The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2006, 10:11 PM   #1
JJB2

What's Linotype Worth?

got a long bar of linotype quite awhile ago and i was wondering what say about 20# of the stuff is worth....... anyone know? thanks

JJB
Old November 19, 2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Pointer

Scrap prices...
Contact the local metal recycler or a foundery for current quotes...

To someone who has a linotype printer... A whole lot more than scrap...

Rubber stamp makers used to use the old linotypes for making molds for their stamps...

30-06 FOREVER
Old November 20, 2006, 12:35 AM   #3
pumpkinheaver

It's worth nothing, send it to me and I'll dispose of it. I won't even charge you!!!

Check with your local scrap metal place or recycler, they should be able to tell you.
Old November 20, 2006, 01:20 AM   #4
snuffy

It's worth a lot more to a lead bullet caster than you'll get from a scrap dealer. AND you would be doing him a hugh favour, he can use it to harden wheel weight metal to make very hard cast bullets. Linotype by itself is almost too hard for hangun bullets, even too hard for rifles bullets.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 20, 2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Pointer

I don't know what a "caster" will pay you...

So after you get a scrap quote... multiply it by 6 and see if it sells!

30-06 FOREVER
Old November 20, 2006, 06:50 PM   #6
snuffy

20 bucks

I just gave 20 bucks to a guy at a flea market for a 20 pound bar of lino. If you can get more than that from a scrap dealer,(highly unlikely), then sell it to him!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 20, 2006, 10:18 PM   #7
JJB2

i cast my own bullets but i took a couple of weeks two years ago and cast probably more bullets than i'll ever use..... i was going to use this linotype but it did seem too hard to make bullets with so i used recycled range lead instead... made great bullets as it was bullets before! i'll keep checking with folks to see what it might bring as bullet making material..................
Old November 20, 2006, 11:43 PM   #8
HSMITH

75 cents to a dollar a pound around here.

If you want to make some money list it on ebay, there are fools on there that pay astronomical amounts for linotype.
Old November 21, 2006, 12:59 AM   #9
JJB2

good idea hsmith!! i saw where some folks were paying thousands of $$$$$ for those new playstations................... i just don't get it i guess.............

LIFE IS SHORT..............
Old November 21, 2006, 04:34 AM   #10
VaFisher

Don't think you will get surprized as mush as you would like. My guess is it would cost more to ship then most would want to pay.
Old November 21, 2006, 09:10 AM   #11
MADISON

Linotype

Back in 1980 a printer had 6 HOT TYPE set ups that used linotype. He had converted to cold type and wanted some one to take them out of his shop.
I don't know if anyone ever did. Yoou would need a 1 1/2 truck to carry just one unit...
Old November 21, 2006, 10:12 AM   #12
snuffy

"Back in 1980 a printer had 6 HOT TYPE set ups that used linotype. He had converted to cold type and wanted some one to take them out of his shop.
I don't know if anyone ever did. Yoou would need a 1 1/2 truck to carry just one unit..."

That's why lino is getting hard to find. Most newspapers and others that used linotype are converting to other simpler forms of printing. What we are finding now is left over from newspapers that have gone out of business.

I heard through a local gunshop that someone had 20 tons of lino he wanted to sell. But it was 500 miles from here, it would need to be shipped and the price was already nearly 1$ a pound! Finding a local market was the only way to make any money, it was too large of a quanity/investment. Shipping a few bars would kill you because of the weight.

Old November 22, 2006, 08:02 AM   #13
HSMITH

USPS flat rate boxes. Up to 70 pounds in that little box for about $8.....
Old November 24, 2006, 08:10 PM   #14
Rico567

Linotype is lead + tin + antimony. I don't know the proportions, you can look it up. It would be worth the going reprocessor (junkyard) price for that proportion of metals. Lino has to be getting pretty rare, since I can't imagine that many linotype machines are still in operation. My Dad's print shop had two Mergenthaler linotype setting machines sitting side-by-side, cranking out those slugs of type while the chain lowered the pig of metal into the pot. Almost inconceivable in today's digital age. I cast & shot up a lot of that metal. Eventually I went to Lawrence Magnum bullet metal when lino got too hard to find. Then I gave up casting, when I understood enough about heavy metals and their insidious progress in the human body. That was twenty years ago. Linotype is about the best bullet casting alloy available. It's about as good when mixed half-and-half with wheelweights.

- Mark Twain