The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 22, 2009, 05:10 PM   #1
OcSpeed

Beretta 84f Review

Berretta 84f
It was finally time for me to get something that wasn’t full size. I was at a local gun shop and ran across a Berretta 84f. These guns are chambered in .380. There were actually two of them, serial numbered consecutively. The guns were in mint condition, one of them had the slide racked several times but neither were ever fired.

As far as accuracy, with either of them I could hit the broad side of a barn. Accuracy was better than that, I always printed on the paper, though not impressively. However, right away I had an issue, one of the guns would shoot once and then the mag safety would engage making the gun essentially useless. I would have to drop the mag and then put it in again… after every shot. I later took off the grips and adjusted the safety. After a few months the problem on the same gun came back. I decided it was better just to remove the bloody thing as the problem kept creeping up from time to time. I did this on both guns and vuala! No more issues, ever.

The Pro’s
• after the initial mag safety issue they were both nearly 100% reliable
• they were small and decently concealable
• the finish and gun overall was tough
The Cons

• didn’t notice that they kicked like mules until I got a Colt Mustang (that shoots like butter)
• Magazine safety (obviously)
• the thickness due to being meant for 13 round magazines
• Precise accuracy (I didn’t buy these to win competitions, so this didn’t bother me)

If you plan on buying something like this I would suggest you test it out. The trigger is a traditional Beretta trigger, first DA shot has a lot of travel and some slight over travel. The SA shots are obviously a lot lighter and breaks more cleanly. As far as the safety, it functions as that and a de-cocker. The safety works by disengaging the hammer (when pushed down)and not allowing the slide to move (when pushed up).

I have only shot range reloads, Winchester white box and Winchester Supreme Hollow points. All in all these were great guns for my purposes. That is, self protection. Personally I would never buy a gun with a magazine safety that I couldn’t easily remove, I believe they can be dangerous (as in the issue mentioned above) and I’m sure the manufacturer charges more for it, and I believe no one needs that. I wouldn’t get these for plinkers; because of the price and availability of the ammo here in lovely CA, and also because my hand hurt after every trip to the range with these guns.
Old December 22, 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
PSP

My Beretta 84f is one of my favorites. Mine is a bit older and well used. It is one of my handguns that has never failed in any way...tried, true and tested. I carried it for 14 years and only just retired it a few years ago. I found I liked the Pachmayr Signature grips as they offered a very firm and tight hold.
Old December 23, 2009, 08:01 AM   #3
hhb

84f

I own a 84f, a single stack 85f, and a Browning BDA .380. All top of the line.
BDA mags and 84f mags interchange.

Tags
.380 , 84f , beretta , cheetah