The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2010, 12:57 PM   #1
physikal

OAL Diagrams

Hello,

I would like to have printed and laminated diagrams for cartridge length info on brass I load most and staple them to my bench. (9mm Luger, 7.5x55, 45 acp, .223, 30-30, .270)

Is there a site that has a lot of these diagrams in one spot? Also, any of the diagrams I have found from searching only show 1 number. I would like to have a min-max sort of thing. So I know the full range. Or am I always safe assuming -.020 of max cartridge length is usually safe ?

Thanks!

Last edited by physikal; February 15, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old February 15, 2010, 01:15 PM   #2
mkl

OAL is dependent on the bullet you choose to load, so there is not a single answer to your question for a given cartridge.

For revolver cartridges, you should crimp in the crimp groove and not worry about OAL.

For pistol cartridges, set the OAL length to what is shown in your reloading manual for the bullet you are using. If you have feed or chambering problems, you can vary the initial OAL a few thousandths either way until it feeds and chambers smoothly in your pistol. Crimp only enough to straighten out the bell you put in the case mouth; do not fold the case mouth in as you do for a revolver.

For rifle cartridges, use the OAL shown in the manual for the bullet you are loading. Conversely, you can seat the bullet .020 off the lands of the rifle you are using and be perfectly safe. You can move the bullet forward a few thousandths at a time until you get the best accuracy. If you choose to allow the bullet to touch the lands, reduce the charge by four percent and work up again. Crimping is a seldom used option for light to medium recoiling rifle cartridges; most of us have better accuracy with no crimp.

For heavy recoil rifle cartridges such as the 45-70, crimp in the crimp groove on the bullet.

Hope this helps.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:53 PM   #3
physikal

You're right. I worded everything wrong hah. I am talking cartridge length not OAL.
Old February 15, 2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Shoney

physikal
It appears that you may be confusing Max/Min Case Length with OAL. Here are the definitions to clarify.

Case - Hollow brass container housing the propellant of a cartridge, the neck of which grips the bullet, and the head of which accepts the primer.

Cartridge - Complete unit of ammunition, comprising cartridge case, bullet, powder and primer.

Overall Length ( OAL ) - The total length of a cartridge, measured from bullet tip to base of case. It is sometimes written as COL (Cartridge Overall Length).

MKL is correct!

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 15, 2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

If you actually meant case length, then +0"/-0.020" is common for most rifle cases. Some cases with short necks allow less room for error. The .357 SIG, for example, is +0"/-0.006" IIRC?

For cartridge length there is a SAAMI maximum to ensure they will fit in commercial magazines made for the round, but if you are going to load singly, you can exceed it. Note that in pistols, some of the blunt shaped bullets, like truncated cone, won't feed if they are out at the length of round nose bullets, so using the manufacturer's recommended COL for the particular bullet, as was already advised, is usually best.

There is no minimum until the bullet falls into the case, I suppose, but you have to be aware that seating too deeply increases peak pressure. How much depends mostly on the powder and the load? In some instances the case capacity is also a factor as is the primer choice. For those reasons, whatever you choose, work your loads up for it from low levels.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; February 16, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old February 16, 2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Randy 1911

At the start of the caliber you are loading in the reloading manual there is usually a diagram. Just scan it and print and laminate.
Old February 16, 2010, 07:08 AM   #7
gregjc9

I downloaded the various cartridge specs from SAAMI, printed the pages of the calibers I reload, and put them in my binder for reference.

Greg
Old February 16, 2010, 08:09 AM   #8
steve4102

http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

http://stevespages.com/table3.html
Old February 16, 2010, 09:24 PM   #9
woods

Damn steve, beat me to it!

We're even now but the game is on!