The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 25, 2008, 04:39 PM   #1
VonFireball

Unexpected Hard Rap On My Bedroom Window

What do you do?

I'll tell you what I just did.

A couple hours ago, I'm sitting in my bedroom doing some reading.

Out of nowhere (about 3:00 eastern time) I get three rapid, sharp raps at my bedroom window. Startled me.

Quickly, I looked out the window to see if anyone was running out of my driveway. From where my bedroom window is, the only possible means of exit from the property is over an 8 foot high chain link fence or to run down the driveway (about 50 feet long). I saw no one.

I grabbed my gun, and headed out the back door and around the side of the house. I saw nothing except a bald man talking on a cell phone just across the street. I wanted to say something to him, but decided not to blow my cover and went inside and observed him through the window.

I dunno, what else should I do or have done?

I feel like maybe the dude across the street was casing my place out and banged on the window to see if I was home at that hour of the day.

Please, any comments or suggestions would be very helpful.

It really has been bugging me out all day. I was supposed to go to a family dinner at my parent's place, but now I'm paranoid to leave my house unattended.

What else do I do?

Last edited by JohnKSa; September 26, 2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Language
Old September 25, 2008, 05:32 PM   #2
teeroux

Did you call the police even though it isn't an emergency or no lives in danger they can still question the man for his tresspass.
Old September 25, 2008, 05:50 PM   #3
VonFireball

I can't say for sure that the guy I spotted across the street was responsible, so no, I didn't call the police.
Old September 25, 2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Wyo Big Bore

Maybe it was a bird.
Old September 25, 2008, 07:58 PM   #5
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I grabbed my gun, and headed out the back door and around the side of the house
Why?
Old September 25, 2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Mike Gaines

Couple tips for home safety

Best thing to do is to buy motion sensor flood lights for all corners of your house and make them hard to spot. Another thing is to get a large dog that's capable of taking down a person i.e. german sheperd or bullmastiff. I have one of each and are very friendly to friends and family but NOT to strangers! NEVER LEAVE YOUR HOUSE TO CHECK OUT A STRANGE NOISE WITH A WEAPON!!! You will have a hell of a time trying to explain legally to the courts that you were in "immediate danger" outside in the open so having a gun means you just brandished a deadly weapon which is a felony in all 50 states. I'd say an alarm system, dog, and flood lights should solve your anxiety.
Old September 25, 2008, 08:21 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Motion sensor floodlights do very little at 3 in the afternoon...
Mine won't even come on at that time of day.
I would have gone out armed as well since the bad guy could be ducked and tucked under the window and I would like to engage with the element of surprise and superior firepower.
Brent
Old September 25, 2008, 08:26 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Also In my state of Florida I can traverse my property armed openly. I also can ask the person what his business on my place is... If he runs I can't shoot him but if he postures in any fashion I feel is a threatening manner he is to be considered a threat to my safety. it does not take a drawn gun or knife to be a threat to my safety here...
Brent
Old September 25, 2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Bogie

I'll also guess bird.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old September 25, 2008, 08:36 PM   #10
VonFireball

It was no bird.

Because of the vicinity of the high chain linked fence next to my driveway, birds cannot really even fly in close to bang a window that hard. My father used to have huge picture windows in his house, so I know the difference between "bird" and "BG hammering on window".

My weapon was holstered, not wielded or brandished, but I did scoot out that back door fast and fairly prepared, or at least, I thought. I wanted to see if it was just a kid or if someone was perhaps casing my joint.

I doubted that it was a kid on account of the fact that the only kids on my block have strict parents that don't let them leave the property. Also, the intensity of the rap on the window was to the point where any harder and the glass would've given way.
Old September 25, 2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Mike Gaines
There is nothing illegal about carrying a weapon on your own property in Memphis. Brandishing and carrying are two different things.
Old September 25, 2008, 09:44 PM   #12
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
My weapon was holstered, not wielded or brandished, but I did scoot out that back door fast and fairly prepared, or at least, I thought. I wanted to see if it was just a kid or if someone was perhaps casing my joint.
I think, but do not know, that the operative question is, "what was it that you intended to do upon that determination?". Had things gone downhill, and things had escalated to violence, how did it get there? Would the authorities have concluded that you had been "looking for trouble?"

Please don't take me wrong here. I'm not questioning your judgment or intentions. But the facts are, carry permits do not grant police powers, civilians may seldom detain others legally, production of a weapon is usually permissible only when it is evident that the threat of imminent bodily harm is present, and self defense can only be argued by an innocent person. Do not take any of that as legal advice, but you might consider whether it is wise to go outside with a gun rather than remaining vigilant inside and calling for police if something more sinister should arise.

