The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 26, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1
PT-92

Rifle in JFK's Oval Office?

I happened to be researching Theodore Roosevelt and his proclivity for the Second Amendment when I came across this photo of a rifle hung on the Oval Office Wall of JFK. Might anyone know the origin of it (make, model brief history of the gun...)? Just curios as I know the Kennedy's were/are notorious antis (perhaps the quintessential definition thereof).

While not a 'Kennedy family' fan so to speak, I do appreciate his Naval Service to our nation as well as his fallen brother Joe who perished in the air war of WWII.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old September 26, 2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Redhawk5.5+P+

Just a guess, the first thing that came to mind is a military single shot breach loader .45 from the late 1800s.
Old September 26, 2012, 11:06 PM   #3
BarryLee

Quote:
Kennedy also mounted gifts he received from visiting dignitaries, such as a rifle on one wall and a
ceremonial sword on another. He also had framed photos of famous people and meetings and
“regularly changed the photos with newer ones,” says Matteo.
Did a quick search and found the .pdf describing the set preparation for a movie about the Kennedys. It states that the rifle was a gift, but goes into no more detail. If you are really interested you might try to contact the JFK Library or visit their WEB site.

http://cache.reelz.com/assets/conten...rod-design.pdf
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 27, 2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Ideal Tool

Hello, everyone. I zoomed up the magnification..From the shape of action & lever..I believe it is a Spencer carbine. Christopher Spencer gave a live firing demenstration with president Lincoln..and Lincoln fired a few shots himself. Could this be a tribute to that long ago shooting outing?
Old September 27, 2012, 12:24 AM   #5
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Hello, everyone. I zoomed up the magnification..From the shape of action & lever..I believe it is a Spencer carbine.
I can see that after doing a short search. I think below it, it looks to me like a wall thermostat.
Old September 27, 2012, 02:00 AM   #6
steveno

I believe that JFK was a NRA member
Old September 27, 2012, 05:03 AM   #7
HiBC

Actually,JFK was an NRA Life member,he supported the Director of Civilian Marksmanship program,and was known to give rifles such as Weatherbys as diplomatic gifts.

I'm not a Kennedy fan,but I'll give credit where it is due.

Its truly sad that the revisionist historians and agenda driven politicians have corrupted this part of JFK into something he was not.

When JFK was in office,YMCA's,public schools,etc had indoor smallbore ranges, the rifles such as Reminton 513T's,and ammo were provided by uncle Sam,and that was when,similar to CMP,you could get an M-1 Carbine for about$20,I think a Garand was what,$60?.

As a 12 year old kid without a dad around,I had access to a 50 ft indoor range,rifles,ammo,a coach,and the NRA smallbore program.JFK was president.This was in Aurora,Ill.Culturally,responsible shooting sports were quite mainstream.

Last edited by HiBC; September 27, 2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old September 27, 2012, 06:04 AM   #8
steveno

we had a rifle range in the basement of the high school. I know they were Remington rifles but I don't remember the model number. I doubt the kids in school there now even know that now
Old September 27, 2012, 07:12 AM   #9
PT-92

Thanks for the feedback (I've learned some stuff already!).

-Cheers
Old September 27, 2012, 07:18 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Yes, my recollection is that JFK was definitely not anti-gun. I don't know what Robert's views were. Teddy, of course, was a notorious anti-gun person, but that attitude may have developed due to losing two brothers to assassination.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Culturally,responsible shooting sports were quite mainstream."

And yet you still grew up and hang out in back room internet firearms chat forums...

Where did you ever go wrong???

I suspect the thing on the wall under the rifle is actually a plaque detailing what the gun is, and from whom it was presented.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:20 AM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC
,YMCA's,public schools,etc had indoor smallbore ranges, the rifles such as Reminton 513T's,and ammo were provided by uncle Sam,and that was when,similar to CMP,you could get an M-1 Carbine for about$20,I think a Garand was what,$60?.

