The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Dreaming100Straight

$2 Under Bed Gun Rack

I cobbled together a gun rack to hold my security shotgun under my bed for less than $2.00 and thought I would share with you, since I have seen many fold looking for something to hold a shotgun under the bed. It isn't perfect, but I am happy with it. We do not have to worry about children accessing it.

I bought 2 hooks at Home Depot that are designed to screw into studs or rafters for the purpose of hanging items in a garage; bicycles and such. Those hooks come covered with some type of foam. To prevent them from going through the bed slats and penetrating the material covering the bottom of the mattress, I fastened some scrap wood to the bed slats with wood glue and drywall screws. It isn't perfect and isn't designed to allow recovery of the gun while in bed. (I have to drop to the floor and reach under the bed, which is good for three seconds.) Then again, I don't exactly live in a war zone.

Forgive the mess under the bed.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; July 5, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old July 5, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Doug S

I like it. Thanks for sharing.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old July 5, 2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Doyle

If I did that I'd have to fight off the dust bunnies to get to it.
Old July 5, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Dreaming100Straight

I hear you on the dust bunnies. My wife likes to "store" stuff under the bed. I will have to see that most of that stuff goes where it should, which is in the trash. Anyway, the gun is suspended pretty much up in the air so that nothing should interfere with accessing it should the need arise.

Anyway, its inexpensive and pretty well fills my needs. I don't want to have to stumble 20 feet in the dark to get to the closet and then hope a blanket hasn't been tossed over my security gun.
Old July 6, 2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Boomer58cal

I did the samething inside my closet over the door. Works great.

Boomer
Old July 6, 2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

Yep, boomer. One can do a lot with very little $$$ and placing mine over the inside of my closet door was a consideration. BTW, should anyone be misled by that picture, the one hanger is NOT running through my 870's trigger guard but behind it.