The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Lokpyrite

buckshot or slug?

I'm trying to decide on how to keep my new shotgun loaded. I'm thinking that the first round should be 00 buck, then a slug followed by 3 more shot rounds. The reasoning is that after the first shot the BG may try to take cover and the slug might help with that.

If you think I may need to do otherwise please tell me why as I'm always interested in disenting opinions.
Old November 5, 2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Rampant_Colt

Avoid loading different types of shells in the magazine because you'll never be able to tell what's next when the adrenaline is pumping. That's mall ninja nonsense.

Use one type of shell in the magazine and keep spare slugs in the side saddle to top-off the mag as needed.
Old November 5, 2010, 12:57 AM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
The reasoning is that after the first shot the BG may try to take cover and the slug might help with that.
But, if it's two BGs, then you'll want double shot.

Also, in my jurisdiction, a BG who takes cover may no longer be considered a threat and therefore I can't shoot him until he makes another threatening move. If I do, I may have have a difficult time explaining differential loading practices at my trial without looking bloodthirsty. Don't try to over-think your loading, IMHO, you're best served tactically and legally with a uniform loading.
Old November 5, 2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Lokpyrite

Thanks for the responses.
Old November 5, 2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Ludarue

I don't understand why people over think these situations. My friend also has two different types of rounds in his shotgun. I asked him why and he gave me some bull crap about what the intruder might try to do or what it might do to him or something. IDK I stopped listening after a bit. LOL. Anyways, 00 buck is a good bet for dead as long as you think you can hit them when you need to. Keep it simple.
Old November 5, 2010, 08:38 AM   #6

I have to agree with what's been said already. Most defense situations are so close that buckshot will barely start to open up to a decent size pattern anyway. Let's say you have to dispatch a bad guy at 7 yards/21 feet, is the pattern going to be much bigger than the size of a ripe cantelope????? Ask yourself this question, would I want to get hit with buckshot a point blank range?

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 5, 2010, 09:10 AM   #7
thesheepdog

I have my shotgun loaded with slugs and buckshot. Is it necessary? I don't see the harm if you're profecient with it.
Old November 5, 2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Ludarue

Quote:
I have my shotgun loaded with slugs and buckshot. Is it necessary? I don't see the harm if you're profecient with it.
I don't think that there is really any harm behind it, I just don't see what the purpose would be?
Old November 5, 2010, 09:32 AM   #9
thesheepdog

Quote:
I don't think that there is really any harm behind it, I just don't see what the purpose would be?
As far as purpose, it depends on application. For me-at least a year ago-I lived at a ranch house on some acreage and if a BG came to the property, I would more than likely be making some longer range shots (basically unloading a tube until the BG goes down).
Sometimes buckshot lacks for range and penetration so a backup slug will help insure a penetrating shot (in the event the BG is in a car, or behind a barrier, shooting back at you).

Some will ask: "why have a slug since it will penetrate walls?"

My response is that you don't know what will happen, and if you know your house well, over penetration will not be an issue.
Old November 5, 2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Ludarue

Ah, I see. I was thinking mostly with in home defense since here in Ohio you wouldn't get away with just shooting a BG outside unless they threatened you first.
Old November 5, 2010, 09:50 AM   #11
thesheepdog

Buckshot is fine, and required; you can't have just slugs loaded in your 12 unless you live by yourself and overpenetration isn't an issue.

That's what you need to confirm "Will slugs cause more problems than good?"

Buckshot alone will get the job done, but depending on where you live and what your house is like; a half and half load may be helpful.
Old November 5, 2010, 11:33 AM   #12
Rampant_Colt

Alternating shells in the magazine is folly considering how easy it is to top-off the magazine using a side saddle with your "Plan B" shells. Makes absolutely no sense at all to me..
Old November 5, 2010, 11:40 AM   #13
natman

Trying to forecast scenarios about what conditions will be present for each shot is foolish. Load your HD gun with 00 buck and be done with it.
Old November 5, 2010, 01:18 PM   #14
thesheepdog

Personally, I think buckshot is the way to go. Unless you're shooting BG's with level VIII armor, you don't need slugs.
Old November 5, 2010, 02:20 PM   #15
dakota223

4 shot to self defense buckshot. 00 and slugs will penetrate walls at 3 am in the morning with a missed shot. Can you gaurantee a family member isnt on the other side of that interrior wall?
Old November 5, 2010, 05:46 PM   #16
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota223
4 shot to self defense buckshot. 00 and slugs will penetrate walls at 3 am in the morning with a missed shot. Can you gaurantee a family member isnt on the other side of that interrior wall?
Any load suitable for self-defense will penetrate common building materials.
If you knew that there's a family member in a room behind the bad guy and you're only separated by drywall, would you really risk taking a shot and rely solely on the projectile to not hurt or kill someone in case of a miss?

Common sense..
Old November 5, 2010, 05:54 PM   #17
therealdeal

3inch 15grain 00buck so I can clear a path without reloading from the bedroom, down the stairs, thru the kitchen, and to the driveway to meet the police. just kidding- I wouldn't leave the safezone w/my family unless I had to. I definately prefer the mentioned buck for my mossberg but slugs are pretty cool too. My friend was big on them growing up.

ONLY PART EDITED: I MISTYPED; I MEANT 15PELLET.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)

Last edited by therealdeal; November 7, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old November 5, 2010, 06:46 PM   #18
TMackey

8 rds of 2 3/4 00 buck for me.
Old November 5, 2010, 06:51 PM   #19
Vermonter

hd loads

I like the buckshot slug combo rounds. That way you get some spread and the slug to follow. In my home our bedroom is actually under ground on two sides. There is no concern due to over penetration in the most likely shooting areas. Vermont houses are built weird.
Old November 5, 2010, 08:34 PM   #20
headbangerJD

K.I.S.S.
Old November 5, 2010, 08:36 PM   #21
asavo757

are talking about in the house where your kids are sleepinin in the next room. If so through the slugs back in there boxes and load up the buck 00 will do the job and wont go through 2 layers of sheet rock and have enough energy to kill the kids in next room. slugs -the kids in the next house will have to duck for cover slugs great for game not great for hd
Old November 6, 2010, 12:32 AM   #22
therealdeal

Quote:
I like the buckshot slug combo rounds. That way you get some spread and the slug to follow. In my home our bedroom is actually under ground on two sides. There is no concern due to over penetration in the most likely shooting areas. Vermont houses are built weird.
I used to buy beers on sunday when I was younger in brattleboro, VT and my buddy was from Fairlee, VT(both on border). I remember some houses and mainly a business like this. VT had some questions marks for me back in the day. lol, but I respect their CCW law of having no law.

yeah Asavo, I dont mess with the slugs at home- I saw one go theu four seperate things before hitting a tree one time(another story from back in the day). lets just say my friend shot one in his grandpas home by accident out of the shotgun

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 6, 2010, 06:05 AM   #23
hardhat harry

Winchester PDX1
Old November 7, 2010, 05:18 PM   #24
Deja vu

PDX1 12 looks pretty good but I think its odd to have the slug behind the buck shot.
Old November 7, 2010, 05:32 PM   #25
VUPDblue

I will agree with not "dutch loading" a HD shotgun.