The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 25, 2013, 07:46 AM   #1
rebs

bore mop's ?

what is a bore mop used for, when in the cleaning process do you use the bore mop ?
Old March 25, 2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Doyle

I like a bore mop for applying a liberal amount of whatever product I'm using. For example, when applying a copper solvent (like KG-12) a bore mop leaves a lot of the product on the bore surface.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:01 AM   #3
AllenJ

Quote:
when in the cleaning process do you use the bore mop?
The first process, applying the cleaning solvent. Like Doyle said, it is a good way to get a liberal amount in the bore without wasting to much.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

The bore mop is sort of falling out of favor these days.

When used to apply protective lube inside the bore, the mop gets dirty and you start carrying dirt and grit into the clean bore.
When used to apply bore solvent, the mop very quickly gets fouled with dirty lead and copper fouling that, again, you're running through the bore, re-fouling it.

These days, most people use clean patches for every pass down the bore whether with lube or solvent.
I suspect the sales of bore mops has fallen off greatly, especially in rifle and pistol calibers.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:42 PM   #5
chris in va

I used one for my Glock 21 when swabbing out the barrel after using lead bullets. Really it just cleaned out the excessive bullet lube.