The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 14, 2013, 11:11 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Fair price for Mosin

I know this is very subjective. I am trying to work a deal for a M44 Hungarian made Mosin in very nice condition complete matching number gun. I want this gun in particular because its Hungarian made and I happen to be Hungarian decent. So i am willing to pay a little more because of that reason. At the same time I dont want to get screwed to bad. We are currently at $325.00.
Whats your thoughts?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Don P

Way too much for a Mosin no matter when, where, and time frame it was made. Just my opinion and you may spend your money as you wish
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:38 AM   #3
BoogieMan

@Don I would normaly agree with you. Except I am seeing prices up to $425 right now. I should have bought 1 6 months ago for $100. At those prices you can buy a lot of good rifles. Ruger american con be done for $375, and I know that it will out shoot any Mosin
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Don P

Down here in FLA. LGS still has them for $99-$119.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:14 PM   #5
emcon5

Quote:
LGS still has them for $99-$119.
Not Hungarian M44s.

Soviet M44s were going for $189-$239 wholesale before they sold out.

Looking at completed items on Gunbroker, they have sold for $230, $215, and $370 in the last few months.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=319947525
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=315686578
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=312654509

If that $325 is out the door, I don't think that is too bad. If you find one cheaper on Gunbroker, shipping and FFL fees will eat up a lot of the difference.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:18 PM   #6
tahunua001

Quote:
Down here in FLA. LGS still has them for $99-$119.
donp, I hight doubt that those are the prices for M44 carbines, regardless of nation of manufacture, MAYBE 1 91/30 which is the most common rifle in the world but the M44 was made in much smaller numbers, for a much shorter period of time and unless you get one of the cheap chinese type 53 copycats and have your own C&R there is no way of picking one of these up at today's price for less than $150.

if you know for certain that it's hungarian and you really want it as a link to your family heritage then by all means buy it. I really don't like the idea of paying more than $250 for a mosin of any type but then again they have little sentimental value to me so I'm a little more biased than some. some places have higher C&R pricing than others, I haven't seen a run of the mill 91/30 for less than $200 in 2 months.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:45 PM   #7
BoogieMan

emcom5@ the second link you provided was a Hungarian mosin. Sold at $370. Condition looked about the same as the one I am looking at, at least by the pics.
Do Hungarian mosin typically sell for more? I know they are somewhat more rare but that doesn't mean they are better.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2013, 09:11 PM   #8
BudW

120.00 Top end
Old January 14, 2013, 09:31 PM   #9
stu925

Quote:
@Don I would normaly agree with you. Except I am seeing prices up to $425 right now. I should have bought 1 6 months ago for $100. At those prices you can buy a lot of good rifles. Ruger american con be done for $375, and I know that it will out shoot any Mosin
Apples to oranges really, with a Mosin you're getting a shootable piece of history. With a Ruger American you're getting a rifle, nothing more. If it's especially nice I wouldn't have too much of a problem with $350, the Russian M44s have been selling here for $250+ so I don't think $350 for a rifle you really like and want because of your heritage is a terrible deal. You might be able to find a better deal but really how often are you going to see a Hungarian M44. I've been looking for a reasonably priced M44 for a bit and haven't seen very many good ones that were priced under $275.

Stu
Old January 14, 2013, 09:55 PM   #10
emcon5

Quote:
emcom5@ the second link you provided was a Hungarian mosin. Sold at $370. Condition looked about the same as the one I am looking at, at least by the pics.
All three of those were Hungarian, and the only completed auctions for Hungarian M44s on their system. It is a pretty small sample, but the cheapest one went for over $200.

Quote:
Do Hungarian mosin typically sell for more? I know they are somewhat more rare but that doesn't mean they are better.
Better doesn't necessarily come in to play when talking about collectable firearms, and despite the opinions of some, that is what they are becoming. The less common examples generally bring a little more money than the more common, assuming like condition.

A week ago, I looked around, at availability of 91/30s at some of the major wholesale distributors, Century was out of stock, Classic Arms was out of stock, AIM was out of stock, SOG out of stock, JG Sales had them for $120.

Type 53s are still around for just over $100, a couple places had M44s for ~$180, both wholesale.

Today, nobody has base 91/30s in stock, the few M44s available at AIM are gone. Samco and Rguns have bent bolt 91/30s for a premium over the standard, AIM and Classic have original PU snipers for ~$600, Rguns has PU Snipers for $800, and aside from the Chinese Type 53s, that is it.

The days of $69 91/30s and $99 M44s are gone.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:59 PM   #11
sirdiealot

pretty sure but could be wrong but cabelas has 91/30s in stock for 149. also allans armory has some really nice ones for 150-200 nice guns not the crate and barrel ones everyone else is selling
Old January 14, 2013, 10:01 PM   #12
Mausermolt

ya know bout 4 years ago i threatened to buy a crate of 91/30's just to sit on a few years and make a couple hundred bucks.......i knew it was a good idea! CRAP! heck i could almost double my money right now!
Old January 14, 2013, 10:52 PM   #13
emcon5

Quote:
pretty sure but could be wrong but cabelas has 91/30s in stock for 149
My local one didn't have any the last time I was there. Some stores probably do have them in stock. Some Big-5s probably do as well.