Based on what I think I know now, I would do the latter.

You might want to ask an attorney.

Good luck, and if you learn more. please share.
Old September 25, 2008, 10:19 PM   #13
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Well ..... a very similar thing happened to the young man who lives across the road from us. Someone walked right past his always annoying floodlights, ignored the fact that he had a large dog, and tapped loudly on his dining room window at 1:30 in the morning. He got up from his easy chair and walked to the window to see what was up. That's when he took five 40 caliber JHP bullets in his gut!

My wife sat straight up in bed and said; 'THAT was gunfire!' I replied; 'Yeah, and that wasn't no jacklight hunter either!' (We get them coming through the farm every now and then.) We buttoned the place up and stayed away from the windows until the entire road filled with emergency vehicles and lit up like the circus had just come to town!

No matter where you live today, you've got to be more careful. At our house we never answer the door. We answer the window instead. Don't hesitate to call the police about the slightest little thing. That's what they're there for! In your case, at least, they would have ID'd the guy for you; and, he wouldn't have remained an unknown!

I don't worry about going outside with a gun because I'm licensed and ALWAYS carry anyway. Still, if someone were to knock on my window, I'd simply pick up one of my pistols and wait for him to come on inside. I'm a great believer in not showing myself and not revealing my presence until I absolutely have to.

Just yesterday I had two people come to the door and knock. I didn't know them; they weren't expected; and, I didn't answer the door. As they walked back down the driveway I saw the young male turn around and look directly at the window I was watching him from. He saw me, stopped, but did not return to the door. (The young woman with him had on one of the tightest pairs of dungarees I've ever seen on another human being - Must have been very uncomfortable!)

Worse than facing the unknown, in all of these situations it's your own curiosity that you have to guard against most. I try very hard to never be, 'Ranger Rabbit' and always bring the other party into where I want them to be rather than the other way around.

This neighborhood has its drug dealers and users; that's almost a given in today's world; on the other hand, my wife and I always have a pistol and a cell phone ready wherever we are; and, then, there's the dogs; nobody wants to mess with the dogs - including the two who showed up yesterday afternoon! Even when you're not home, dogs are still good for discouraging, 'window knockers'.)
Old September 25, 2008, 10:34 PM   #14
luvsasmith

Holstered?

Well I'm glad to see that the person who wrapped on your window was not standing behind a wall waiting for you to turn that corner with his weapon at chest height.

At any rate, I'd stay in the house, not turning on any lights, except those outside switched from areas away from windows while holding my weapon in hand, slicing the pie to get to my destination(s). After seeing I don't know the person or not seeing a person, I'd call the Police. As a Police Academy Cadet and Reserve Officer, I know they'd want to check your house and the area around you, given they are in Police work for the right reasons. Let them blow the cover, let them do their job.

Seriously glad to hear you and yours are safe and sound.
Old September 25, 2008, 11:54 PM   #15
Seeker

Oh! Oh! Oh! Mr Kotter! MR Kotter!

"Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
`Surely,' said I, `surely that is something at my window lattice;
Let me see then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore -
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; -
'Tis the wind and nothing more!'"
-Poe

did the dog bark?

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old September 26, 2008, 02:04 AM   #16
SiNNiK

I lived in a house with two quarter-circle windows and twice had a bird fly right smack into it. Knocked it out, on my lawn.

Thing of it was, each time the bird only hit the window once, then fell (bounced?) to the ground.

They did not stike the window three times.
Old September 26, 2008, 07:09 AM   #17
VonFireball

Quote:
I think, but do not know, that the operative question is, "what was it that you intended to do upon that determination?". Had things gone downhill, and things had escalated to violence, how did it get there? Would the authorities have concluded that you had been "looking for trouble?"

Weapon was concealed. Florida is castle doctrine. No CCW needed for my own property. That means I can carry it out there in my hand if I feel the need.

I only went to check to see if someone was in my driveway. It's not like I went out gun in hand with the hammer back and ready to rip.

Quote:
Well I'm glad to see that the person who wrapped on your window was not standing behind a wall waiting for you to turn that corner with his weapon at chest height.

True, but I have a wooden fence I have to go through out back. Has sort of a deadbolt. I had already checked the windows and saw nothing. I looked through the fence and also saw nothing so I figured they were either gone, ducking below windows further up the driveway, or hiding around the back of the garage.

You got a good point, but it was 3 in the afternoon and I didn't think the threat level was the same as it would be at 3 in the morning.

Point noted though, next time I'm going out there with a shotgun, especially if it's after 3 am.

It's funny, seems all of the responses didn't read my thread cause they all tell me to turn on floodlights (don't have em) when it was broad daylight, which is why I went barrelling out there to begin with.

