The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 9, 2014, 12:24 PM   #1
steve4102

Anti-Gun activist breaks Gun Free Zone Law

Dwayne Ferguson a anti-gun activist and a proponent of the Safe Act showed up at school with a gun causing about an hour long "Lockdown".

Ferguson said he often carries a gun, but didn't realize he was still carrying when he entered school property.

His fellow anti-gun activists are claiming it was an honest mistake and he should not be charged with the two felony counts.

I wonder if the "I forgot" defense would work for a "Pro-Gun" activist that did the same thing?

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...chool-20140207
Old February 9, 2014, 01:09 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

He actually helped push through the increased penalties for carrying a gun on school grounds. It used to be a misdemeaner, now it's a felony. He also lied to the cops when asked if he was carrying a gun. He's another one of those people who think guns should be taken away from everyone but them. Since he's so involved in removing "evil guns in schools" I think he should pay the highest price for his actions. Why cut him any slack? He wanted it to be a felony so let's start with him.
Old February 9, 2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

...and his supporters are pleading for leniency because he just forgot he had a gun on his person. On school grounds. Where he doesn't want people to have guns.

However, I predict this is going to go the same way as the David Gregory case. It'll either be no-billed, or he'll receive probation. I wonder if anyone else would receive the same degree of support and leniency.
Old February 9, 2014, 01:40 PM   #4
steve4102

Maybe, but I have a feeling he will not be prosecuted at all, in fact I believe he will be hailed as a hero.

From the article. It's already Started.

Some of Ferguson’s supporters echoed similar criticism, saying that carrying a weapon meant Ferguson could have helped police in the event there was a gunman actually threatening students.

“Dwayne probably was in a position to help the police not knowing that he was the one they were looking for,” said George Johnson, president of Buffalo United Front,

We know this for a fact, that he called out to a Buffalo police lieutenant asking why the school was in lockdown, and that they were looking for a man with a gun.

“Dwayne’s reaction was to get his kids – he had about 50 of them – and make sure they were safe,” Giles explained. “He led them into the cafeteria and closed the doors.”
Old February 9, 2014, 01:44 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Maybe, but I have a feeling he will not be prosecuted at all, in fact I believe he will be hailed as a hero.

From the article. It's already Started.

Some of Ferguson’s supporters echoed similar criticism, saying that carrying a weapon meant Ferguson could have helped police in the event there was a gunman actually threatening students.

“Dwayne probably was in a position to help the police not knowing that he was the one they were looking for,” said George Johnson, president of Buffalo United Front,

We know this for a fact, that he called out to a Buffalo police lieutenant asking why the school was in lockdown, and that they were looking for a man with a gun.

“Dwayne’s reaction was to get his kids – he had about 50 of them – and make sure they were safe,” Giles explained. “He led them into the cafeteria and closed the doors.”
Funny, when the NRA says it could help save lives the anti's say that makes no sense at all. When they say it, it makes perfect sense. Hypocritical? You Bet!
Old February 9, 2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Mike38

Quote:
Dwayne Ferguson a anti-gun activist….

Ferguson said he often carries a gun….
What the……?

I guess I'm missing something here. Anyone care to educate me?
Old February 9, 2014, 02:11 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Gun laws; questions....

This news item makes me ask a few questions...
Did this "community activist" have a valid concealed carry license or did he just have a New York gun permit?
Did staff or other teachers know who this "mentor" was or that he packed a gun for security/protection? If he had valid threats as a anti-gang group leader or was a target of violent thugs then he could explain why he was armed.
Did he have any formal gun safety or tactical training? Other than the basic requirements for a NY permit?

The guy doesn't seem anti-gun per se, but his views & actions do deserve scrutiny.
Old February 9, 2014, 02:24 PM   #8
chesterfield

I can well imagine if there had been someone else with a gun on the property he would be pushing for their immediate incarceration, even in the case of an "honest mistake", never mind that he too had a gun in violation of the law. Afterwards he would probably get a key to the city and a parade. He should be given the same consideration any of us would and then go serve his time and lose his gun rights. He now knows the meaning of "hoisted by his own petard".
Old February 9, 2014, 03:38 PM   #9
Paul B.

All I will say is this, "If he was so anti-gun, why was he packing one?" Guess it's a case of all people are equal. It's just some are more equal than others.
Just to paraphrase George Orwell.
Paul B.
Old February 9, 2014, 03:40 PM   #10
Salmoneye

Quote:
Quote:
Dwayne Ferguson a anti-gun activist….

Ferguson said he often carries a gun….
What the……?

