The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 29, 2013, 09:26 PM   #1
ranchito457

Mini 14 putting a dent in cases

I just picked up a new ruger mini 14 tactical rifle cleaned it and took it out and ran 200 rounds through it without a problem.The issue I'm having is-I just unloaded the spent cases for reloading and noticed about half way down the spent cases there is a dent in every one of them.I ran independence 55 grain 5.56 ammo.Any ideas how to correct this.

Thank you
Old April 29, 2013, 09:31 PM   #2
ranchito457

Here is what its looking like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (234.9 KB, 91 views)
Old April 29, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Nine the Ranger

I've noticed similar problem with my Mini as well. The dents weren't that big though.

I wonder what the problem is.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Bamashooter

Try a 1911 style recoil buffer. My mini-14 dents the brass just not as bad as yours seems to be. Maybe after a few hundred rounds downrange it will smooth out. I still use my mini-14 brass. When I resize most of the dent is gone. Ive reloaded hundreds of pieces of brass like that without issue.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:38 PM   #5
the rifleer

That's odd, my mini 14 dents the case, but it is at the very edge where the bullet meets the case.

Does your mini 14 throw the brass like 15 feet like mine does?

Last edited by the rifleer; April 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:56 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

A real simple fix might be to find the place that the brass is hitting (look for the marks on the receiver (or op-rod) left by the brass) and put a stick-on pad of some sort in that spot if it's somewhere a stick-on pad would work.

Maybe a felt pad, or maybe something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Self-adhesive-.../dp/B001JASGH4

If your gun is stainless, and you can find the spot that's doing the denting, you might try rounding that edge/corner to minimize the dent.

An adjustable gas block could probably be tuned to reduce/eliminate the denting if you want to spend the money on the part and the time getting it installed.
Old April 30, 2013, 08:18 PM   #7
tobnpr

Scope on it?

My old Ranch would sling brass to the other end of the firing line.

Try a 1911 buffer in front of the op rod.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 30, 2013, 08:59 PM   #8
ranchito457

Thanks guys for the ideas.This thing shoots the brass at least 15 feet.I'm going to order the buffer and see what happens-at least I can still reload the cases-just found it a little weird how it would dent up the cases like that.
Thanks again-I'll post an update after I change the buffer
If anyone come across one let me know
Old May 1, 2013, 07:20 PM   #9
stu925

If there's a scope on it the brass is probably hitting the scope. What series Mini is it? Look at the first 3 digits of the serial, that's the series.

Stu
Old May 2, 2013, 07:05 AM   #10
Bart B.

Garands and M14/M1A rifles had the same problem. It was caused by a strong ejector spring that pushed fired cases out of the bolt face with much gusto. The case spun around as its mouth cleared the breech and came back with enough force to dent its body against the op rod hump. The brass smear on the op rod showed where it hit it. There's a brass (gold?) colored smear somewhere on that Mini 14 where the cases are bouncing off of some metal part.

Solution was to cut a turn or two off the ejector spring until empty case didn't get pushed out of the bolt face so darned hard. Ideally, when the ejector spring was "just riight," the empties would get pushed forward by the bolt as it started forward and they would land out at 2-o'clock about 2 to 3 feet away.

So, cut a turn off the ejector spring, shoot a few rounds then evaluate. Test again with another turn cut off if needed.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Skans

Install one of Accuracy System's adjustable gas blocks - that should solve the problem without buffers, etc.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:28 AM   #12
deepcreek

That's about how my Mini 14 used to dent brass, some people find out where it is hitting and put a small rubber pad there.
Old May 6, 2013, 02:13 AM   #13
Crazy88Fingers

Quote:
The case spun around as its mouth cleared the breech and came back with enough force to dent its body against the op rod hump. The brass smear on the op rod showed where it hit it. There's a brass (gold?) colored smear somewhere on that Mini 14 where the cases are bouncing off of some metal part.
THAT'S WHAT IT'S FROM?!

I've noticed brass spots on my op rod and couldn't figure out what the heck was causing it.

Mine dents cases too. Though closer to the shoulder and not as deep as yours, Ranchito. These guns are known for their "rough" operating, but that's what makes them so reliable.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:30 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

The extraction system on a Ruger is extremely over powered from factory. I have an adjustable gas system and it runs reliably on the lowest setting and I only need to check the two shooting positions to my right for brass instead of the five to my right.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:41 PM   #15
SVTCobra306

If I ever find a piece of brass from mine I'll let you know.. I think the brass flies farther and more accurately than the bullet on mine LOL.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:06 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

I just read the brass flinging effect referred to as integrated right flank suppression.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:32 PM   #17
ranchito457

Thanks Everybody for the help!
I think I'm just gonna have to come to terms
that its a rough rifle on its brass.But on a better note at least it
cycles perfectly!
Thanks again..
At least I know I'm not alone on this one!