The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 26, 2011, 08:04 AM   #1426
Uncle Buck

Quote:
The question was asked by Jake Tapper of ABC as I recall.

LOL! Shows how jaundiced I am about the mainstream press, I guess.

But that part of the interview was only available online. The really important story was the President knew all about children's books.

The media seems to have backed off a lot of the tough questions. Hopefully we will not have to wait until the election "season" is on us before we get more info out of them.
Old October 26, 2011, 03:04 PM   #1427
alloy

Napolitano still hasn't spoken to Holder about F&F, but the border is very secure.
Some testimony from today, questions by Jason Chaffetz.

http://www.hapblog.com/2011/10/for-y...s-and-not.html
Old October 26, 2011, 07:36 PM   #1428
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloy
Napolitano still hasn't spoken to Holder about F&F, but the border is very secure.
Some testimony from today, questions by Jason Chaffetz.
Looks to me as if someone was completely blindsided. Which also indicates that this may be the only way to get the truth of things out of this administration.

Of course, after this, everyone else coming to testify will be versed in F&F.
Old October 27, 2011, 02:41 AM   #1429
jimpeel

Ripped her a new one, he did.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old October 27, 2011, 05:34 AM   #1430
Uncle Buck

Re: Post 1425

Wow! Thanks for the link. She even kept a straight face during the whole thing.

If that had been me, as soon as I found out one of my agents had been killed because of this botched plan, heads would have rolled.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:59 AM   #1431
armoredman

Nice job.
Old October 27, 2011, 02:10 PM   #1432
Bartholomew Roberts

In a surprise move PJ Media reports, Kevin O"Reilly has been named Director of the International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Bureau for Iraq. This is a Deprtment of State position, so it was somewhat unusual to have a staffer for the National Security Council end up there, especially since it appears there were several long-time State people in line for the job.

As you'll recall, O'Reilly was originally not made available for Congressional testimony because he was on temporary assignment to Iraq. Now that the assignment has been made permanent it will be interesting to see if he will be made available for testimony or if he plans to stay in Iraq indefinitely.

Apparently, PJ Media called the office number for that position and got his secretary; but upon calling back discovered that the number, which had been in service for several years, was now disconnected. Funny eh?
Old October 27, 2011, 05:22 PM   #1433
maestro pistolero

I believe Napolitano was lying her behind off. Watch the body language, her inability to keep her eyes forward or even open during the more particularly unlikely answers.
At times both eyes would close for almost a full second while turning her head to the side. There was also a tendency to deflect, object, and stall whenever a particularly difficult question was posed.

I don't believe her for a minute.
http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies.php
Old October 27, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1434
BGutzman

Quote:
I believe Napolitano was lying her behind off. Watch the body language, her inability to keep her eyes forward or even open during the more particularly unlikely answers.
At times both eyes would close for almost a full second while turning her head to the side. There was also a tendency to deflect, object, and stall whenever a particularly difficult question was posed.
There is nothing I put past these people... nothing..
Old October 28, 2011, 01:06 AM   #1435
jimpeel

The Washington Times had an article on her grilling.

SOURCE

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old October 28, 2011, 09:38 AM   #1436
Uncle Buck

Quote:
“That was my No. 1 concern: that those responsible for the shooting death of Agent Terry were brought to justice. And that’s what I was being kept apprised of,” she said.
I guess they did not apprise her of everything they found. I guess they must have also failed to apprise her of the Terry family lawsuit.

This whole Fast and Furious thing has left me with a rotten taste in my mouth for not only this part of the government, but a lot of the other parts also.
Old October 28, 2011, 10:16 AM   #1437
C0untZer0

Napolitano is a seasoned politician.

She can handle these so-called grillings.

What is interesting to me is what dynamics are playing out behind the scenes. If the democratic party as a whole is able to give Napolitano a brighter brighter future if she tows the line - then she'll tow the line. But if it becomes apparant to her that her future is better served by breaking with the Obama administration - she'll do it.

She's not just a political cronie, she's an ambitious politician who just happens to be doing an admistrative job at the moment.

I think a lot of it probably has to do with how complicit she was in F&F to begin with. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old October 28, 2011, 12:26 PM   #1438
MLeake

Napolitano was complicit, at the very least, in arming Brian Terry with a beanbag when he went up against an armed BG. Her head should have been on a platter the day Terry died.
Old October 28, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1439
ltc444

What was it my exattorney, Hilary clinton said. "Requires a suspension of disbilief."

As a former government buearaucratic, I know from experience that when an incident of this, Officer Terry's death, All Hecht breaks loose.

I think the congresman from UTAH hit the nail on the head. Janet lied. Hopefully, she will face the full brunt of the proscutions which will surely come.

The wheels of government grind slow but they grind exceedingly fine.
Old October 28, 2011, 01:05 PM   #1440
rantingredneck

Quote:
But if it becomes apparant to her that her future is better served by breaking with the Obama administration - she'll do it.
In other words, the faster the ship starts to sink the more rats will jump (and faster)....................

