The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2009, 04:19 AM   #1
alwayspackin1

7.62 x 51 military cases.

I have roughly 100 rounds of Argentinian Surplus 7.62x51 that is brass cased, and cleaned up nice when tumbled.

I know that one can not resize 5.56x45 using .223 remington dies, but is the same true for the 7.62 stuff and .308 Win dies? in other words, are they a truly different cartridge? or just civilian/military nomenclature?

i don't have enough of the 7.62 stuff to warrant buying separate dies right now, if there is such a thing.
Old November 4, 2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Sport45

Quote:
I know that one can not resize 5.56x45 using .223 remington dies,
I've never heard you can't size 5.56 NATO with .223 Rem dies and I've done it often.

As far as I know you can use .308 dies on 7.62 brass as well. The caution with using NATO brass was to reduce the loads a bit to compensate for the lesser case volume.
Old November 4, 2009, 05:08 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

That's correct. .223 and .308 dies are just fine for the NATO spec brass. There is a few thousandths difference in the length of NATO 7.62 chambers as compared to the civilian chambers, and both the 5.56 and 7.62 NATO spec chambers have more freebore to accept a wide variety of specialty rounds. But, otherwise, since the new NATO brass starts out with the same dimensions as their commercial counterparts, the sizing dies that work for one work for the other.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 4, 2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typos
Old November 4, 2009, 05:56 PM   #4
alwayspackin1

thanks a ton guys. that is a load off of my mind now.
Old November 4, 2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Mark whiz

As the others have said, regular .308Win dies are fine for military brass.

BUT, make sure those cases are boxer primed and are reloadable - as a great deal of foreign NATO brass is berdan primed and takes special dies, de-primers, and primers that are not commonly available.................and will destroy the de-priming pin on your standard sizing die.
!
Old November 6, 2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Ivan

Hello Folks,

Instead of always assuming military cases are thicker than commercial, I suggest you just weigh them for a comparison. That is also the chance to discard any overly heavy or overly light cases. (I just use those for dummy rounds to use for setting up dies.)

With .223 / 5.56 mm, I generally find almost no difference between military and commercial cases. With .308 and 7.62 mm, There often is a significant difference.

- Ivan.
Old November 6, 2009, 07:06 PM   #7
TargetTerror

Its not entirely clear from your post whether you fired these in your gun or not. Once-fired military brass can often be a pain to resize if it was shot in a machinegun or other military gun with a large chamber. If that is the case, I would recommend a small base die for at least your first loading to ensure easy chambering.