But all of the regular wholesale places are out.

Quote:
allans armory has some really nice ones for 150-200 nice guns not the crate and barrel ones everyone else is selling
Allen's Armory has exactly four rifles.

Simpson has what appears to be a really rough Hungarian M44 for $200
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...621839c19cd0f7

There is also a nice looking one on Gunbroker right now, current bid over $300.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=324863542

Keep in mind, a while back you could go to Big-5 and get a Swede M96 for $99, and a M38 for $129. Now, if you can find them they are 3 times that. Now, there were a lot more Mosins made than Swede Mausers, but supply & demand is as constant as death and taxes. When the supply dries up and demand remains, prices rise.

If that $325 is out the door, I don't think that is a bad deal for an excellent example.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:42 PM   #14
sirdiealot

allans armory sells his down to one or two then seems to add 4 or 5 more. course by the time you pay shipping and transfer fees it comes to prob around 225.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:21 AM   #15
JimmyR

@OP- I think a lot depends on what your intention for the rifle is. If this is going to be a safe queen/ collection piece, then you might be ok on this one. If you want something to shoot with, and you like the m44, I'd look for a Soviet one for $100 less, IMHO.

To everyone who is commenting about $125 "mosins"- there are multiple Mosin-Nagant rifles out there aside from the 91/30 you are thinking of. This is a very different rifle, and the m44 is more expensive, generally by about an extra $100 over a 91/30 on average.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:40 AM   #16
TheDoubleDeuce

Emcon, you mean Allan's Armory has exactly THREE 91/30's. Well, because I just bought one :-) Yep, some people will still pay $165 for a nice Mosin, when they live in the middle of nowhere with no access to shops that stock them.

FYI, total cost is +40 for shipping and hard case to 03 FFL, or +37 to 01 FFL.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:42 AM   #17
sirdiealot

lol ordered mine on thursday and it will be at my ffl on wednesday....hes a great guy to do business with....and im guessing after telling people bout his site he will have to put more up sometime tomorrow or wednesday cause they are some of the better looking mosins ive seen
Old January 15, 2013, 04:45 AM   #18
gandog56

I would look here first.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=325749237
Old January 15, 2013, 04:47 AM   #19
gandog56

Also there are Hungarian Steyr M95's out there for a lot cheaper than that in 8X56R.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:07 AM   #20
sarge83

My local gun/pawn establishment currently has a Polish M44 which looks pristine and they are asking $399 for it. When I inquired from a couple of guys I deal with at the shop how an M44 could go for $400 they said what? Then looked at the price tag and were stunned themselves. One said its a nice clean rifle but its still just an M44. I agreed. Will wait and see if they drop the price to $175 or $200, then I might be interested.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:34 AM   #21
BoogieMan

What links do you guys have for collector type guns? I checked out simpsonltd.com and they have some very nice Hungarian Feg shotguns.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 15, 2013, 10:33 AM   #22
emcon5

Quote:
Also there are Hungarian Steyr M95's out there for a lot cheaper than that in 8X56R.
True, but ammo availability can be a problem, and it won't be as cheap as 7.62X54R

Quote:
What links do you guys have for collector type guns? I checked out simpsonltd.com and they have some very nice Hungarian Feg shotguns.
Aside from the Auction sites, Simpson has the widest selection that I have seen.

Liberty Tree usually has a decent selection:

https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...p?idCategory=2

Unfortunately they suck at removing sold rifles from Inventory, a lot of what is listed you click on the link and it says "SOLD".

RC Arms used to have a good variety of surplus rifles, but it has been less lately: http://www.rcarms.com/21.html

If you don't have a C&R FFL, do yourself a favor and get one. It is $30 for 3 years, you get dealer pricing from several vendors (Brownells, Midway, Graffs) and can have any C&R firearm shipped direct to your door (barring any state/local laws against it, that is).

Is the Hungarian M44 you are looking at local to you? Is that an out-the-door price? I am willing to pay a little more for a rifle I can see in person than photos on the internet, plus no shipping or transfer fees.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:31 PM   #23
BoogieMan

emcon5@ unfortunately the Hungarian Mosin is not local. One of the other posts actually hit upon it with a link. I agree there is a value having the oportunity to hold the gun before purchase. On the up side I am in no hurry and other than being a gun that shoots a cheap round and hungarian I dont have any criteria.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 15, 2013, 06:11 PM   #24
TheDoubleDeuce

By the way, if you decide to buy one from Allan's Armory, he is very fast. I just placed my order last night, FFL faxed this morning, and he shipped it out today for delivery Friday.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:42 AM   #25
Mobuck

I HATE the darned things so unless they're paying YOU to take it, it's too high.