The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2016, 11:43 PM   #1
vstar950

BISMUTH shot through a rifled barrel

I am only interested in replies from experienced people.
Has anybody tried this and had success not damaging your rifled barrel.
I am using my governor where i live and this is all i need besides a pellet gun to take the birds around here. I am interested in reloading my 410 and somebody said bismuth might be a good alternative to lead since i am eating these critters. NOW LETS SEE WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE TO SAY!
Old July 16, 2016, 01:08 AM   #2
snuffy

You're asking for 1-100th of one percent of everybody to tell you an answer to your question.

But I will guess, because I have loaded quite a bit of bismuth in shotgun shells, so I know a little about it.

1. Bismuth is extremely expensive. A 7 pound bottle cost $85.00 20 years ago when I bought my last bottle.

2. Bismuth is very brittle, it shatters easily. Therefore it HAS to be buffered and not fired very fast.

3. Bismuth in NOT very hard, so you're not going to harm your barrel.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 16, 2016, 03:49 AM   #3
Jimro

I have nothing to add about shooting bismuth through a rifled barrel, I'm not part of the community that does that. I am however part of the community that worries about heavy metal toxicity and have experience with that aspect.

Elemental lead is not very bioactive, and if you are taking birds at pellet gun and shotgun level velocities I would not worry about heavy metal contamination at all.

The biggest danger in terms of lead exposure is during bullet casting, as fumes can carry lead into your system, as the shot or bullets (or boolits) don't have time to contaminate game tissues over time. Obviously not a good idea to eat lead slivers (if you find any, mainly an issue with higher speed rifle bullets) but I don't see any benefit to switching over to bismuth, which admittedly is less toxic when in oxide or salt form than lead. But since you aren't shooting metal oxides or salts out of your firearm, I'd say that the actual risk reduction is meaningless.

In terms of lead exposure during shooting, the lead compounds in primer residue are much more likely to be a source of lead in your body (lead styphnate, lead hypophosphite).

Jimro
Old July 16, 2016, 09:02 AM   #4
g.willikers

I've been shooting lead bullets and pellets most of my life, and no doubt inhaling primer residue.
The only time lead tested high was due to car exhaust before lead free gas.
And it came back down to normal afterwards.
So, don't sweat it.

Last edited by g.willikers; July 16, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old July 16, 2016, 01:35 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Through a rifled barrel it won't matter if it's bismuth or solid gold, the shot string will fly in a spiral, sending the shot all over and leaving big holes in the pattern.
"...since I am eating these critters..." That won't matter either. Moreso if "the birds around here" are migratory creatures like ducks. It's illegal to hunt migratory birds with lead shot. Assumes you're in North America too.
Think in terms of "This too shall pass." Or "What goes in will come out in the end." It takes a great deal of exposure to lead for it to do anything to you. Swallowing a pellet or two isn't enough.
Like Jimro says, worst exposure is when casting bullets in a poorly ventilated space.