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old October 28, 2011, 05:14 PM   #1441
KyJim

Having firmly testified she was not briefed on the matter, I would expect her story to firmly remain the same . . . . . . . . unless a memo or email surfaces showing otherwise.
Old October 28, 2011, 08:56 PM   #1442
HarrySchell

It's possible she wasn't briefed. "Her troops" would be at risk and if she had a conscience, she might...er...think about that, how it might play out when someone working for her caught a round or two from Barack's Bright Idea to Promote Gun Bans.

Then again, she is hardly as educated as Holder or Obama, and might be perceived as a weak link, despite the androgynous roundness she shares with other useful appatchicks Obama has selected.

I insult Ms. Napolitano (whenever I can), but it is possible she is telling a truth even she finds incredible, and is bound to separate herself from, regardless of whatever prospects her ambition seeks. Some things are too dirty, even for the dirty and ambitious.

That said, I wouldn't vote for Nappy to make her dogcatcher in a town of 200. People, that is.
Old October 29, 2011, 08:04 AM   #1443
JustThisGuy

The Smoking Gun

Pajamas Media ran an article yesterday that lays out the who, how and why (the whole sordid story) on Fast & Furious.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/smoking-gun-...inglepage=true

The smoking gun is that the guns that were being walked across the border to Mexican Cartels were:
1) Bought more cheaply on the black market than from U.S. Gun Dealers.
2) The specific guns that anti-gun organizations were naming to get banned (AK and AR "Assault Rifles" and 50BMG weapons).
3) Involved gun shops were told by ATF specifically which and how many guns they should order to fill upcoming straw purchases.
4) Monies for the straw purchases were furnished by an FBI informant to otherwise indigent individuals who were told where, what and how many to buy.
5) The straw purchased guns were directed to the hands of specific Mexican Criminal Gangs especially known for their violence and tendency towards mass murder such that the greatest possible number of casualties could be traced to the recipients or the straw purchased weapons.

This was not the story for Fast & Furious alone. Remember please that similar operations were underway in 9 additional cities. Approximately 2,000 known AK/AR .50BMGs were put into criminal hands under Fast & Furious alone. As one of 10 ongoing operations of an exactly similar nature, perhaps up to 20,000 guns were placed into the hands of Mexican, US and other nationality Criminal Gangs, all without the consent or information of local law enforcement in the affected areas and with no way to trace the weapons except when they turned up at crime scenes. All to serve a gun-control agenda.

This was truly an outrage of the highest order. Every willing government participant should serve long, hard time for this government sponsored criminal conspiracy.

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.
Old October 29, 2011, 12:52 PM   #1444
Glenn E. Meyer

Holder is going to testify on Dec. 8 according to CBSNews.

Also, let's increase the level of maturity if we discuss someone. I don't need junior high humor - had to delete such.
Old October 30, 2011, 02:10 AM   #1445
JustThisGuy

My brother cautions that high-level involvement in F&F doesn't pass the smell test. This is what I told him.

Because the ATF and FBI ran similar operations in ten cities, it is clear that there was high level clearance in both organizations. The program was coordinated between the ATF and FBI.

The likelihood of two agencies becoming independently involved in what was clearly an illegal operation is to me at least extremely thin unless they were directed to do so by DOJ. I understand that this has been confirmed by whistle-blowers who have stated that DOJ was read-in on the project.

If there were no complaints from DOJ, that says to me that it was the point of origin or else there would have been heads rolling at the first inkling of such an illegal operation if DOJ were operating according to their mission..

The fact that there has been no outrage, but rather complicit acquiescence by State and DHS (such as Janet Napolitano's testimony before Congress and public statements from Hillary Clinton) indicates that they too were read in on the project and were complying with a common directive to all these agencies.

There's your smell test.

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.

Last edited by JustThisGuy; October 30, 2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old October 30, 2011, 09:33 AM   #1446
brickeyee

Quote:
Napolitano is a seasoned politician.

She can handle these so-called grillings.
Appears to need more salt (sodium free if you please) and maybe some garlic.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:06 AM   #1447
HarrySchell

As to the smell test, raging gunfights along the US border would fit nicely to the rationale for the proposed UN Small Arms Treaty, which Obama, Hillary and cadre find tasty.

There are so many announced agendas served by enhancing the nightmare down south and blaming it on US gun laws (har!) and drugs, while the public rationale of tracking to bad guys is so pathetic, incompetence fails as an excuse. The scale of the op also kills the "rogue agent" meme.

There isn't a way Obama, Holder and Clinton didn't know, or that ATF did this on their own. Can't get there from here.
Old October 30, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1448
ltc444

Go back and review the e-mails to the NSC staffer from the Batf SAC in Phoneix.

The SAC was sending his copies of his weekly reports to the NSC. This indicates direct White House involvment.

I fear that Issa and Grassley are aiming to low.
Old October 30, 2011, 11:30 AM   #1449
Chaz88

Quote:
They might be afraid of the incoming suppression fire if they aim higher.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 30, 2011, 09:57 PM   #1450
KyJim

Quote:
You typically start at the bottom and work your way up on these sorts of things. It helps to get the underlings to flip and start talking.

Tags
atf , fast and furious