The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2009, 11:04 PM   #1
CPTMurdoc30

Scale platform.

Ok So I used to sit and reload but now my bench sits at waist height and I stand to reload as my dillon is on the strong mount and the RCBS RS5 is on a stack of 2x6's. I had teh scale sitting on the bench for the longest time. This would cause me to bend and stoup over all the time and after about 10 shells my back would start hurting. So I had some extra Poplar in the shed and decided to see if I couldn't Build me a stand to raise the scale to eye level. This is what I came up with.
IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

To build this you will need.

2 1x3x18" for legs
1 1/2x6x16 for top (can use 1x6)
2 1x6x3" for feet
1 1x6x14.5" for inside stabilizer
2 3.5x3.5" triangles
18 2" screws or 16 nails and 2 2" screws.
Old November 8, 2009, 08:17 AM   #2
flashhole

Good idea.

I have never been able to sit while reloading. I'm always standing no matter what process step I'm doing, brass prep, priming, charging, seating, and my gear is mounted to a conventional work bench. I get a stiff neck after awhile because my head is always down. To remedy that I am building a new bench that is 45" tall. That brings the presses and dies up to a significantly lesser neck strain level and I will keep my scale on the top shelf as well. I bought the material two days ago and started cutting and assembling yesterday. I will paint it prior to use because I know if I jump the gun and start using it right away it will never get painted. It's turning out to be more work (and money) than I anticipated but it is very stout.

Are you ready for civil war?