PM   #28
JohnH1963

Im not certain and I do not know, but I think the Winchester generics might be an older design of jhps that they once sold. They would be fools to simply remarket their most current products under a different name. Then everyone would simply buy the generics once they found out that there was no difference.

Most of the time, when you are at the range, it doesnt make sense to use a jacketed hollow point when all you need is a full metal jacket. Does the JHP fire differently out of the pistol then the FMJ? They both feel the same to me.

So you only really need JHP for those times in which you will actually fire them at humans (which would be almost never). I would buy the generic full metal jacket bullets, but I would stick with the premium ammo for those few times when you need that extra edge.
Old January 8, 2009, 08:35 PM   #29
Nnobby45

I trust Win. JHP's to be as good as always, using technology a couple decades old, but not as far as bullets using the latest technology.

I'm in disagreement with those who choose SD defense ammo based on cost. Their theory is, inevitably, "it's where you hit 'em that count's".

My theory is, hit 'em where it counts with the best bullet available.

Check out the price on the excellent, and reasonably priced, Federal HST, and carry that--- or Golden Saber or CorBon or Gold DOT.
Stock up on Walmart's Win. JHP's so you'll have a supply of backup come what may.
Old January 8, 2009, 08:52 PM   #30
Rick61

Quote:
wallyworld rarely sells any .40S&W jhp, let alone 165gr jhp.
They sell a bunch of the S&W 40 180gr jhp here, I have 100 sitting in the cabinet & another 500 of the WWB 165gr fmj's.
Old January 8, 2009, 09:05 PM   #31
Brit

Which Dr.? No he was not a Witch Dr.

Quote:
Reminds me of along time ago a doctor friend of mine wanted a Browning .22 rifle. I told him they had them at Wal-Mart. He secrewed up his face and said, "but are they any good?"

If you get Winchester, Remington, CCI, and Federal JHPs at Wal-mart, I can assure you they are the same Winchester, Remington, CCI, and Federal JHPs you get at any fancy store. They don't sell 'seconds' in the sporting goods section. Deaf
Deaf, this broke me up!
Old January 8, 2009, 11:17 PM   #32
Crosshair

As others have said, they aren't the top of the line, but they are worlds ahead of ball ammo.

I'd rather average have ammo that I know is reliable in my gun rather than have a higher quality ammo with the nagging uncertainty of not testing the gun with that ammo as much as I should have because of cost.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:21 PM   #33
KUHIO

Absolutely not! Send everything you've bought to me immediately.

Pm me for shipping info
Old January 8, 2009, 11:43 PM   #34
G-man 26

why not?

Heck, the 100rd winchester fmj 115gr white box, and the 100rd remington jhp 115gr box are only 2 or 3 dollars difference. They feel the same in any one of my 9mm pistols. I practice with the Winchester, and stock pile the Remington. Once in a while, I run my mags empty, and refill with new jhp. Cheap, and reliable, what more could one ask for?

"Punch holes in them and let the hydraulic fluid run out. They'll go limp and fail to operate."
Old January 12, 2009, 09:55 AM   #35
Chuckusaret

I use all WalMart ammo with the exception of my 9MM and 40 cal SD ammo which is Federal HydroShok. I too had problems firing the cheap (WWB) stuff thru my S&W M&P 9mm and 40 cal. until I was told to polish the ramps on each. Polished ramps and now both eat any ammo without fail.