The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
TxFlyFish

Tell me about the Beretta 1934 1935 948

I've been reading on these beautiful guns for the last couple of weeks but am craving for more in depth material. It seems these days there's more attention devoted to german and russian firearms. For instance, in what capacity were these used in the Italian military, especially in the post war decades. How can you tell the difference between commercial issue and military issue in post war pieces (the wartime ones are often stamped with army, navy, airforce, german and romanian markings, but these are usually not present in post war pieces). Why did some branches use the 1951 while the army decided to keep on issuing 1934?

pics and shooting impressions are always welcome
Old March 29, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Ozzieman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_M1934

Have you tried wikipedia?
Do a search on each model and beretta at wiki

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:30 PM   #3
TxFlyFish

Ozzie not sure if you're being sarcastic but I'm looking for more in depth info than that. There are folks out there that have studied these firearms in much more detail than what's on the internet.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:53 PM   #4
RickB

I've had one for more than 25 years, and the depth of my knowledge extends no further than field-stripping and cleaning. I've literally never shot it, but do pull it out of the safe for a little annual preventive maintenance.
The gun feels good in the hand, but the safety works through an awkward, 180-degree rotation that wouldn't work well for getting into quick action.
Old March 31, 2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Ozzieman

No I wasn’t, but normally Wiki also gives resources to look farther.
Then these resources will give you more resources and onward and upward. There is a list of these at the bottom of the page.
Some people ask questions here and never do a search. Sorry wasn’t trying to be sarcastic, only helpful.
I would also suggest the Gun Digest on Beretta.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2508172...Types&var=sbar

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 31, 2013, 09:48 AM   #6
PSP

I have a 948. It's a nice gun but dated. Awkward in some cases, (safety), hard to dismantle, but well made and reliable. There are more modern guns I like better, including the Berettas.
Old March 31, 2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Sharpsdressed Man

Hard to dismantle? Correct me if I'm wrong, but flip the safety on, pull slide back til locked by safety. Remove magazine, bump barrel to rear with palm of hand and remove straight out the top while tilted up at the rear. Grab slide and ease off while disengaging safety/slide lock. Remove slide and spring assembly. Reverse to reassemble. Not as easy as a Glock, but a lot easier than a Ruger! The old Berettas of this type are sturdy, accurate, well made guns. The triggers are usually so heavy, you COULD carry with the safety off (not recommended, but a Glock will go off with less effort). I have a 1934 in .380, and it is a fun gun, simple, and I will probably never wear it out, no matter how much it is shot.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:03 AM   #8
PSP

Perhaps "hard" was the wrong word, however, removing the barrel on my 948 was difficult and reassembly more so. It is very tightly fitted to the frame. Compared to a modern Beretta, the older models are not as easy or simple.