The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 5, 2005, 03:59 PM   #26
armedandsafe

I switch off between the Dan Wesson and the P85. Both DA. I worked over the grips on each of them until they both shoot to same POI at 21' with the grip I get drawing from IWB. It works for me.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old February 9, 2005, 11:20 PM   #27
Walter

Quote:
"OK, you guys who have never trained force on force or been in a violent encounter, or have studied and train people for violent encounters know better than those who have."

I've been in a few "violent encounter"s. Back in January and February of
1969, it seemed like a "violent encounter" came along about every fifteen minutes. But that was I CORPS, RVN, and the 26th Marines.

Life is a little slower these days, not nearly so many firefights. But I did
learn a lot about weapons-handling back then. I don't think I have
forgotten ALL I learned "on-the-job". If I can't grab a gun I own, and
readily adjust to where the safety is, and how the sights work, I should
get rid of that gun, or, get rid of all my guns.

I feel pretty confident in my gun-handling ability. I am extremely comfortable
with the "carry" guns I use. I believe I'll keep on carrying whatever gun I decide fits my need for the day, and not worry too much about whether or not I can find the safety.

Walter
Old February 9, 2005, 11:56 PM   #28
BillCA

There are a lot of good opinions here and that, in and of itself, is pleasing. What this boils down to is "If it works for you, great. If not, stick with one type of MOA".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
You don't get proficient by reading books, or going to the range once a month. You get proficient by constant practice, and by attending training with good instructors.
Mannlicher is right on about that. There's no substitute for practice except perfect practice!

To those of you who don't worry about a different manual of arms and carry different guns, try thinking about this. When you are confronted and need to engage with deadly force, what happens when you are verging on exhausted? Or simply very tired? One person wrote about his reaching for the column shifter in a car with a console mount. Been there, done that, especially when tired.

When you are at less than 100% your body will react to what the brain remembers as it's #1 choice. Thus if you carry strong side 95% of the time and happen to be carrying crossdraw or small of the back that day, your first reaction is to reach for the strong side hip. With a SOB holster you can keep reaching, however your draw is slower now as your brain re-engages with your body.

Remember, the BG chooses when and where you'll be the victim.
Old February 10, 2005, 12:08 PM   #29
Bullrock

walter

Quote:
I feel pretty confident in my gun-handling ability. I am extremely comfortable
with the "carry" guns I use. I believe I'll keep on carrying whatever gun I decide fits my need for the day, and not worry too much about whether or not I can find the safety.
This is right on! While over the years I have migrated to mostly cocked & locked I still contiue to use all of my guns as often as I can, and like walter, I don't worry about finding the safety.

Besides, when is the last time all you gunfighters lost a gunfight because you forgot to flick down the safety? huum? (not including Glockies, of course)
Old February 10, 2005, 12:30 PM   #30
Wraith

This is not set in stone. Some people have a stronger muscle memory and others have no problem with different MOAs. It's really that simple.

Do what works best for you.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old February 10, 2005, 01:34 PM   #31
Unique 5.7

txinvestigator - I think you have a valid point, but not the only point. There are situations where it would not be practical to carry a Beretta 92FS, but a Beretta Tomcat will do quite nicely. Then again, there are situations I wouldn't go into with less of a gun/round than the 92FS. So, having a similar manual of arms amongst one's guns is a valid factor, but not the only one and often not a very important or practical one. Having the proper tool for the job can be much more important.
Old February 12, 2005, 06:58 PM   #32
weldonjr2001

I can pull my (in alphabetical order) Beretta 92FSC, CZ 75 BD, Glock 23, Kahr K40, Ruger SP101, S&W 457, and Walther P99, and pull the trigger. Never, EVER, would or do I use any so-called safety on the Beretta or S&W. To me they're just decockers, then right back up. Just as I never have to rely on a loaded chamber indicator to tell me the pistols are loaded, because they're ALWAYS loaded. So to me, because I know ME, it's not an issue. If I wasn't so familiar with my weapons, I'd probably consider carrying only 1. I DON'T carry my Kimber 1911 or Browning HP much in urban settings, because they now introduce a real safety, and the technique differs. I can't just pull them and pull the trigger. Well, I could, but that's the problem
Old February 12, 2005, 07:32 PM   #33
Multi-G

The old saying........."Beware of the man who has only one gun, for he probably knows how to use it." I think we have all heard that one.

I have never heard, "Beware of the man who has a big gun collection."

I think it is best to carry one gun, and carry it often. I am equally at home with a Glock, Sig, or a Kahr. Notice no safety to mess with. Different guns, yes, but they are all basically point and press guns. 99% of the time I am with a Glock, keep in mind the grip angle affects your natural pointability for different firearms. I have 5+ years of pointing a Glock, so that is my choice.

I do "play with" others, like the venerable 1911, but right now I do not carry one, nor even shoot one often. I have no need to mix safety positions, etc in my Carry Setups.
Old February 13, 2005, 12:16 AM   #34
hotntot12

Coaching-teaching others....

