The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2005, 05:58 PM   #1
arrggg

mixed brass

I have been neck sizing my brass with lee dies, I have fired ~120 without issue, however I just remembered that I picked up a few peices of brass at the range and had put them in the mix with all of my once fired brass from my rifle. Am I doing something dangerous by neck sizing only on the brass that was not fired from my rifle?

I am trimmng them all to length, and I have not had any rounds that were very difficult to chamber. Rifle is a rem 700 .308.
Old April 8, 2005, 06:05 PM   #2
J.D.B.

I wouldn't say it's dangerous, but you may have trouble chambering them. At least you can figure it out with your gun. If they all chamber, then be sure to inspect all of the cases you mixed them into. them. Were they once fired? If all appears O.K. then use them.
Josh
Old April 8, 2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Been there myself with 30-06 and 223

J.D.B. put it into words better than I can, and I do agree.
Old April 9, 2005, 05:48 AM   #4
mtnboomer

One thing to remember is that military brass is thicker than civilian brass and that can reduce the internal capacity of the case and increase pressures when using warmer loads. While once-fired military brass will have the primer crimped in, if it has been reloaded that will have been removed - check your headstamps.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old April 9, 2005, 11:53 AM   #5
arrggg

its all fed, win, rem consumer brass
Old April 15, 2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Smokey Joe

Wandering fired brass

All commercial brass, a few free-range ones got in w/yr own empties?? Check the case length and trim and chamfer i & o if over spec, then chamber all the empties in yr rifle; the ones yr bolt won't close on will need FL resizing. Other than that you're home free.

The not-yr-rifle cases will have slight accuracy issues--as will the FL resized ones--but if you're not segregating yr brass by manufacturer and keeping the lots of brass separate you're not being picky enough for the odd brass to make itself a notable problem.

Once the brass been fired in yr rifle, of course, you can just neck-size it, reload it, and shoot it, ten times over or more.

Check all fired brass, of course, for any cracks or other damage, be it from your private lot or free range brass.

Enjoy!

--Smokey Joe