The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 16, 2004, 08:20 PM   #1
Ruger # 1

Ruger M77 International ???

I'm thinking of getting a M77 International, the one with the Mannlicher style stock. Probably in .30-06. However, I'm a little concerned that the full length stock will affect accuracy. I'm also not sure if I'll notice the velocity loss from the 18" barrel as opposed to the standard 22" barrel. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle, good or bad?
Old December 16, 2004, 09:00 PM   #2
Mannlicher

I have a Ruger International in .250/Savage, and find it very accurate. I have a number of Mannlicher-Schoenauer full length stocked carbines, and they all shoot well also.
If you want a Mannlicher stocked rifle, look also at the Remington Custom Shop Model Seven MS. I am looking now for one in .257 Roberts.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 16, 2004, 10:04 PM   #3
Lawyer Daggit

Ruger 77 international

I used to own one in .308. Kick / blast was wicked and more noticeable than my .350RM Remington Mod 7 MS which gives more of a long slow shove than a sharp jab.

Interestingly the model 7 and 77 international use the same forend cap. I found I could never get my 77 to shoot well- a common problem with full wood stocks.

The owner who bought my 77 found some months after he bought it that the stock started to crack near the safety (it was a Mark 1) as a result of heavy recoil.

Having said that, they are a beautiful rifle, and if you are a sucker for full wood stocks like me you will overlook the potential for indifferent accuracy.
Old December 19, 2004, 10:17 AM   #4
Unkel Gilbey

About the only thing I have to offer is my opinion, as I don't have a M77I (yet!).

I've admired those long stocked rifles for the longest time. Probably since the first time I ever hefted a MS with a spoon handle back in 1978. The rifle had this worn look that spoke not of abuse, but use. As I recall, it had a wonderful balance, and it just flew to my young shoulder. Chambered in something I wasn't familar with at the time (6.5 MS). It's price tag was too hefty for a young teenager, so she ended up being sold to a flatlander...

Anyway, I like the idea of the Mannlicher style stock. I realize that having that much wood along the whole length of the barrel introduces all sorts of accuracy robbing potential to the package, but I am willing to ignore that for esthetic reasons. Also, because of the distinctive 'European' look of that type of rifle, I believe that they should chambered for a suitably distinctive round. My first vote goes for a 7x57 Mauser. The 250 Savage is an excellent round (deer just love it!) and the 6.5 Swede would be another. If I were to get a bit crazy, then maybe one of the 9.3 caliber rounds after that.

Anyway, I have the feeling that today's emphasis on tack driving accuracy with any firearm that's produced doesn't hold with the mentality that produced rifles such as the MS. I think those rifles were accurate 'enough' for their purposes, and the stocks purpose (after all) was to protect the barrel.

So, my vote goes for a M77I in 7x57. I'd glass bed the action, check the barrel channel for any places where the barrel contacted the stock and correct them (if needed) and then I'd be happy as a clam.

Unkel Gilbey