The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2009, 07:16 PM   #1
TripperRB

Reloading for survival

In thinking about how much and what types of ammo I should keep on hand for a SHTF scenario, I started thinking about how much should be reloaded ammo vs. store bought ammo.

Obviously, it's much cheaper to reload, therefore I can create my stockpile much quicker.

I reload all my training ammo and use store bought ammo for my carry weapons, but how does this change things if I reload for both survival (as opposed to just everyday CCW) and for training at the same time.

HP, ball ammo?

Thoughts?
Old February 20, 2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Lunicy

Do you trust your reload with your life? That's a question you have to ask yourself.

I trust mine.
Old February 20, 2009, 07:46 PM   #3
cgaengineer

I trust my reloads more than store bought ammo. The way I have it figured is the only possible point of failure for one of my rounds would be a bad primer.
Old February 20, 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
TripperRB

Would you reload "survival" ammo vs "training" ammo? That might be HP vs ball ammo, newer brass, different powder charge, etc.....

Or would you just make lots of training ammo and use it for both training and for backup survival ammo. Perhaps store bought could be your main cache?
Old February 20, 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Inspector3711

I use .40 self defense ammo for my pistol for SD (based on legal advice from a state cop) but if the world crumbled I wouldn't hesitate to use my reloads. I'm working up 700 rounds right now and have 500 done. I also keep around 1500 rounds loaded up for my rifles. If the SHTF I'l be fairly ready to defend my family.

Most of this is practice ammo but will make a hole just the same. I do have 300 Hornady HP's as well though. I always remember that before the hollow point, plenty of people were stopped with ordinary lead bullets.

I've shot over 2000 rounds of my reloads during the last 2 years. I have yet to observe my first FTF. I feel my ammo is as dependable as factory and, in the case of my three rifles, more accurate. I do wish I had something along the lines of an AK or AR though as my only semi auto rifle is my 10/22.

That said, with my .22-250 and some FMJ's or my .25-06 with 117 grain Partitions I suppose I could hold off a zombie or two at long range.
Old February 20, 2009, 08:40 PM   #6
HisSoldier

After spending quite a bit of time tonight looking for powder and primers I'm thinking Wow, folks are scared! I may start shooting reduced loads for target shooting so a pound will go farther, but the primer problems aren't helped by that. I placed a $500 + order that is all on backorder!
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:38 PM   #7
.45 COLT

Most of my survival cache is reloads. The only factory loads are 7.62X39s for my SKSs and 5,000+ rounds of .22LR. I trust my reloads completely.

DC
Old February 20, 2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Hammack

I really don't buy any ammo much anymore with the exception of shotgun shells, and I have 10 flats of those on hand at the moment. I have accumulated several boxes of various bullets that aren't my primary loads for each rifle I have. I have loaded, and stockpiled them for use if the SHTF scenario was to take place. They may not be the best, but they will definitely shoot accurately enough to get the job done if the need arises. I also have stocked my reloading supplies pretty heavily. I am in the process of building a 222, and a 6BR so that I can still shoot, and not use as much powder or wear and tear on a barrel. To be completely honest if it gets bad enough that we have to actually start using that ammo then whether it is store bought or reloads will not even be questioned.
Old February 20, 2009, 11:44 PM   #9
Inspector3711

Amen...
Old February 20, 2009, 11:47 PM   #10
A_Gamehog

Old reliable, the 22lr

Has killed more game than all the others put together. I have killed a Bear, Mt. Lion and numerous game in my traps over the years. A 22 short to the ear kills most game. I have thousands of 22 LR CCI Minimags easy to carry and accurate, inexpensive compared to big guns. I have a CZ Bolt rifle in 22lr cal. and a Ruger Mark 3 22lr in stainless pistol. These are all I need to get by. I can carry a lot of ammo without weight being a factor. I 22lr is good to 100 yards with accuracy.

Remember a 22LR got thru President Ronald Reagan's Vest. Don't discount the penetration of these 22lr's. If I only had one gun it would be my Ruger Mark 3. Accurate to 50 yards...

Last edited by A_Gamehog; February 20, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old February 20, 2009, 11:57 PM   #11
Dave R

I would not hesitate to use my reloads for survival purposes.

And I suppose it makes sense to keep a stockpile of primers, powder and projectiles on hand.

If you bug out, though, its improbable that you'd be able to carry your reloading gear with you. Unless its a Lee Loader (?) or similar portable press and balance beam powder measure.
Old February 21, 2009, 12:48 AM   #12
Inspector3711

22LR.... Oh yeah... I do keep about 3,000 rounds on hand.... I have a 10/22 and a S&W 22A pistol with 2 barrels.
Old February 23, 2009, 01:52 PM   #13
James R. Burke

I trust my loads more than anything you can buy. That includes plinking around, hunting, target shooting, and for plain out protection.
Old February 23, 2009, 04:40 PM   #14
45Marlin carbine

care with handloading will produce ammo at least as good as factory and 'premium' sd or hd ammo much cheaper by useing select powder & slugs.
I'm a big fan of .22LR also. every group of 'survivor' types should one. I've seen Marlins and Rugers spew a veritable stream of lead by experienced shooters w/good guns.

Last edited by 45Marlin carbine; February 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: misspell
Old February 26, 2009, 09:52 AM   #15
hercules

I trust my loads, more so than bought ammo. Currently using .40SW / SPGD 165gr/Win 231 in a G23. Never had a misfire, ever, feeding thousands of rounds through this thing.
Old February 26, 2009, 11:09 AM   #16
two 70

handloads for me

I would definitely trust my life to my handloads over factory. Being disabled/retired I have a lot of time to be meticulous with my loads and over a lot of years and many different calibers have never experienced a failure. Standard factory loads are what I use for plinking if I have them.
Old February 26, 2009, 12:22 PM   #17
ilbob

why is this even a question?

in a survival situation you do what you have to do to survive.
Old February 26, 2009, 12:44 PM   #18
grymster2007

With good handloads I don't think the ratio between those and commercial ammo are going to make much difference in your ability to survive a given situation. Quantity might.

