The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 14, 2014, 06:19 PM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have an early .40 that has been totally reliable and has given no problems. BUT, I can't shoot it. Off a rest, holding the gun with a grim determination, I don't do badly. But off hand, that trigger pull defeats me every time. I do have some experience shooting a handgun, but I have not been able to find the secret to accuracy with that trigger.

Jim
Old April 14, 2014, 06:36 PM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

I didn't like the early trigger also. A friend had an early 40 and it was terribly unreliable given the well known mag problems.

On the other hand, we supplied them to our 'friends' in Iraq and Afghanistan. Is that an endorsement?

Haven't shot the new ones - on those.
Old April 14, 2014, 07:59 PM   #28
Leejack

I had a SW9ve, no problems at all. Yes, we all know it has a heavy trigger, but not nearly as bad as people make out on the internet. The gun was 100% reliable and accurate. The ergonomics were splendid.

I now have the SD9ve and absolutely love it. The trigger is long and smooth and like the sigma, great ergos, runs like a Timex.
Old April 14, 2014, 08:11 PM   #29
WVsig

Really unnecessarily heavy trigger and it is butt ugly but the 9mm one I encountered ran without issue. They just did not compare well with the other guns on the market at their original price point which IIRC was about $400 When the dumped them down to sub $300 guns for people on serious budget they became a consideration.
Old April 14, 2014, 09:06 PM   #30
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Really unnecessarily heavy trigger and it is butt ugly but the 9mm one I encountered ran without issue.
I've long wondered if the heavy trigger was considered a necessity given the market for the gun. People wanted a cheap gun that looked and acted like a Glock. Many of those were security guards with minimal training.
Old April 14, 2014, 09:09 PM   #31
WVsig

Quote:
I've long wondered if the heavy trigger was considered a necessity given the market for the gun. People wanted a cheap gun that looked and acted like a Glock. Many of those were security guards with minimal training.
Yeah and law enforcement as well. Think that was part of the intent but even with that in mind it was still toooooo heavy. LOL
Old April 14, 2014, 09:26 PM   #32
SVTCobra306

I've handled and shot my Dad's SD40VE a few times. It would be OK for a $300 pistol, except that there are 350-400 dollar pistols that embarrass it too much, including the Ruger SR series.

If it was a $225-250 handgun, it would be priced about right for its quality in my book, however I am sure they sell well at their current price point, there are an awful lot of new shooters who don't seem to make the leap of imagination that an extra $75.00 buys them a gun that is twice as good.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old April 14, 2014, 09:28 PM   #33
WVsig

Quote:
I've handled and shot my Dad's SD40VE a few times. It would be OK for a $300 pistol, except that there are 350-400 dollar pistols that embarrass it too much, including the Ruger SR series.

If it was a $225-250 handgun, it would be priced about right for its quality in my book, however I am sure they sell well at their current price point, there are an awful lot of new shooters who don't seem to make the leap of imagination that an extra $75.00 buys them a gun that is twice as good.
They sold at one time for $300 with a $50 rebate and extra mags IIRC....
Old April 14, 2014, 09:29 PM   #34
Leejack

Quote:
I chose the SD9VE over the Ruger and the Glock.

That embarrass thing is your opinion.
Old April 15, 2014, 10:06 PM   #35
SVTCobra306

I guess if you prefer them to feel like water pistols with horrifying gritty triggers, to each their own I consider the SR9C to be a great value at $375 to $400, whereas the SD series is a terrible value at $300 to $325. The fit, finish, trigger, and quality of materials, particularly the slide metal, are in different ballparks. The SD40VE slide feels like it's made from melted down hotwheels cars.

Honestly can you say that it's in its correct price range when, for the price of a hundred rounds of ammo you can upgrade to, say, a S&W M&P Shield? Assuming the .40 S&W obviously.. I'm basing that from seeing an LGS selling a pair of Shields for $355 each. I think the SD40VE needs to be priced at a point where potential Hi Point customers would seriously consider saving for an extra couple of weeks to upgrade to it.

My take on it came from looking for an inexpensive option for rental pistols in my classes. I settled on the SR9C's for what I felt to be the best value per dollar per handgun. I did consider the SD series, until I spent a day and a couple hundred rounds with Dad's. I decided that the trigger is horrible enough that I felt I would be setting students up for failure with that long and gritty of a trigger pull. I was honestly pleasantly surprised when I made it through the session without any major malfunctions, but the quality of materials doesn't inspire confidence that they'll last the few thousand rounds I need them to at a minimum without major failure.

I ended up liking the Ruger enough to add a Talo edition one to my collection, it resides in my safe next to a S&W 1911 and one of my Springfield XD-M's. It's one of my least expensive handguns but it comes out of the safe as much if not more than the others.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor