The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2009, 07:48 PM   #1
Edward429451

Don't Let the Zinc WW's Melt in with the Lead!!

I have heard this for years, and smelt my WW's with care and at low temps so the zinc can be culled out. Good advice......Uh, Why?

What happens to the lead if you do melt zinc in it too? As far as I know, I've never let it happen, but I'm not sure anyones ever said why?

Usually I learn the hard way but I guess I get lucky this time, so lets hear your horror story of what happened when you didn't start culling the zinc soon enough!
Old November 6, 2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Crosshair

Zinc is a contaminate that prevents the mold from filling out completely. The Zinc significantly increases the surface tension of the melt, meaning it will be impossible to get good fill. The zinc cannot be easily separated and the metal that has been contaminated is now worthless for casting.

From what I have read, a 1-to-10,000 ratio is enough to cause problems.
Old November 11, 2009, 11:14 PM   #3
reloader28

If the zinc floats to the top while youre melting the WW, why wouldnt it float to top in the lead pot? Anyone?? I havent had this problem or know anyone else that has so I cant ask them. I dont know, but it seems to me it would.

Last edited by reloader28; November 12, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old November 12, 2009, 07:30 AM   #4
GP100man

when ya get ahold of some contaminated alloy you`ll know it!!!

Just as Crosshair posted you`ll never cast a good bullet with it no matter what ya do !!

You can dilute it to get acceptable results but I would keep doing what your doing , keep the temps low & skim em off!!!
Old November 12, 2009, 11:54 AM   #5
batman44

?

how do you tell if ww are zinc
Old November 12, 2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Crosshair

Quote:
how do you tell if ww are zinc
There are two reliable ways.

1) Watch the melt temp and skim off the ones that don't melt, these ones are either still or zinc. Keep the melt below 700-725°F (650-675°F preferably.) and you will be fine. Lead melts at 621.43°F while Zinc melts at 787.96°F. Until it gets hot enough to melt, all that Zinc WW will do is float.

2) Drop the wheel weights onto the ground. There is a saying, "If it *tinks*, it's zinc." There is a very obvious difference in sound when they hit the floor. This method is a great way to get people to not be so paranoid and just use the first method because it takes FOREVER to get through even a small quantity of weights. You'll be sick of this method after about 15 minutes.
Old November 12, 2009, 08:11 PM   #7
trip_sticker

Another way to tell zinc weights is some of them are stamped with the letters Zn on them and they are rivited to the steel clip, not poured onto them. A lot of them will be shiny too compared to the dull drab color of lead weights.