Quote:
why is this even a question?

in a survival situation you do what you have to do to survive.
While I would not have asked this question, but the OP apparently did so believing some answers might maximize his chances for survival.
Old February 26, 2009, 02:16 PM   #19
levrluvr

Quote:
With good handloads I don't think the ratio between those and commercial ammo are going to make much difference in your ability to survive a given situation. Quantity might.
+1

You're going to care alot more about how many you have than where they came from. In a survival situation, you're obviously not going to care much about your plinking or reduced loadings for a given caliber. What you are
going to care about are the loads you have established from reloading experience that duplicate or exceed the performance of a factory load that you would trust in that caliber for survival. The components that make up those loads at (usually) a fractional cost of factory-loaded ammo are the components you would want to concentrate on having plenty of, if so inclined.
Old February 26, 2009, 02:32 PM   #20
dlb435

I think in a survival situation ANY ammo would be better than nothing. Don't forget to load up on 22 ammo. The little 22 is an excellent survival gun. Doesn't make much noise; gets the job done.
I'm more concerned about run away taxes on ammo. My tobaco tax was just increased 1000% by the last legislation. What used to cost me $0.09 will now cost me $0.27. How would you like to part with $100.00 for a box of 20 rounds?
Old February 28, 2009, 11:32 AM   #21
James R. Burke

There is no doubt I trust my reloads more than anything. For hunting it's all I use same with the wife. I also load for a few freinds but not many. For them I use there rifle to work the load up right. Just for there rifle or pistol only. For some reason alot of people dont trust reloads. I think those people had someone just give them some junk, so they dont trust them. In a survial sitituation it would no doubt be my reloads, and like alot of the other people are saying a good supply of .22lr ammo. For my 30-06 I have alot of the Barnes Banded Solids (solid brass) loaded up. Kind of alot of money for target shooting and no good for hunting but they will go thru about anything.
Old February 28, 2009, 12:47 PM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

I also feel handloads are more reliable than commercial ammo for the simple reason that you can choose to inspect every part of every individual round if you are loading for reliability. I will distinguish handloading from reloading in that when I want extra high reliability I am using new, never-fired cases for the self-loaders. There is always at least a small degree of extra risk of split case necks and separated caseheads with reloaded cases. The exception is once-fired neck-sized-only rounds for the precision rifles, though I have a special procedure for those, too, in which I fireform the case initially with a light charge of Unique or Universal that is too wimpy to stick the brass to the chamber and stretch a pressure ring back at the casehead.

My first wake-up call on factory loads came when I found two .223 cases in a bulk purchase that had no flashholes. That's the same stuff the factory would have loaded for me. Awhile later, on another forum, a fellow who'd fired tens of thousands of rounds of factory ammo in testing for the government reported that at one time or another he'd seen every kind of failure in factory ammo that a handloader might create. Too hot, too mild, no powder, flipped primers, duds, hangfires, etc. That put the icing on the cake for me, and I no longer consider a factory load to be a true high reliability load. I have to make those. Moreover, I can measure and weigh everything. I can uniform the dimensions of cases and spin bullets and do any manner of double checking the factory can't possibly afford to fiddle with in high volume production.

As for survival, Jeff Cooper once suggested that everyone ought to keep a good supply of .22 Long Rifle ammunition for apocalyptic scenarios because it will become highly desirable and may serve in place of money should a barter and trade society return. Anyone storing tens of thousands of rounds of any common chambering may be sitting on treasure in that circumstance. Having the opportunity to fire that much ammo in a survival situation, though, seems improbable unless you have automatic weapons to feed or are in an area where you can hunt daily to earn a living.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 28, 2009, 02:43 PM   #23
Steviewonder1

Trusted Reloads

Over the last year and more recently, I have worked up a few loads in 40S&W and 45ACP. I have some +P loads that duplicate Factory Loads by the Big guys, you know the $1 and up per round folks, using the same Barnes and Hornaday bullets. No signs of pressure, chrono very close, and using either of the two brands of powder that I have a large stock of. I have not had any FTF in the last 18 years using my two Dillon SDB's. I had plenty using an older single stage press. I also have a good supply of New brass and bullets that the loads were developed for. No FTF's using the same equipment and brands of parts and pieces gives me a high confidence level that my stuff will fire when needed. That said, I also have a very good stock of Factory Social Ammo that I have purchased regularily over the past year.
Old February 28, 2009, 09:41 PM   #24
Inspector3711

It's not just reliability, especially with rifles. I've got a couple of rifles that shoot nice 1" groups. If I handload, one of them begins to shoot 3/4" and the other 1/2" groups. I make more consistent ammo therefore my accuracy becomes more repeatable. This improves the odds that each shot will hit the mark and longer shots become more feasable. This increases my effective range and my odds of survival by giving me a broader choice. In effect, it makes my fishing net a little bigger.
Old March 1, 2009, 08:29 PM   #25
James R. Burke

Just thinking about getting some 22LR what would be a good brand to keep on hand. I know the lead tips seem to get corruded after some years. What would be a good working one, and one that would hold up well for a few years? Thanks if anyone has any input on this. I know it sounds stupid but just wondering. CCI seems like a pretty good choice. Any opions on this?

Last edited by James R. Burke; March 3, 2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Add info