The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 8, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1
duelist1954

Worth driving into town

It was worth driving into town to get the mail today. I received a beautiful Uberti Colt Walker replica from Taylor & Co. to write up for a "Guns of the Old West" black powder column.

It seemed like all Fall the major cowboy gun importers were really low on Uberti guns, but I think a couple of them got, or are expecting, deliveries from Italy in December.

Can't wait to shoot it, but the weather won't be suitable here until Wednesday at the earliest.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Beagle333

Where is that darn "Green with Envy!!!!" button?
Old December 8, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
BerdanSS

I wish just once your mail would get routed to my box mike Looking forward to the write up
Old December 8, 2012, 07:12 PM   #4
David13

It's sure a tough life for some people.
I had to wait til I got home last night to get my package from Cabelas with the 1860 Pietta Army 44.
Today I had to drive over to Culver City to get Goex #3.
Next week I'll have to drive, or ride out to Angeles to get #10 caps, and then shoot at the range out there.
dc
Old December 9, 2012, 10:41 AM   #5
BirchOrr

Write-up

I'm also VERY interested in your write-up on the Uberti Colt/Walker!

I did a test one day with mine shooting from a rest. I was using round balls and 30gr BP. At close range I was shooting 6 inches high. I kept moving the target out 20yds. at a time, loading 6 more, and shooting again. I kept thinking, sooner or later, the ball would start to drop at a specific distance. I got out to 100yds. and still was shooting 6 inches high but also shooting 6 inch groups at that distance! Obviously, the pistol could use a taller front sight but I don't want to change it. Don't want to file the rear sight/hammer either. I KNOW where it shoots and simply compensate for that. Old fashioned Kentucky windage.

I've taken many a deer with it and to me... this is all part of the fun in shooting BP guns! Knowing exactly what it will do and plenty of chance for the game you're hunting to escape. I don't know of anything more exciting than taking a trophy buck with a BP pistol... every bit as exhilarating as taking one with a bow!
Old December 9, 2012, 04:18 PM   #6
mykeal

If it was hitting 6 inches high at every distance, it was dropping.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:22 PM   #7
BirchOrr

Quote:
If it was hitting 6 inches high at every distance, it was dropping.
Huh??? Please explain...
Old December 9, 2012, 09:14 PM   #8
bushmaster65

hey birch, my walker does the exact same thing. 6" high and about 3-4" right.
If I aim COM on a human silhouette, I group at the low left shoulder...
I have seen some ingenious ideas on how to "add" to the front sight with minimal cosmetic distraction. The smith that worked on mine said to add a new front sight would mean a really ugly dove tail cut to accommodate the new sight. but she draws a crowd and I like introducing people to the world of BP.
BTW- My 2nd Gen. dragoon isn't much more accurate than the walker..
Old December 9, 2012, 11:12 PM   #9
BirchOrr

Bush,

Almost all authentic reproductions have this same problem and shoot high. Believe me, I've researched this to the ends of the Earth. I'm still wondering and waiting for clarification from "mykeal's" comment.

Shooting high I understand. Shooting right, I don't. Shooting from a rest or?

I got a used Pietta "58 New Army" a few years ago and was less than impressed. Same problem, shot high. Didn't really care about modifying it as it was used and not a serious "keeper". Had my good friend and gunsmith make a new taller front sight for me. After a couple of attempts, we discovered the flat on the top of hex barrel was tilted slightly to the left. (A common problem with the Pietta's). After this discovery, he made me another front sight only this time, the bottom of it was milled at an angle to compensate for the improper barrel assembly/angle (factory milling) (yet another well known Pietta problem) and it worked! The next issue we had was keeping the front sight on the pistol without dove-tailing it. Long story short, I used "Gorilla" brand epoxy and it's still there.

I might consider "adding" height to the front sight of my Walker and epoxy it to the existing blade rather than doing a serious mod to it. Why not!

Your comment was greatly appreciated!
Old December 10, 2012, 07:49 AM   #10
mykeal

Simple geometry.

If it was 6 inches high at, say, 10 yards, that's an angle of 0.955 degrees up from horizontal.

If it was 6 inches high at 20 yards, that's an angle of 0.477 degrees.

And at 100 yards the angle has dropped to 0.0955 degrees.

The bullet has to be dropping for the angle to decrease, unless your bullets defy gravity and follow a perfectly flat trajectory and your muzzle is exactly six inches above the horizontal line to the target.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:18 AM   #11
fineredmist

Birch Orr,

A 39 gr. load in a WALKER is too light, try 50 gr and you will see the difference. My Uberti will shoot a bit high out to 50 yds where it is on the money. The original WALKERS shot high as they were designed to be used as "one handed" carbines shot from the back of a horse. Aim for the buckle and the man is down.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:19 AM   #12
BirchOrr

mykeal, now I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

fineredmist, good point I'll try it.

Many thanks for the input gentlemen!