The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 4, 2001, 03:13 PM   #1
Legionnaire

Turkey Hunting (After the Shot?)

Never had much opportunity to hunt turkey, but am doing so this season. I know what to do with other game when taken. How do you prepare a turkey for freezing? Gut and pluck for sure, but are there tips for making the plucking chore easier? Tips appreciated.
Old October 4, 2001, 04:01 PM   #2
scouter27

Plucking will only be easier if you buy one of those plucking machines, or skin it. I guess that soaking it in warm water first will help. I have never frozen a turkey, I usually cook them with in a few days, so I can't help you with that.
Old October 4, 2001, 05:13 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Toss it in the dryer on high heat for 3.5 hours - plucks it, cooks it & tenderizes it all at once.

Seriously, beats me. Plucking the darned things seems to take forever & ya still never get the smaller feathers off. These last can be torched off with a propane torch - seriously.

I save the wing feathers for arrows, etc.
Old October 5, 2001, 10:25 AM   #4
gfrey

Hi,

My solution, (I only have shot 2 turkeys)

1 dunking in BOILING water a few times, (the point being to get all the feathers hot and wet, not parboil the bird) similar to all Fowl.

(Note: you may wish to do this BEFORE gutting. If you can, then you get the feathers wet, not the body cavity. If you are unable to do in a timely manner, gut the bird first, no big deal)

2 hang bird (Head down) and pluck. Yes it is time consuming. If you have a lopper (Long handled pruning shears) note they work well for neck bones and wing bones. and if you intend to save feathers I would dry pluck those before getting the bird wet.)

3. a torch to get the pin feathers is a great idea. I have used similar ideas on smaller birds. (I don't recall Turkey having pinfeathers...) I suggest use sparingly unless you REALLY like the smell of burnt feathers.

4 Generally I try to soak in water in the fridge for a day or two, change water as needed, however you need two things a pan large enough to hold a turkey, and an understanding spouse to give you room in the fridge.

This does two things, the blood get to soak out, and you get a rest before doing the small stuff.

Freezer wrap I think is what I used to freeze, two layers. No saran wrap.

HTH

Gfey
NOTE: I have had my father put the wild turkey in a smoker with awesome results!
Old October 9, 2001, 11:07 AM   #5
m16a2223

Legionnaire,
Cut off beard and feet, hang him by the neck, and skin him.
Then, cut all the meat off the bones. I find this order makes it easiest. Cut wings off(at "sholder" joint.) then cut legs off at the first joint(next to body). then cut the breast meat off the bone, then the meat off the back(two small pieces). After that you are left with a neat little disposable package, no gutting involved!
If you are determined to pluck it, it is a time consuming affair no matter how you do it.

Good luck! m16