The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 1999, 07:39 PM   #1
Patrick Graham

Hi all :-)
Does anyone have any favorite 30 Carbine
loads?????
Patrick
Old February 6, 1999, 09:51 PM   #2
Cheapo

14.2 WW296, 120-gr cast gas check (I think it's a Lyman, the mold # starts with 311), GI brass, CCI 400 primers.

Goes 1911 fps from a G.I. job, about 70 fps less than some Brazilian factory stuff. The bullet is a somewhat pointy one, and we've used at least two different lubes with equally great results.

Cheapo
Old February 7, 1999, 05:11 PM   #3
Walt Welch

Cheapo; you are truly a fine person. A tear is streaking down my face as I remember the halcyon days of yore. When the DCM actually SOLD MILITARY WEAPONS to CIVILIANS. It had to do with helping the civilians to become familiar with these weapons, in case they ever entered the military, since becoming one with the gun takes more than a few months. Of course, this is an outmoded concept now .

Yes, the DCM charged me $17 for my M1 Carbine, which was a brand new one made by Winchester in 1959. I bought it in 1966.

I fired many thousands of that great 311359 pointed lead gaschecked bullet. I can remember the Lyman mold number right off the top of my head. There was also a more round nosed bullet which I cast in hollow point, #311316 gas check. This was a most impressive bullet on small animals and beer cans. In fact, you could put a water filled beer can on a fence post, put one of the hollow points, made from wheel weights, into the can, and it would explode. Further, there were holes in the bottom of the can from fragments. It really EXPANDED.

Oh, by the way, you are not supposed to shoot lead bullets in the M1 Carbine, as the lead can block the gas port hole, however, both me and my Carbine were unaware of this, and nothing untoward happened.

Increase your loads VERY SLOWLY in the M1 Carbine; the weapon had to be made to work at a higher pressure than anticipated, due to poor ballistics, so the working pressure is closer to proof pressure than in most firearms. I found this out once by finding my last 15 rounds all had pierced primers.

So, be careful out there. Walt