The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 8, 2009, 10:00 AM   #1
howl

Cabela's 1858 New Army Target for turkeys

We can use these in GA. I'd rather a cartridge gun, but that is not legal.

What is the practical range for a 3" kill zone on a 20 pound turkey? And while I'm posting about oddball stuff, how long do you think a reflex red dot sight would last sitting on one of these? I'm thinking I would get a conversion cylinder for all the necessary practice and perhaps cheat with a red dot.
Old April 8, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2
grymster2007

I don't know about hunting turkeys, but you got me wanting to tacticalize my '58. Maybe a red dot, a suppressor and a tactical light mounted underneath.
Old April 9, 2009, 07:50 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Got to have a bi-pod or it's not complete.
Old April 9, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4
williamfeldmann

everyone's a commedian today

While it would be funny to see a '58 with a bipod (maybe a buffalo model), the added stabilty isn't going to help that much at the range you will be shooting.

With a target-rifled (progressive rifling) barrel, I think Midway or Dixie still sells them, that 3 inch target would be no problem out to 25-30 yards or even farther if you are really steady. Just dial it in for the range of your choice. My target model has the regular (not progressive) barrel on it and for a 3" shot, I don't think I would get much farther than 20 yards. It doesn't take much to cause a miss, even an uneven load will do it. You will really want to practice up for that shot.
Old April 9, 2009, 10:55 AM   #5
44capnball

Even without the progressive rifling you might be able to work up a bp or 777 load to put a ball into 3" at 25 yards. From a rest or prone position of course.

A red dot on a bp revolver would be a travesty.
Old April 10, 2009, 02:42 AM   #6
gmatov

Come on. You said Berdan's recruits had to hit a floating buoy at 1500 yards, and now you say the guy MIGHT be able to work up a load for a Rem Target model to hit 3 inches at 25 yards?

If I can't do that with my own, BUT, off the bench, I will hang up my old glasses and my guns.

Cheers,

George
Old April 10, 2009, 08:38 AM   #7
williamfeldmann

I don't know about you guys, but when I am hunting I rarely have my bench along.

Hitting a 3" head off a bag rest is a lot different than hitting a 3" head off a knee rest at the same distance, not to mention adrenaline, etc. Work up a load and practice OFF the bench and you will do fine out to 20-25 yards.
Old April 10, 2009, 11:53 AM   #8
howl

Shots would be rested off the knees. I'm not about to try to hit one in the head with a bullet. Thinking more like breaking the wings while taking out the vitals like you do with a bow.
Sounds like the gun will be up to it. Question is whether or not I can keep cool enough to pull it off. Those turkeys get me a little worked up!

Thanks for the info. I agree on the aesthetics, but I think I'll want the help of a dot on such a tough shot. Doesn't look that bad:

Old April 11, 2009, 04:51 PM   #9
joejeweler

Shoot a turkey at close enough range with that 1858 New Army,......

....and you get "smoked" turkey right away!