Sometimes, in these types of situations, it seems there is never an absolutely correct way of handling it.
Old September 26, 2008, 07:21 AM   #18
Wuchak

My first thought is a woodpecker or other bird. There are a lot of species that will sit and peck at their reflections in windows or car mirrors. They see their reflection as another bird in their territory.
Old September 26, 2008, 09:27 AM   #19
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Weapon was concealed. Florida is castle doctrine. No CCW needed for my own property.
If you know that, good. Castle doctrine has to do with use of deadly force and in FL applies to the home,car, place of business, and says you can also use force rather than retreat in any place in which you have right to be.

Right to carry concealed, on the other hand, is covered by FL Statute 790.01, which says you need a permit to carry concealed, one of several exceptions being "at the home or place of business."

If it has been established that "at the home" includes the yard, great. That's not the case where I live.

We have castle doctrine here also, and the intent is about the same except that the user of deadly force must be occupying a dwelling, tent, or automobile. For CC, I see no specific exceptions to requiring the permit (called carry endorsement here) other than in the car.

My required CCW course lasted 8 hours, and a good deal of that covered law and interpretation. A friend of mine just took the FL course and he said it was very good.

One thing he learned was that in FL, if the shape of gun shows through your clothing you are not in compliance with the law. That's less of an issue here. What do you know about that?

The reason for my interest is that FL honors our state's permit, but one must obey all FL laws when in Florida. Have to understand them to do that.
Old September 26, 2008, 09:43 AM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes in florida "at the home" is defined as inside the property lines but not the public easement portion of sidewalk. The closest I come to concealed on my place is carrying in the front pocket but if I am investigating My gun is ready to go with my thumb resting on the safety. I routinely answer knocks on the door after dark (if I cannot identify the person) or anything that get my house dogs into condition red with a loaded shotgun...
Brent
Old September 26, 2008, 09:45 AM   #21
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Sometimes, in these types of situations, it seems there is never an absolutely correct way of handling it.
See? You didn't need us. You knew the correct answer all along.

You used your best judgment and dealt with the facts as they became apparent. That's the right answer.
Old September 26, 2008, 09:47 AM   #22
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Yes in florida "at the home" is defined as inside the property lines but not the public easement portion of sidewalk.
Thanks, Brent!
Old September 26, 2008, 10:04 AM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You can mow your lawn with an AR on your back and a pistol on your side if you choose and there is nothing that can be done to you... Even if a terrified neighbor complains...
I don't mow with a concealed weapon due to rust issues and sweating...
Brent
Old September 26, 2008, 11:08 AM   #24
VonFireball

Quote:
Yes in florida "at the home" is defined as inside the property lines but not the public easement portion of sidewalk. The closest I come to concealed on my place is carrying in the front pocket but if I am investigating My gun is ready to go with my thumb resting on the safety. I routinely answer knocks on the door after dark (if I cannot identify the person) or anything that get my house dogs into condition red with a loaded shotgun...

Yeah, I can openly or concealed carry anywhere on my property. That includes the front lawn. I have businesses near my house, like just over the chain link fence so usually I just conceal it so as not to startle the flower shop employees and customers.

Quote:
One thing he learned was that in FL, if the shape of gun shows through your clothing you are not in compliance with the law. That's less of an issue here. What do you know about that?

I can carry whatever I like however I like on my own property. That's law. Once I hit the sidewalk, I would be in violation, so technically, I can't CCW the 3 feet to the mailbox...lol

Quote:
See? You didn't need us. You knew the correct answer all along.

Well, it never hurts to get a second opinion. Plus, I thought it would be a good thing to mention to the other guys, seeing as how it gives them another home defense scenario to run through. Seems like you can't have your bases covered enough.

If one other guy reads the thread and they are more prepared for a similar scenario and it winds up happening to them, then I feel I've done us all a service.

Quote:
You used your best judgment and dealt with the facts as they became apparent. That's the right answer.
That's mighty nice of you to say. I don't know if that is precisely correct...lol...but it sure sounded good. I'll take it. Thanks.
Old September 26, 2008, 12:16 PM   #25
David Armstrong

Quote:
NEVER LEAVE YOUR HOUSE TO CHECK OUT A STRANGE NOISE WITH A WEAPON!!!
I'll agree with Mike here. Why in the world would you leave a position of superiority and control to go out and wander into an unknown situation when there is no need? Being in the house, in a defensive posture, you have all the advantages. Leaving the house you lose that to a great extent. Call the police and let them check things out.

Night Watch summed it up well:
"....always bring the other party into where I want them to be rather than the other way around."
Closed Thread