The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2006, 10:16 PM   #1
CrustyFN

Reloading bench

I thought it might be fun (and also helpful for us that aren't setup yet) to post pictures of your reloading bench and setup. Sorry if this has been done before but I couldn't find it on a search. I will post mine as soon as I set one up. Thanks
Rusty
Old September 16, 2006, 01:10 AM   #2
cloudcroft

I'm not able to post a pic because I don't have a hosting website, but basically what I did was make a small workbench about approx. 1/4 the scale of a typical large one. Living in an apartment, I didn't want something full-size, taking up lots of space, nor hard to move when I relocate, so a small "movable" reloading bench was what I needed. And since I prefer to sit on the floor to work, its small size allows that, too, as the low work surface is at a comfortable height for doing that.

It has a very sturdy laminated OSB main work surface, one upper shelf, one bottom shelf, VERY heavy (stable) for it's size, and has adjustable smooth "ball" feet that glide on carpeting fairly well, despite its weight, so that when I need to use it I just slide it away from the wall, do my reloading, and when finished, it goes back and gets a dust-cover over it.

Best of all, it was made from wood I found in scrap/trash piles at various local residential construction sites, so all the wood is recyled instead of going to the landfill. But I DID have to buy lots of lag screws/washers, a box of large Phillips screws, six 1/4" dowells, some carriage bolts/washers/nuts, polyurethane, paint, and glue.

-- John D.
Old September 16, 2006, 06:22 AM   #3
VaFisher

Here is a free hosting site for you.
http://www.imageshack.us/
Old September 16, 2006, 09:19 AM   #4
cloudcroft

VaFisher,

Thanks...I will attempt to use it!

Here's the bench after it was just finished but empty, without presses and press mounting plate/board installed:

The bench with a few presses on them (before all the rest of the stuff goes on it). Presses were first attached to mounting plate (board) then the plate attached to bench (usng the same two front holes/lag screws on each side that the top uses to attach to the bench framework to reduce # of holes drilled into benchtop and to allow for future changes without swiss-cheesing the benchtop):

NOTE: Due to the angle I was at taking the pics, the the two Lee presses on the left look larger than they actually are.

-- John D.
Old September 16, 2006, 10:03 AM   #5
OP'S WORLD

I just finished my own gun room all for myself . Here is my setup.
Old September 16, 2006, 03:35 PM   #6
cloudcroft

OP'S WORLD,

Your pic didn't come through...

-- John D.
Old September 16, 2006, 04:38 PM   #7
VaFisher

Nice lookin set up and you are welcome.
Old September 16, 2006, 05:00 PM   #8
OP'S WORLD

bench pics

Old September 16, 2006, 09:15 PM   #9
Bert223

Nice benches guys! I need to do something like that. Mines portable now. Someday I'll have a nice set up.
Old September 16, 2006, 09:54 PM   #10
bfoster

I prefer an "island" style bench-

Old September 19, 2006, 10:43 AM   #11
Bill T

These are my 2 benches. As you can see I'm ready for a third. Bill T.
Old September 20, 2006, 07:04 AM   #12
Toolman

Here's my bench & storage cabinet. I decided on a cantlievered style because the bench legs don't interfere with anything and it's easier to clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loading bench2.jpg (59.3 KB, 149 views)
Old September 20, 2006, 08:55 AM   #13
Wild Bill Bucks

Can't picture my bench, but I will say that one of the things to consider, is to make your bench, so that when you operate your press, you don't vibrate the bench enough to vibrate powder from shells that are charged and waiting to be loaded. I built my load bench, seperate from my press, because I will powder charge 100 shells at a time, and don't want powder to get vibrated as I press bullets in them, or any thing else that might cause a bump to the bench. Mines all 2x6 construction, mounted on yard timber legs. This gives it enough weight, not to move.
Old September 20, 2006, 10:59 AM   #14
Ares45

Old September 20, 2006, 07:12 PM   #15
CrustyFN

Wow, a lot of nice benches and equipment. I am starting to feel like I am going to run out of room real quick. Here is a picture of the space I have with a possibility of cleaning off the other half of the bench.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00868.JPG (151.0 KB, 22284 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00869.JPG (150.0 KB, 22310 views)
Old September 20, 2006, 07:43 PM   #16
ZeroJunk

I hate to show mine compared to some of these.I have just about gotten to lazy to reload.But,I pulled out my Cabelas catalog to order a box or two of good ammo to sight in and go Elk hunting with and I could not believe the price.Hell,two boxes of premium would be $80 shipped!I already have everything to do it for free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010011.JPG (199.9 KB, 183 views)
Old September 20, 2006, 07:59 PM   #17
skeeter1

I don't have any pictures, but when I was reloading shotshells, I got an old kitchen table (for free, but you could probably pick one up at a yard sale for ten bucks or so) and bolt your press to it. '50s vintage, ugly formica top. Down in the basement.

The brass that I reload now I do at the kitchen counter with a Lee hand press.
Old September 20, 2006, 09:39 PM   #18
JJB2

i can't post a pic either but my reloading bench is just an old heavy piece of 2" thick counter top with white formica on it hung from a main basement wall on a couple of heavy brackets i found..... it works great for two presses and powder measure and various sundries i need to make good ammo
Old September 20, 2006, 09:41 PM   #19
JJB2

just an observation...... skeeter must not be married!!!!!!!!

LIFE IS SHORT....................
Old September 20, 2006, 11:09 PM   #20
Kelly J

Nothing fancy but it works for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (18.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (12.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 008.jpg (15.8 KB, 117 views)
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
--Samuel Adams
Old September 21, 2006, 12:25 PM   #21
Kelly J

OP'S WORLD, I like your set up, organized and neat, A place for everything and everything in its place.

Well done!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
--Samuel Adams

Last edited by Kelly J; September 21, 2006 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old September 21, 2006, 02:45 PM   #22
CrustyFN

Great pictures everybody. This is turning our really good, lets keep it going.
Old September 21, 2006, 06:38 PM   #23
OP'S WORLD

bench

Hey thanks Kelly J I am fairly new to reloading. I got the lee anniversary kit 2 years ago and am hooked.I think reloading is a good addiction . It is so crazy that i picked up 45 brass and did not even have one, I then got a glock 21 to go with the brass. I have upgraded to a dillon square deal b and am really cranking out alot of high quality ammo for cheap. If any one has any suggestions on my setup i would be glad to hear them.
Old September 23, 2006, 04:54 AM   #24
skeeter1

JJB2--

Quote:
just an observation...... skeeter must not be married!!!!!!!!
I'm impressed with you perceptiveness. I am indeed single, and the biggest problem I have are the three felines who like to "help" me when I reload. They think those small pistol primers are cat toys! If I turn my back for a minute, they're all over the floor.
Old September 23, 2006, 12:52 PM   #25
SteveinAK

Here is mine. Small, but works well. I just realized you can't really see the powder dispenser/digital scale due to the bench to the right. The scale/dispenser I use the most is a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500.
[IMG][/IMG]

Col. Colt made 'em equal,
more or less...