The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 4, 2015, 03:59 PM   #26
kcub

I've tried more than 10 different loads and ZQ1 is the worst by far in my SCAR.

Federal American Eagle 7.62x51mm NATO 168 Grain Open Tip Match, Speer Gold Dot LE 168 GDSP and Hornady 168 BTHP Match have all given 1" groups at 100 yards in my SCAR.

FGMM 1.5"
Old August 4, 2015, 08:09 PM   #27
Metal god

kcub : Be careful what you say you shoot out of your combat rifle . It is not designed to shoot match ammo . Only NATO ammo should be fired in military type weapons . It does not matter how match ammo shoots in you weapon because it's a combat rifle . OK I don't buy that but if what others have said here is true . If it only matters what hunting ammo does in a "hunting" rifle . The same should hold true with other types of firearms and what they were designed for . Right WRONG

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 5, 2015, 12:25 AM   #28
drobs

Metal god, I think Green Italics is the official sarcasm font.

Old August 6, 2015, 09:49 AM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
OK I don't buy that but if what others have said here is true . If it only matters what hunting ammo does in a "hunting" rifle . The same should hold true with other types of firearms and what they were designed for . Right WRONG
It is true, but there is no need to over think it. And discussion of what the rifle is designed for vs what you are going to use it for is walking in that ground, I think. Some rifles are made so that they are generally optimized for certain things. Some are made highly specialized, to be the best they can be at certain things. You can choose to use any of them for any purpose, and strike your target, but some choices make the job harder than it needs to be.

You can haul firewood in your Corvette, but a pickup truck does it more efficiently.

Let me put it another way,
Other than for your own personal information, how your rifle shoots with ammo that is not suitable for the use you intend, is not important.

If your goal to punch paper, to get the best 100yd group you can get, any and everything should be tried until you are satisfied. Starting with a load that has a good reputation for accuracy doesn't hurt, and may be as far as you need to go.

OR your rifle may be the fluke that shoots an incredible group with a load not generally well regarded as accurate. You won't know, until you shoot it.

If shooting deer is the goal, testing accuracy with GI ball ammo is pointless, as it gets you no closer to the goal of an accurate deer load. Match ammo may shoot better groups, and may, or may not be allowed by your game laws, but isn't a good choice for a deer load, even if allowed. A 100gr half jacket "plinker" might be allowed under the game laws, but its not a good deer choice, either.

If your goal is to win a shooting match, your choices of suitable ammo change again.
Old August 15, 2015, 06:51 AM   #30
msuforeman

This is 100 yards using my Sig 716 DMR using Hornady Match Grade 168's.
This is the ammo I broke the barrel in with and really the only ammo I have used besides just a little Winchester 147 NATO rounds to plink steel at 300.
I see no reason to change ammo, the Hornady does well out of it.
Old August 15, 2015, 07:03 AM   #31
SR420

100 yards with Portuguese NATO surplus using an Aimpoint Comp M4 with a 2 MOA dot - NO magnification.

The flyer was caused by a light end cap strike, I installed the wrong DC Vortex flash hider, and it had worked loose.

Old August 15, 2015, 09:20 AM   #32
Tikka_shooter

SR420
A 2 MOA group with a 2 MOA dot is consistent shooting. Can't find a thumbs up icon or you'd get one.

There are three kinds of NATO ammunition. The cross and circle is functional in all 7.62N weapons. The second is the cross and circle and a cloverleaf, shown at the link below. As the link states, +/- 3gr bullet, +/- 50 FPS.
The 7.62N rounds with no markings are pretty much minute of torso.

Shooting gun show battle packs through a match rifle can print a small groups. Buy another battle pack of the same manufacture with a different lot number and the group will be small; however, it's location usually moves on the paper.
Back when 1000 rounds were around $100; I shot a lot of it. When price went through the roof; I stopped.

This comparison is old and a lot of currently available ammo is not listed.
http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-June01.html

However, it does point out the variations.
Old August 15, 2015, 10:34 AM   #33
Metal god

Quote:
I want to check the moa on a BAR 308 at 100yds.

What's the best factory ammo for that?
Quote:
If your goal to punch paper, to get the best 100yd group you can get, any and everything should be tried until you are satisfied. Starting with a load that has a good reputation for accuracy doesn't hurt, and may be as far as you need to go.
Asked and answered . The OP never said he needs the moa accuracy for hunting or 1000yd competition . Just that he wanted to test accuracy.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 15, 2015, 08:50 PM   #34
J270

F.G.M.M 168 all though a match grade bullet, I have seen it knock the hell out of a few big bucks with good damage.

On a calm day his 5 shot group looks like me shot from a .45
Old August 19, 2015, 09:08 AM   #35
Kosh75287

Gosh... The little details I've missed!

Quote:
Metal god, I think Green Italics is the official sarcasm font.
There's an OFFICIAL sarcasm font? WOW...

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old August 20, 2015, 08:14 AM   #36
kcub

I got 1", maybe a little less from XM118 in my SCAR 17.

Also tried the PPU Match 175gr, Hornady 155 Match OTM, and Federal 130 OTM, all disappointing at 1.5-2" @ 100 in my particular SCAR 17 with me at the trigger.