The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 18, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1
stu925

Need Safe Advice

So I've decided to upgrade my firearms storage solution and buy a real safe. I'm looking at the Liberty Timber Ridge TR25 that Gander Mtn has on sale for $999.99. It comes with a dehumidifier, door storage panel and LED lighting. So far the electronic lock is the only turn off for me on the safe but I can live with it. I guess I'm looking for opinions on this safe or alternatives in this price range. My collection of firearms is not as extensive as some here but certainly isn't going to get any smaller either, I'm sure I'll be buying a second safe in a few years. Weight is a major concern since this safe will be on the second floor of the house (no place on the first floor to put it) and with this safe tipping the scales at 565lbs would be about as heavy as I'd want to go on the 2nd floor. The safe is Made in the USA which is a major selling point for me also.

My reason for buying the safe is the fact that I've got 5 & 8yr old boys who know better than to touch my guns and have a deep respect for what they are and what they can do but they have friends and they come to our house regularly. As these kids come in and out of my house I want to know that my firearms are secured and that I don't need to worry about someone else's kid touching my guns. I'm not worried too much about my kids, they know if they want to see my guns or even handle them (safely) all they have to do is ask.

So what say you, does anyone own a TR25 or any of the Liberty Timber Ridge Safe line? What have been your experiences with them? Most importantly has anyone ever been burglarized or had a fire with one of these safes and how did the safe hold up? I haven't been able to find warranty info on-line for this safe so if anyone has access to that I'd appreciate it also. Don't hold back guys any input of this is appreciated, $1000 is a lot of money to me and it's the absolute most I can afford to spend on a decent safe solution so if this safe isn't worth it I need to know.

Stu
Old February 19, 2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Live45

Don't worry about the weight on the second floor. Because unless your house has an elevator, you'll never get it up the stairs to get to the second floor. I helped a friend haul a Winchester safe of about the same dimensions and weight in my trailer and about all the 2 of us could do was get it off the trailer and into his garage. He wanted to place it in the master bedroom closet in his 1 story house but we couldn't even get it up over the sill of the door from the house to the garage. We're both pretty big guys and normally could move large refrigerators around like nothing. But this thing was impossible even though we had a professional dolly. We used an engine hoist to lift it upright from laying down after sliding it off the trailer. I'd ask some professional movers and see if they have any advice or a solution. Good luck!
Old February 19, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
hbhobby

All I can recommend is find the size you think you need then get one twice as big! I learned the hard way that you can get one huge safe cheaper than two small safes!
Old February 19, 2013, 03:56 PM   #4
zincwarrior

This is an answer to a question you didn't ask, but if weight is an issue you might also consider lockable metal cabinets. I went with that after The Wife put her foot down about weight issues on a safe, including a not gentle reminder about the large number of candles that now affix my birthday cake and the likelihood of an emergency room visit trying to move it around.
Old February 19, 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
stu925

Moving the safe shouldn't be too much of an issue, I've got 4 or 5 guys I can get to help me move it. I'd prefer it on the ground floor I just don't see where I could put it.

Stu
Old February 21, 2013, 04:34 AM   #6
LRChops

I have two gun safes because I outgrew the first one I got within a few months. Now I'm outgrowing both. Go larger than you think you need!

Browning Pro Steel safes are awesome. Also have a Liberty, but much prefer the Browning!

ALSO, I bought my Browning with an electronic touchpad lock. Bad move! Dial is much more reliable! The touchpads are made of plastic and will melt in a fire. Not only that, but they are removeable to replace the 9 volt battery and anyone can cut the wires and you won't be able to open your safe. Dial lock is fail safe!
Old February 22, 2013, 09:39 PM   #7
a1abdj

Quote:
The touchpads are made of plastic and will melt in a fire.
Dials are made out of soft pot metals, and will also melt in a fire.

Quote:
Not only that, but they are removeable to replace the 9 volt battery and anyone can cut the wires and you won't be able to open your safe.
Anybody could whack the dial, and because it's a soft pot metal, it will fall right off.

Quote:
Dial lock is fail safe!
From a security standpoint, both UL rated mechanical and electronic locks will offer similar levels of protection against fire and/or brute force.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:59 PM   #8
KO3422

I'm a big fan of AMSEC safes. I have had a couple BF series safes. Make sure you buy bigger than you need. You'd be surprised how fast you fill it up.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9
tynman

Before you buy a safe check this thread

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515758

Im a very BIG fan of the sturdy safe but you wont get it on your second floor due to the 800 lbs plus .... your stairs (if wooden) might not handle it on the way up.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:09 PM   #10
sserdlihc

Wish I had bought a bigger safe. Buy bigger than you need.
Old February 24, 2013, 03:41 PM   #11
stu925

The TR 25 is bigger than I need right now but will eventually fill up, hopefully by then I'll be moving to my retirement property which I haven't bought yet. I think when I retire and move I'll buy a bigger safe then and leave this one here (although who knows maybe I'll bring it with me. Kind of a moot point right now since they're all out of the TR 25s and won't have more until at least Wed. Planning on going up there first thing Thursday and talking to the manager to see if I can still get that price.

