The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 12, 2005, 12:12 PM   #1
tjhands

Good first bow?

I'd like to get into archery. I'll be shooting distances of about 25 yards and would like a bow that's easy to learn and use but also one that I won't "outgrow" once I have the basics down and get further into the hobby. I'd like to keep the price down to $300 or less. A friend recommended Reflex. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Old October 12, 2005, 12:47 PM   #2
pdt1793db

It depends primarily on the type of bow that you want. These being a longbow, recurve bow, and compound bow. I would look around online at different bows then find an archery shop in your area that is well qualified. (usually not Bass Pro) and they can suggest bows, fit you for what your draw length is, and size you for the arrows to fit the bow.
Old October 12, 2005, 12:48 PM   #3
Trip20

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184090
Old October 12, 2005, 01:05 PM   #4
tjhands

Geez, Trip! Make me feel like an IDIOT! All I did was ask a simple question. Must be a nice view of the world you have up there on your bigass pedestal!

Hehehe, just kidding. Thanks for the links - I will check them out.
Old October 12, 2005, 01:09 PM   #5
tjhands

P.S.

Moderators, put an arrow through the heart of this thread. Feel no guilt......
Old October 12, 2005, 03:24 PM   #6
VirgilCaine

http://dartonarchery.com
The Darton Vapor. Very forgiving, 75% let off, fast and will serve you for years.
Old October 12, 2005, 03:40 PM   #7
shureshot0471

If you wish to go compound I would choose a PSE they are great accurate bows and they shoot fast and quiet and renge from $250 all the way up to $1000 they can acconmadate any hunter thats what I have shot from day one just recentlly going to a Mathews Though wich is in my opionin the best on the market but PSE is a great starter bow they come with all the acc. needed
Old October 12, 2005, 03:44 PM   #8
FrontSight

Just go for the Mathews, you know you will one day anyway, so why waste money getting there?
Old October 12, 2005, 03:49 PM   #9
shureshot0471

True to that scrap but a mathews is hard to shoot as a bigener trust me I know i tried
Old October 12, 2005, 05:50 PM   #10
stevelyn

Unless you're an experienced archer, find an archery pro-shop in your area and try several of them out. A pro-shop can set you up with the equipment that fits you and matches your intended activities. Plus they offer technical services such as tuning and warranty work. It's well worth the extra money spent.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 14, 2005, 08:48 AM   #11
tjhands

stevelyn,

Yup, that's what I plan on doing.

Thanks for all the advice, people.
Old October 14, 2005, 09:20 AM   #12
N.H. Yankee

PSE if its a compound and the Nova is the best bang for the buck, I own a Nova and a PSE pro shop beast and the Nova is a better shooter. The Nova is also very forgiving for a newbie and helps from getting overly discouraged quickly. I would recommend going to a GOOD pro shop and getting measured for your bow as draw length is critical and you need to inform the sales person if you intend to use a mechanical release as this has an effect on your draw length. I do recommend a release especially for thos just getting started and I cannot stress how much diference a good release makes.

I would get one that has the swivel feature you wont torque the string as you pull back. I also recommend having the shop set the bow up for you. I know it will cost more than a walmart Nova but the trouble you will save and the frustration is priceless. If the bow isnt setup right from the start it will never shoot to its or your potential and may not group at all! The pro shop can also help picking the right arrow length and spine for the bow you buy.

Depending upon your upper body strength and letoff of the bow you may not want to go with 70lbs as it can be a real challenge for quite a few archers. Power isnt everything, accuracy is and a bow that one cannot hold steady at full draw is a severe handicap. I use 55 lbs on my bows as I can comfortably hold for quite a while for a deer to come to the right spot. Also having arthritus I have difficulty with anything over 60lbs.

Last edited by N.H. Yankee; October 15, 2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old October 14, 2005, 01:05 PM   #13
FrontSight

Quote:
True to that scrap but a mathews is hard to shoot as a bigener trust me I know i tried
Really? I thought it was pretty easy...High Country, now that's a tough one to shoot consistently...