The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 24, 2009, 04:14 AM   #1
bigthrills

30.06 scope

But the savage 111 from dicks and the scope crapped out after a couple of boxes so now I need a new scope. No need for those drop compensating 1s as I cant find an area where i would need 1. I dont want the best of the best or the most expensive just 1 that can take the pressure of me hiking to my stand climbing up my stand and holding zero 010.
Old March 24, 2009, 04:44 AM   #2
HiBC

This won't quite answer your question,maybe.

But old school,1970's,the natural answer was a steel Weaver K-4 made in Texas. You might burn 90 rounds chasing the group around the target,but once it was there,seems like I remember mine kept me happy.

I wonder how Sightron holds up.I have looked at a few.

My idea of a cheap scope is a used Leupold.I have bought 4 that way,no disappointments.
Old March 24, 2009, 06:09 AM   #3
publius

Buy a 3x9 Leupold and you'll be happy with it for life.
Old March 24, 2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Doyle

Leupold VX1, Bushnell 3200, Burris Fullfield II, Simmons Aetec. Any of those will do nicely for you without breaking the budget. For a little more money, Bushnell 4200, Leupold VXII, or Nikon Monarch.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:01 AM   #5
skydiver3346

Getting a new scope:

It has been my experience over that past 40 years of deer hunting that "good glass" is the most important part of your rifle set up. I have seen folks spend a ton of $$ on a very nice rifle and then top it off with a poor quality scope? The scope needs to perform in very low light, recoil, bad weather and normal hunting trip abuse that occurs (plus keep it's zero no matter what). If at all possible, please do yourself a favor and either save up, sell something else and/or trade something (in order to get you a top quality rifle scope for your .30-06). I promise you that you will be more than happy in the long run and proud you made the investment in your hunting outfit. You won't be sorry for ever buying good quality glass.
Examples:
1. Leupold Vari-X III
2. Zeiss (Conquest) or Diavari model if you can swing it.
3. Bushnell Elite 4200 (just bought one of these) It changed my mind on the quality of Bushnell scopes nowadays) Very good scope for the money.
4. Swarovski (most any model) You can sometimes get a "used" one on Ebay or Gunbroker for a pretty good price and save big bucks. Even then it is still "pricey" as compared to other scopes, but well worth the investment in the long run.
p.s. The Savage 111 is a very accurate rifle (as are most of the Savage hunting rifles nowadays). Why not bring out the best in it with a quality scope.
Best of luck to you.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:16 AM   #6
taylorce1

These are the power ranges I'd look at. 2-7, 2.5-8, and 3-9 as these powers will be good for most hunting conditions in most terrain. I find these the most usable hunting power ranges out there. Spend about $200 and up and you should have a very reliable scope that will serve you well for many years.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:03 AM   #7
pilothunter

Both Skydiver3346 and taylorce1 said it about as good as can be said. If you look at some of the scopes mentioned, from about $200., I doubt your choice will be a bad one. My personal favorite at that price is the Burris FFII
2-7x35. Yours may be a different one....
Old March 24, 2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Bushnell Banner or Mueller. Both are excellent, especially for the price, and will have no trouble with the recoil. I personally have no use for the name on the side of a scope, I won't pay money for it. I've have used several scopes from Leupold and I see no reason to pay 3X the price for them.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Shorthair

For the money, I can't think of a better scope for a long action Savage than a Bushnell 3200 3x9x40. I have had one on my Savage 7 mag for ..... 10 years maybe? Rugged, decent glass for the money.
If I was in your boat I'd upgrade the mounts/rings too....
I don't know if I can post this here, so apologies up front if I can't:
I've had great service and pricing from www.swfa.com
Old March 24, 2009, 10:52 AM   #10
ZeroJunk

I bought a 3X9 Burris Fullfield II a few weeks ago from Midway on sale. I like it better than the Nikon Pro Staff that's about the same price. It may fly apart tomorrow, but has held up on a 7 Mag for 30 or 40 rounds.

But, if I am going on an expensive hunting trip in the middle of nowhere I still take a Swarovski or a Vari X III. Waste of money? Who knows.
Old March 24, 2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've been using Weavers and Leupolds for over 40 years, now. (Well, actually, my first-ever scope on an '06 was a Weaver K2.5, back in 1952-ish. Then I was out of the huntin' bidness for a dozen years.) For deer hunting at normal distances, I keep yapping that "need" quits at 4X. But, yeah, my '06 spent years with a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9x40. Over 3,000 rounds' worth. For no particular reason in 1997 I put a Simmons 44Mag 3x10 on it, and it worked for several hundred rounds. Justin (THR) used it on an elk, in 2007.

FWIW, I know from experience that 3X does just fine on a buck at 350 yards. That's where the 3x9 was set when I sez, "Oh! A buck!" and "Bang!" Hit where I planned to, DRT.

The years do keep on going by, don't they?
Old March 24, 2009, 05:01 PM   #12
bigthrills

Leupold Rifleman With the Wide duplex reticle 3x9-40
Old March 25, 2009, 04:13 AM   #13
simonkenton

Sightron S-2 3-9.
Made in Japan, lifetime warranty.
I have had one for 4 years on my Savage muzzleloader. Very clear glass, very accurate adjustments.
I am cranking out more foot pounds than a 30-06, so it will definitely hold up for you.
Old March 31, 2009, 03:28 AM   #14
spikespeigel

Get on Cabelas and buy a Pineridge. 3x9 for $100. No complaints whatsoever... especially about the price
Old April 1, 2009, 06:58 AM   #15
Jack O'Conner

This Simmons AETEC variable: 2.8X - 10X. I have owned this scope for about 8 years and hunted in some of the worst weather known to North America. Yet it holds its zero season after season. I've observed new ones on eBay for $150.

Jack
Old April 1, 2009, 07:05 AM   #16
jmr40

Most of the above choices are good. I like Leupold or Zeiss the best, but I feel the best scope for under or around $200 is the Nikon. I do not know your budget so it is hard to say what would be best in your case. Be careful that you get a scope that is long enough. The long action Savages are much longer than anything else and it makes mounting the smaller 2-7 scopes difficult.
Old April 1, 2009, 08:09 AM   #17
Shorthair

Quote:
The long action Savages are much longer than anything else and it makes mounting the smaller 2-7 scopes difficult.
The reason I like the Bushnell Elite series for the Savage is the long main tube, you can use twin base rather than single base mounts, which gives you more open access to the action, if that's important to you.
Old April 4, 2009, 03:41 PM   #18
James R. Burke

Leupold 3X9
Old April 4, 2009, 08:29 PM   #19
Miller77

Id say that the bushnell banner or the nikon prostaff are the best scopes for the price especially because they both come with the same limited warranty as the more expensive scopes. I personally feel that the leupold VX-I overpriced. But i think that the VX-II or III are great and if your willing to spend some more money for a better scope id go with those.
Old April 4, 2009, 09:23 PM   #20
Fat White Boy

I have a Leupold on my .308 and a Nikon Buckmaster on my .270. Both are excellent. I have never had to re- zero either...