(For what it's worth)....after 40 years of experience I would coach the same by teaching skills through repitition.Certainly we all don't all learn the same or are at the same intelligence level but when the game is on the line and I have done my job properly my teams will beat you most of the time because they learned and will react from repitition of concepts, correctly taught,under stress.
Old February 13, 2005, 12:54 AM   #35
Jeff22

the man with only one gun

You always hear the old saying "Beware the man with only one gun, for he probably knows how to use it . . . ."

A very logical thought, on the face of it. And true. But in my experience, the "man who only has one gun" usually only has one gun because he doesn't particularly LIKE guns, and he doesn't shoot that one very often EITHER.

That's not always the case, just usually the case. If you are restricted by policy to one particular weapon as a service weapon, by all means make that your primary and focus your training on it. And it's probably best for most people not to spread themselves too thin by trying to maintain familiarity with LOTS of different operating systems.

And it makes no sense for a GI who has to carry an M9 on duty, or a cop who carries a Glock 22 on the job to do all their practice with a Kimber Warrior SA auto that they only shoot in pistol matches. Train the way you want to play.
Old February 13, 2005, 04:57 PM   #36
Karaya1

I say find a platform you like and stick with it.
Sigs, Glocks, 1911's, ect all come in different flavors to satisfy your carrying needs. Personally i am a SIG guy. Therefore i probably won't buy anything but SIG's for at least a while.
Old February 14, 2005, 12:26 AM   #37
shy_man

I have only two handguns due to the high price of FA in my country.My M1991A1 stainless and my DP51 Daewoo. Both has almost the same operation it it comes to the manual safety. The only significant difference is the trigger pull. My 1911 has a short trigger pull whereas my DP51 is too long that you need to press the trigger along the way to go bang.

With these two firearms, there is no internal modifications made. About familiarity to each gun, I would say, I am very much familiar to the operation and it will not affect which ever I will carry.

I think it would be better to have carry guns switching everyday that has the same operations, you just don't know what may happen when you are in a situation where you really need to make the first fire. If you are used to 1911 and that that day you are in need to shoot for self defense and carrying a beretta, then you migth be confused when to remove off the safety. This is shallow reason anyway but it might happen.

Last edited by shy_man; February 14, 2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old February 14, 2005, 08:59 AM   #38
seb5

I think it's a good idea for those of you who are not comfortable with different manuals of arms to not carry more than one. I also think it's a poor idea for those who are competent with several types to limit themselves to one because of someone elses ideas of what works for them. Sometimes it's easier to agree to disagree.
Old February 18, 2005, 06:56 PM   #39
abelew

Carry an auto for primary, carry a DA revo for backup (easiest manual of arms-just pull trigger)
Old February 22, 2005, 07:45 PM   #40
VirgilCaine

Murphy is a big fan of combat situations. Unless you are crazy or stupid, you will revert deep down into instinct and training. I really believe that a person does not actually "think" in combat. It is not how you imagine it. Your reaction must be rote and automatic, without hesitation. Toss in an unfamiliar weapon and you up the percentage of something going wrong, and that will compound an already anxious moment. You up the chances that you will be the one springing a leak.

You just gotta believe that there are some new/young CCW holders out there, standing in front of the bathroom mirror, saying with their toughest voice, "you talkin' to me?", and calling it training. Confidence is a good thing, but it won't remind you which pistol you have that day/night.

I suppose i've used up my .02 cents
Old February 22, 2005, 08:15 PM   #41
Rojoe67

another vote for the wheel gun

ya I got a 9mm too......but the wheel gun is so darned easy and lighter too....
Old February 23, 2005, 05:38 PM   #42
Robert Allison

As alluded to by most, I carry a variety of different guns depending on the circumstances. And while I feel pretty confident in my abilities with respect to each, I have experienced the momentary confusion with regard to controls that can occur in a sudden emergency. We all think we're real smart and well trained, but I'd venture to say that when there's about a gallon of adrenalin coursing through your system it could be a different story.

So.....anymore I almost invariably carry either a cocked and locked 1911, or a revolver or semi-auto with a double-action first shot. In the case of the semi, I never use the safety, keep one in the chamber and rely on the DA feature.
Old February 23, 2005, 06:35 PM   #43
Bullrock

Quote:
(For what it's worth)....after 40 years of experience I would coach the same by teaching skills through repitition.Certainly we all don't all learn the same or are at the same intelligence level but when the game is on the line and I have done my job properly my teams will beat you most of the time because they learned and will react from repitition of concepts, correctly taught,under stress.

I really hate to say this hotntot12, but so will my pup. What in hell are you guys training for, WWlll? Man, I'm old and my wife will tell you kinda senile, but I always know which gun I'm carrying, how to use it, and I don't lose any sleep over it. Having said that, I probably will begin to sweat it if a rifle team decends upon me and opens fire..