As a 12 year old kid without a dad around,I had access to a 50 ft indoor range,rifles,ammo,a coach,and the NRA smallbore program.JFK was president.This was in Aurora,Ill.Culturally,responsible shooting sports were quite mainstream.
See, now I'm going to be depressed all day. How far we have fallen.

In regards to the rifle, without zooming in or whatnot on the picture, that "thing" under it looks like it's holding it up, to me.... it's a shelf.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:36 AM   #13
BlueTrain

Oh, yeah, those were the good old days. My father's take home pay was about $75 a week for six days work, plus evenings. No school in my home town had a range, either.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Supposedly when it was built my high school in Pennsylvania had a rifle range in the basement, but I never bothered to confim it when I was there.

Old September 27, 2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My school had an active (though mis-managed) rifle team into the mid-90s at least. I've often wondered what happened to those rifles.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:34 AM   #16
aarondhgraham

My high school had a rifle team,,,

Moore High School (Moore, OK) was one of the first schools in Oklahoma (1967-68) to have a sunken football field.

The west berm (end zone) had a gap in the seating,,,
That's where our rifle team practiced.

You (I) had to supply your own single-shot or bolt action rifle and ammo,,,
The retired Colonel who ran the Junior ROTC program coached us.

As far as I know none of our team grew up to be a mass murderer.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 27, 2012, 10:51 AM   #17
roashooter

topic drift

sorry to add to the topic drift, but the comments of schools having shooting programs brought back memories. as a student in a small, west texas, farm community, we did not have a shooting program. but you could count on most all the pickup trucks in the school lot, having a shotgun/rifle rack in the rear window, with a shotgun at least, and many with a rifle as well, displayed.
it was common, was not considered a risk to the safety of the students, and I never heard that one was ever stolen......this was 1964-1969.....my have times changed
Old September 27, 2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
Christopher Spencer gave a live firing demenstration with president Lincoln..and Lincoln fired a few shots himself. Could this be a tribute to that long ago shooting outing?
Tribute? It could well be the Spencer that Lincoln shot!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 27, 2012, 11:21 AM   #19
youngunz4life

I might contact the library. I would like to know the significance of this firearm if any. I am guessing it was a gift..but to who, when, and from whom?
Old September 27, 2012, 11:32 AM   #20
RickB

JFK was apparently a big fan of the AR. His Secret Service detail was occasionally armed with them, and he kept one on his boat.
Since most U.S. Presidents, prior to Jimmy Carter, were not anti-gun if not actually pro-gun, Colt made fancy engraved guns for presentation to them. The one for JFK was not ready yet at the time of his assassination, so the gun was never presented.
I'm sure Carter, Clinton, and Obama all avoided the horror of being presented with an engraved, gold inlaid commemorative from the Colt custom shop.
The anti-gun legacy of the Kennedy family did not start with JFK, but probably with his death.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:54 PM   #21
BarryLee

I visited the JFK Library WEB site and could not find any information, but did find another photo. The photo is very similar, but in color and allows you to enlarge it.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-View...unYyotpyw.aspx
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 27, 2012, 01:10 PM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, it's definitely not a shelf holding that rifle up, as there's an airgap of about an inch, or more, between the dark rectangle underneath the rifle and the butt.

Old September 27, 2012, 01:38 PM   #23
aarondhgraham

This is the best I can do as far as enlarging with some detail.

The rectangle looks like a display placard,,,

Aarond

Attached Images
File Type: jpg KennedyRifle.jpg (78.5 KB, 599 views)
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 27, 2012, 01:49 PM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

Macy's in Brooklyn, NY used to sell war surplus rifles. Springfields and Enfields and Mausers real cheap. Now it's a yuppy clothes store and guns in NYC - nah.
Old September 27, 2012, 02:22 PM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

Boy that certainly looks like a Spencer carbine...

Regarding Macy's...

My former Father in Law was in his Army uniform home on leave and went into NYC. He bought a shotgun at Macy's. They didn't have bags or boxes for it, so he simply walked to the subway, took it to Grand Central, and caught the commuterline to White Plains.

He said the only person who even looked at him funny was the LIRR conductor who wanted to know if it was loaded or not.

That would have been sometime in the early 1950s.