The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 7, 2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Randomgt99

Pinned muzzle brake slightly off center

I recently finished my first AR 15 build. I spent just over 6 months and quite a bit of money piecing it together. Because I decided to go with a 14.5 barrel (and because I'm in NY) I had to get my muzzle brake pinned. I went with a BCM barrel and a Battlecomp muzzle brake. After I picked it up from the gun shop I examined the weld. It was a little sloppy, but I can live with that. After looking at it for a few minutes i noticed that the battlecomp was slightly off center. I'm talking only a couple degrees, but it still really annoyed me. Some people I asked said that I wouldn't notice any difference while shooting. i would just have to live knowing that it is slightly off center. I plan on taking it to the range this weekend. If it shoots okay then I will be able to live with it.

Can anyone weigh in on this? Do you think there will e any noticeable difference shooting it or am I making a big deal out of nothing? It just annoys me that I put so much time and effort into this project for someone else who is supposed to be a professional to screw up.

Last edited by Randomgt99; January 7, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:49 PM   #2
AKsRul.e

I would demand the "Gunsmith" fix it .

Appears not to be a "professional" though...
Old January 7, 2013, 10:17 PM   #3
CTS

I believe I would be heading right back to the "gunsmith" to see what he intended to do about it. Just curious though, was it a threaded brake that you installed and then had welded? If so, I don't know how it could be off center.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:24 PM   #4
HILLBILLY-06

{QUOTE}:Pinned muzzle brake slightly off center

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently finished my first AR 15 build. I spent just over 6 months and quite a bit of money piecing it together. Because I decided to go with a 14.5 barrel (and because I'm in NY) I had to get my muzzle brake pinned. I went with a BCM barrel and a Battlecomp muzzle brake. After I picked it up from the gun shop I examined the weld. It was a little sloppy, but I can live with that. After looking at it for a few minutes i noticed that the battlecomp was slightly off center. I'm talking only a couple degrees, but it still really annoyed me. Some people I asked said that I wouldn't notice any difference while shooting. i would just have to live knowing that it is slightly off center. I plan on taking it to the range this weekend. If it shoots okay then I will be able to live with it.
Can anyone weigh in on this? Do you think there will e any noticeable difference shooting it or am I making a big deal out of nothing? It just annoys me that I put so much time and effort into this project for someone else who is supposed to be a professional to screw up.

Well, a good prime example of that kind of shotty work: "You do that to an M1A" and you'll find yourself picking up the dang pieces of your flash suppressor for a week. They don't have "crooked" built into the design, and an alignment tool is recomended for installation once removed. "Just in cse" you might say, as like i said, you'll be pickin that stuff up for a long time if you get it on crooked.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Randomgt99

Yea, it was a threaded brake that he installed on a threaded barrel. He used a crush washer.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:05 PM   #6
CTS

Are you sure it's off center or does the shoddy welding just make it look that way? I have never done this, not living in a place that requires such nonsense but, if you are planning to weld the brake in the position you want then what would be the purpose of using the crush washer? I was under the impression that the crush washer was there for the purpose of indexing the brake or flash suppressor. Not needed if being welded, or at least you wouldn't think so.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Randomgt99

I'm not really sure myself. That's why I opted to take it to somebody who supposedly does this sort of thing for a living. The brake is specifically meant to be pinned and came with a crush washer so I didn't really question that. The brake is definitely off center though it is only slight. At first glance you can't really tell, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Don't get me started on NY regulations. Just finding a gunsmith who would do this job was an ordeal. 99% of the gunsmiths I found refused to take on a job like this.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:17 PM   #8
BillyJack3

I think there is some confusion. It sounds like the OP is stating that it's not timed correctly, not necessarily "crooked" or off center as some may be referring to. If it's timed a few degrees off, you will likely not notice a difference.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:31 PM   #9
CTS

That would make more sense. I couldn't see how it could be crooked if it was threaded on. I agree if that is the situation, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Old January 8, 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Randomgt99

Ok. That makes more sense. Still not as well versed in the lingo as I'd like to be.

Tags
ar15 , battlecomp , muzzle brake ar15 , pinned muzzle brake