The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 10, 2001, 10:39 AM   #1
Hutch

I did a cursory search of Full Auto, but I didn't find what I wanted. So.....

When is the April '01 Knob Creek shoot? What advice can you give someone who's never been? I'm not rich, but I do plan to rent some trigger time, if I can. I understand that's possible. Where should I plan to stay? How far is Fort Knox (and specifically the Armor Museum) from there? I plan to take a day to travel to the museum, if I can fit it in the plans. Is there a good website with this info? If there's an obvious question I'm missing, feel free to clue me up.

Thanks for the info, and your patience with a Knob Creek virgin.
Old January 10, 2001, 12:21 PM   #2
glockten

Check out http://www.machinegunshoot.com.

Fort Knox is maybe 15 miles south of the range. I highly recommend the Armor Museum.

If you have a chance to rent a USAS-12, do so. A full-auto 12 gauge is quite an experience!

Take GOOD hearing protection. The main firing line has around 20-30 automatic weapons going at once. The noise is indescribable!

ONLY IN AMERICA!
Old January 10, 2001, 12:48 PM   #3
Hutch

Thanks for the tip

How likely are the hotels listed on the Knob Creek site to have any rooms at all for the April shoot? Where is the gun show located? Is the Armor Museum open on Sundays?

Any comments or more suggestions welcomed.
Old January 10, 2001, 01:07 PM   #4
glockten

I couldn't tell you about room availability. I live about 3 hours away from Knob Creek, so I've never gotten a motel room there. I would advise making reservations ASAP, however.

The gun show is in a large open-air "barn" adjacent to the main firing line.

I believe the Armor Museum is open 7 days a week.
Old January 10, 2001, 02:39 PM   #5
Hutch

That gun show has to be something to see! I can just see all the patrons walking around with their hearing protection on, trying to make deals at a shout. I can imagine being able to take a firearm over to the firing line and trying it out prior to closing the deal -- "How's it shoot?" "Go see, and come tell me."

Thanks for all the help G10. If anyone else has any tips/hints, feel free to offer 'em.
Old January 11, 2001, 06:35 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

You may want to pack a poncho or rain jacket also. I think it's rained, at least part of the time, at about 75% of the KCR shoots I've attended. I usually pack a lunch and walk back to the car to eat also. If you're there to buy anything bulky/heavy you may want to bring along a kid's wagon or two wheel dolly as the walk from the parking lot (if you get there early you can park on the parking lot, otherwise you're stuck parking on the entrance road or another lot over a mile away) to the show/shoot is maybe a quarter mile or so.
If you're looking for something in particular, esp. relating to assault weapons or Title II, chances are if it's not at the Creek it doesn't exist (at least in civilian hands). Not just firearms but parts and accessories also. Know your prices beforehand though.
Also don't forget to walk down the road past the barn and watch the subgun competition and bowling pin matches. You can also rent a gun and shoot the pins yourself. There's another rental range a little further on (the lower range). Most of the rentals are on the lower range. Beyond that is the Jungle Walk, though there is no spectating there.
Can't help with lodging as I usually drive down for the day, it's a four and a half hour drive but well worth it.
Old January 14, 2001, 09:12 PM   #7
manny1

http://www.knobcreekrange.com
Old January 15, 2001, 10:21 PM   #8
Willy

If you go through the list of motels on the Knob Creek web sight, you can usually find a room the day you are at the shoot. I have been three times and made a reservation the day before, twice, and once just drove into town and got a motel room. The airport is not too far away, so there are lots of rooms around there.

BTW, highly recommended, outstanding time. Check out my pictures from the last one at:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9211&a=9400909

I usually drive in on Saturday afternoon, catch the night shoot and then stay over for all day Sunday.

The night shoot is not to miss.
Old February 10, 2001, 09:00 AM   #9
high_caliber

Willy, your photos of Knob Creek are really good.
Here are some of mine:
http://www.geocities.com/high_caliber/kcr.html
Old February 11, 2001, 11:34 AM   #10
Hutch

It's all coming together

Got a room for 3 nights, my son and a bud will be joining me. Hope to borrow the good wife's digital camera. I can't wait.