I guess I'm missing something here. Anyone care to educate me?
Do as I say, not as I do...
Old February 9, 2014, 04:55 PM   #11
SHE3PDOG

“The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly. “
-Abraham Lincoln

What a prime example. Hopefully he is punished to the fullest extent of the law just as any of us would be if we "forgot" that we were committing a felony. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, if I remember correctly.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 9, 2014, 05:43 PM   #12
glh17

That's funny. I hope he gets his due.
Old February 9, 2014, 06:18 PM   #13
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Either he was printing or someone he knew stabbed him in the back (according to him). Either way, I hope this story grows legs
Old February 9, 2014, 07:15 PM   #14
Tinner666

Up till this, he's been screaming that the only people that carried into school were intending to kill somebody. I wonder if his followers will see the light?
Old February 9, 2014, 08:59 PM   #15
ClydeFrog

Anti-gun?....

From the details & media information provided, I wouldn't call him "anti-gun". He admits to having a weapon & carrying it often. His support of the NY SAFE Act or some political beliefs doesn't mean he supports or endorses every gun law/bill.

I don't think armed citizens or CCW holders should be allowed to drink(consume) alcoholic beverages in public(places with liquor licenses). Some states & cities passed those laws with little or no problems.
Does that make me "anti-gun"? No. I can live with voters or elected officials making laws. If the new laws or statues prove wrong or unpopular they'll be changed or as in CO, the political leaders will be removed.

CF
Old February 9, 2014, 09:03 PM   #16
steve4102

Quote:
From the details & media information provided, I wouldn't call him "anti-gun". He admits to having a weapon & carrying it often. His support of the NY SAFE Act or some political beliefs doesn't mean he supports or endorses every gun law/bill.
Feinstien has a permit to carry also, would you say the same about Her?
Old February 9, 2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Technosavant

Quote:
His support of the NY SAFE Act or some political beliefs doesn't mean he supports or endorses every gun law/bill.
If someone is going to support that law I'm really not sure what kind of law that person WOULDN'T support. This is the very definition of "for me, but not for thee."

It's a pity he's not likely to feel the full effects of this law he pushed, but that's what it's like nowadays- if you're of the proper political persuasion there's really no law that really concerns you.
Old February 9, 2014, 09:42 PM   #18
alex0535

If he really did push for having a handgun on school property being prosecuted more harshly I think he should bite the bullet and take the penalties he helped create.

Sounds like a hypocrite if there ever was one.
Old February 9, 2014, 11:15 PM   #19
Cnon

You can bet your rent or mortgage payment, a pro-gunner would get their rear kicked for doing such a thing.

Cnon
Old February 9, 2014, 11:20 PM   #20
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Quote:
*wouldn't call him "anti-gun". He admits to having a weapon & carrying it often.
Except when he's in a school and it's the cops asking him if he's carrying a gun. In that case, he denies it.

How can this story get better?
Old February 9, 2014, 11:44 PM   #21
jimbob86

Quote:
*wouldn't call him "anti-gun". He admits to having a weapon & carrying it often.
Seems to me he is all for "Gun Control": so long as he gets to control who has the guns.

"Lex Bovis, non Jovis"?
Old February 9, 2014, 11:48 PM   #22
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

ClydeFrog, do you know him?
Old February 10, 2014, 05:04 AM   #23
ClydeFrog

No, my point(s)....

I don't know the guy myself but I travel/work in the metro NY/NJ/CT area often.
I often see the "no guns" signs & know that some citizens in these communities are more opinionated than others about concealed guns/2A issues.
My good friend took nearly a calendar year to get his formal gun permit from Westchester County New York. He has to register his pistol; a M&P Compact .45acp that he only uses for home protection & target shooting(no CCW). If he buys any new firearms he must add them to his government records, .
I understand the points the TFL members are making but I don't "assume" this guy is fully anti-2A or anti-gun. I think his beliefs are geared more towards ending gun violence & gang activity in the local schools/youth groups.

Years ago, in the metro Pittsburgh PA area, Id heard a media story about a young man who spoke out in school/public groups against a few local street gangs. The gang members got so fed up with the guy they tracked him down & killed him.
Old February 10, 2014, 08:26 AM   #24
Uncle Buck

It will be very interesting to see where this case goes. I am betting it gets quietly pushed aside.

As many others have pointed out around the inter-web, gun free zones just make the work of criminals easier while putting people at risk.

After my uncle had been robbed three times by the same group of guys, he put up a sign that said "Attendant is Armed". Never was robbed again.
Old February 10, 2014, 09:08 AM   #25
steve4102

Quote:
I understand the points the TFL members are making but I don't "assume" this guy is fully anti-2A or anti-gun. I think his beliefs are geared more towards ending gun violence & gang activity in the local schools/youth groups.
That's the same so called beliefs that the gun grabbers have been using for years, "it's for the Children". IMO he is just like Feinstien, an Anti-Gun activist with a carry permit and the belief laws are for the other guy.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; February 10, 2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: no political name-calling, please.