Stu
Old February 26, 2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Mac 1

Safes

I'm on my third safe. When they say that it will hold say 34 guns, count on getting 20 in there. I got rid of my two small safes and finally got a 64 gun safe and it is almost full with 45 weapons. It is a Cannon and I am satisfied with it so far. I do need to get a dehumidifier though, it didn't come with one. Our house is built on piers (South Louisiana) and the safe comes in around 650 pounds. So far I do not have a hole in the floor, (knock on wood), LOL.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:50 AM   #13
North East Redneck

I have a 24 gun Winchester. Like it lots.
It weighs 575lbs, to get it up to the second floor, the door was removed and the safe was put on an appliance dolly. Myself and one friend were able to move it upstairs.
This one has exposed hinges and locking pins on all sides of the door.
As was said earlier, buy bigger than you think you need.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:20 PM   #14
stu925

Update

Went into Gander Mtn today and they still don't have the TR25 in stock. I was also told that they can't gice it to me for the sale price ($999) when they finally get them in, only for the current sale price ($1199). However they had a Liberty Fatboy Jr on sale for the same price ($1999) which is a 48 gun safe so I ended up buying that. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it home. Ended up deciding I had some furniture in my office that is unnecessary so that is going to make some room on the first floor for the new safe. Thanks for all your input.

Stu
Old March 8, 2013, 07:33 PM   #15
North East Redneck

Stu,
Sounds like a nice one. Congrats on the purchase. Any idea what she weighs? This is something I may someday be interested in. Perhaps not that exact model but a similar in size one.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:00 PM   #16
stu925

Actually it's not all that bad for it's size, it's 705 lbs if memory serves correctly. It's a pretty nice safe plenty of room for now and it'll give me room to expand also plus have a little room left over for valuables and documents. Fire rated for 45 minutes at 1200 degrees, here's a link if you're interested. http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-fatb...fes-ps-10.html I need to add an outlet to it and will eventually put the door panel organizer and lights in it but for now I just needed a good quality safe. Lifetime transferable guarantee, Liberty pays freight if it needs replacing.

Stu
Old March 10, 2013, 05:38 PM   #17
North East Redneck

Stu, thanks. That is a nice safe. And @ 705 or so not that much more than mine @ 575. I keep hearing good stuff about Liberty safes. Will check em out.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:16 PM   #18
ClydeFrog

Browning; Black Label...

I don't have tons of guns or ammunition & I have 0 small kids in my home so I'm in no huge rush to buy a firearms safe.
I did spy the new Black Label line from top rated safe maker: Browning; www.browning.com . The Black Label or tacticool product line has a lot of + features and the MSRPs are not bad.

ClydeFrog
Old March 20, 2013, 08:16 PM   #19
stu925

Update on the safe

Finally got the safe in the house and bolted down today. Had to get 3 friends up here to help me move it but it worked out great. I picked up 2 10' lengths of 1" PVC pipe and cut them into to 2' lengths. Put the safe on it and then rolled it across the house. I think I'll be changing out the bolts to carriage bolts at some point but other than that I'm happy. Actually moving the safe was easier than I expected with the PVC rollers and the safe didn't crush them which is what I feared. Got it all loaded up and it's pretty cramped so I think I'll be buying the door panel organizer to get some of the handguns off the shelves and to give me a place for important documents. I still have some room for expansion in the safe but I'm sure at some point I will need a second safe. It did take a few tries to get used to the mechanical locking system. This is the first dial combo lock I've ever used other than the padlock style and the system takes a little getting used to. Nice to have everything in one place finally. Anyway here's some pictures:

Stu
Old March 23, 2013, 07:11 PM   #20
arizona98tj

Rifles or shotguns with pistol grips, rifles or shotguns with optics, and bolt action rifles....all of these suck up more space in the safe than just the "1" slot they should fit in. On a good day, I would estimate about 50% of the actual stated long gun space, assuming you have a mix of the various configurations mentioned. Using handgun racks on the top shelf (I prefer the rubber coated metal rod frames) really helps organize that space.