The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 6, 2014, 10:55 AM   #26
Unlicensed Dremel

Dangit, I now wish I'd said "Big" instead of "Huge" thumbs down... since the rifle has aforementioned very good points - and then added "....for ME". Carry on.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:22 AM   #27
Sevens

Probably the wrong thread for what I want to ask...

Does anyone have any idea if Ruger might have -ANY- thoughts of chambering the new American in .357 Magnum like the 77/357?

My knee-jerk reaction would be NO, since the few folks who are willing to chase such an oddball as a .357 Mag chambered bolt gun will probably just spend the dough for the 77...

In any case, the subject of this thread and opening post seems to make perfect sense to me. OP thinks the new budget rifle has a large flaw that really ruins it's effectiveness as a tool for his needs at ANY price point. He's made a solid argument to that effect. Perhaps it might have been received better if he titled the thread "man, I hate the magazine system on the new R.American"

My needs for a .357 Magnum bolt gun?
I want to slap steel plates at 100-300 yards, probably with open sights or a low-dollar optic. Pure fun, no need for match or varmint accuracy, I just want to lob lost-cost ammo and make the gongs sing loudly.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:44 AM   #28
FrankenMauser

Don't hold your breath, Sevens.

I think Obama would resign before Ruger announced a .357 American.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:55 AM   #29
Sevens

Okay, but then...
Who ever figured that Ruger would produce a Model 77 bolt action in .357 Magnum?

Who else has ever built a bolt action rifle in .357 Magnum?

There was the old Timber Wolf pump rifle and we've seen the lever action rifles in .357 Mag, but what other repeating rifles have been produced in .357 Mag?
Old August 6, 2014, 03:34 PM   #30
jgcoastie

I was looking forward to getting my hands on the new American rifle... But, like many others, I was severely disappointed. The whole thing just felt cheap and cheesy. From the flimsy, gritty trigger to the weak stock that rube the barrel with the slightest pressure to the clumsy light mag... The whole thing just felt wrong. It seemed like the Remington 770 reincarnated, only worse.

I think Ruger missed the mark on this one, at least for me. I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes, but that doesn't mean its a good rifle in and of itself.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old August 7, 2014, 11:14 PM   #31
Duzell

@jgcoastie
what did you expect for 300-400 rifle?

engraved script in wood stock?

No.. you went in with eyes wide open. its a BUDGET rifle.

its high points are in function and light weight for long treks

its nothing to compare to a howa or a higher end savage or Remington 700

it is what it is, a LOW cost budget rifle that deliver accuracy and performance

@Unlicensed Dremel

from what i understand of your issues with dear old murph, id think you'd invest in better equipment and be more prepared for these issues, if youve dealt with them on multiple occasions, so id think you'd make some countermeasures ...

i wouldnt blame the rifle, even if its mags are cheapo plastic
Old August 8, 2014, 12:21 AM   #32
jgcoastie

Only a moron would expect engraving on a budget gun, and contrary to the condescending and assumptive nature of your post; I am no moron sir.

I expected something with Ruger's name on it, something that they've marketed as an American rifle, would be a quality rifle for the money. The RAR is not a quality gun, even at $250, IMO.

Sock is flimsy, trigger is creepy, gritty, and breaks clunkily. You can put a decent stock that doesn't let the forend warp at the lightest touch on a gun without breaking the bank. Likewise, Savage has proven that a good trigger can be installed on a budget-conscience gun.

I understand that some people are in a love affair with Ruger, and with this rifle in particular. I'm not one of them.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old August 8, 2014, 10:09 PM   #33
reynolds357

When the Ruger American first came out, I remember reading a magazine article that contained a statement that that sums up the Ruger American in a nutshell. It was something to the effect that "if William T. Ruger were still alive, he would use the Ruger American to shoot those in the company that made the decision to put his name on that rifle."
Old August 9, 2014, 06:28 AM   #34
Z400ACDC

I bought a .223 about 6 weeks ago. I wanted a cheap pest control rifle that I could leave out in my shop. I had to call Ruger about the mag that would not feed on a Friday. Monday I had one that works great. I love nice wood stocks but, the poly stock does not hurt the accuracy. It shoots between 1 and 2 off bipod with hornady v-max. I really like the flush mag as long as it feeds. I don't think I could ask for more for $346+tax!
Old August 9, 2014, 12:33 PM   #35
Sevens

Now there is a problem I have not yet run across:
Quote:
I had to call Ruger about the mag that would not feed on a Friday.
So it typically worked just fine any time you wanted to use it, but the magazine in question just wouldn't work on Fridays?

Old August 9, 2014, 01:10 PM   #36
Z400ACDC

Seven, I will explain it to you in case you rode the short bus with tinted windows. The .223 Ruger is new and the mags had issues feeding because the follower needed some adjustment. Mine had trouble with the last round out of the box. I called them about it on a Friday and received the updated one on Monday. Just joking about the bus! I bet you rode to school with your Mom.

Last edited by Z400ACDC; August 10, 2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old August 9, 2014, 01:25 PM   #37
Sevens

Well, I could do worse.
Mom bought me a Model 17-6 as a Christmas present. I walked to school, actually. And I suppose it all worked out. They taught English and composition and I managed to pick up on it. I'd guess the idea may spread to Kentucky eventually, I suppose over time... we'll see.
Old August 9, 2014, 06:51 PM   #38
jgcoastie

LMAO @ Sevens