The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2011, 07:30 PM   #1
chasep255

Speed Feed Stock

I like the idea of this stock for storing slugs. Does anyone have any experience on on of these? Also does it bother your cheek when shouldering the gun?
Old May 19, 2011, 07:26 PM   #2
drail

I have never owned one and while it does seem to be a clever idea I have read quite a few reports (some from LEOs) that the stock can inadvertantly release shells just from recoil or impact with a solid object. (door frames, the ground, etc.) I do have an 870 set up with Speedfeed synthetic stock (with no shell storage) and forearm and like it fine. I carry extra rounds in a buttcuff attached to the stock's right side.
Old May 22, 2011, 01:05 AM   #3
bamaranger

no probs

We have several ammo storage speed feed stocks in the district, and I have seen them shot a lot on the firing line, and have not witnessed any dumped rounds from the stock. But I suppose it certainly could happen, just not in my experience. But it is a device and devices fail.

I like the idea of on board extra ammo for a duty or combat shotgun, particularly if not equipped with a mag extension. Four, or 5/4+1, if you have time , is not much ammo to go to a fight with.

Onboard ammo increases the weight on any gun, so I think on a hunter, its not recommend. And ducks, turkeys, etc, don't shoot back. One of our guys has a 20" 870 w/ extension (7 shots) side saddle (6?) and speed feed (4). Weighs a ton, but 17 rds of 12ga to grab and run (to cover of course).
Old May 22, 2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Gehrhard

LOVE the SpeedFeed +4 stocks and for guns that didn't have 'em to begin with I've even bought two-after-the-fact and put 'em on! In fact, I waited extra MONTHS to get my short 590A1 just because one with a Speed Feed +4 from the factory just could not be found...

There is no conflict with one's face (especially if you are a right-handed shooter -- the shells are towards the bottom of the stock on the left side). I have not had any rounds pop-out and they really can't under recoil. The springs push the spare rounds forward into the lip that holds the shells over the rim of the crimp. So, they tighten when you shoot. I suppose slamming the gun butt-down onto the ground really fast could unhook them but, man, I can't see that happening with enough force practically speaking...

Gehr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speed Feed +4 Stock w-round being removed.jpg (1.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Gehrhard; May 22, 2011 at 11:41 AM.