The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1
k_trout

Bulging .44 mag brass

I just started reloading last year for .44 mag and have a safety question...
When I was preping some empty cases for loading I noticed some slight 'bulges' at the bottom of the case just above the rim. I've fired these cases about 3 or 4 times and this is the first time I've noticed this. I'm loading 23.0 grains of H110 with 240 gr FMJs, which is the starting load.

Is this telling me the pressure is high enough to be dangerous?
Old October 18, 2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm... 23gr may be your starting load, but be aware that 24gr of H110 is the recommended Max load for a 240gr JHP (according to Hodgdon).

At any rate, "bulging" at the rim, generally indicates incipient case head seperation, if I'm not mistaken. I would chuck any and all brass that showed such signs. It's not necessarily a sign of over-pressure. It could be weak brass. Is it all one manufacture?
Old October 19, 2006, 01:47 AM   #3
VaFisher

Diddo on what Ant said.
Old October 19, 2006, 07:50 AM   #4
cdoc42

Could it be just a line in the brass made during resizing, and not a bulge? I've been reloading .44 mag for 30 years and have never seen a bulge nor a head separation. I would think a significant bulge would prevent chambering. Did you measure the cases with a micrometer to see if the area is really larger than a new case?
Old October 19, 2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Derf00

I have reloaded .44 mag about as long as cdoc42 and agree with him. I shoot 23.2g H110 w/240g SJHP and have never experienced any problems; however, out of curiosity I I checked some of my fired brass and found that there was a .001 - .003" variation in some brass.

Is this a problem?
Old October 19, 2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Rimrod

Exactly what kind of bulge are you talking about?

It is common to see a bulge just ahead of the web, especially in revlovers with oversized chambers. Even after resizing the sizing die may not constrict the case back to original size that far down and you end up with a bulge. This is not a problem.

Incipient head separation usually shows as a bright ring just ahead of the cases web. This is a problem.
Old October 19, 2006, 06:44 PM   #7
lonniemike

It's probably not a problem and sizing related. Incipient separation is easily felt with the bent wire technique and can, if held properly in good light, the ring or cracking around inside the case can be seen, even in bottle neck cases.
I didn't believe it or remember it, but 23 grains is Hodgdon's start recommendation. I guess that is why I started out around 20 grains like Sierra's recommendation. But, it looks like about 23 grains of H-110 is real popular. best-o-luck
Old October 19, 2006, 07:19 PM   #8
k_trout

I'm using Winchester brass I bought new in the bag. The bulges are 1/4 of the case length up from the rim and are easily straightened out with the resizer. What does 'web' mean?
I'm firing these from a Marlin 1894 if that makes any difference with chamber size compared to revolvers (I wouldn't think so). It might just a problem with the batch of brass since I've only found 5 or so with bulges out of 200 cases.
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!
Old October 20, 2006, 01:33 PM   #9
Rimrod

"What does 'web' mean? I was afraid you'd ask that question since I don't have a picture of it. If you look down into a case and see the solid base, that is the top of the web. The flash hole goes through the web to the primer pocket.
Old October 20, 2006, 10:53 PM   #10
Dave Haven

Quote:
The bulges are 1/4 of the case length up from the rim and are easily straightened out with the resizer.
That's perfectly normal.