The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 29, 2001, 12:48 AM   #1
Liquid

My First Shot Gun

Well I have a few handguns. Now I want to get a shotgun. But i want something reliable. Is there any good internet sites that I can go to and view specs and prices of shot guns. I am looking for the smaller ones with the rounded off hondle like a pistol and i would prefer crome can someone please lead me in the right direction. Also where can you fire a shotgun at a gun range?
Thank You
Philip
Old September 29, 2001, 02:32 AM   #2
rugerfreak

Only Winchester and Mossberg send guns from the factory with pistol grips---so check both of their web sites. You can buy aftermarket pistol grips for just about any brand of shotgun---so you can include Remington in your search. All 3 make a chrome (stainless/nickel/chrome) model.

That being said----the pistol gripped models are pretty much worthless---you might want to consider a full stocked model for more control and aimed fire.

You can take your shotgun to a trap/skeet or sporting clays range---or just hand throw targets out in the country. Keep in mind that your pistol gripped shotgun might not be allowed at a formal target range.
Old September 29, 2001, 12:35 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Liquid, the Search feature here can lead you to lots of info, opinions, myths and real data. A coupla quick things.

Hit your local clays range amd if possible, try out different shotguns. While you're there,check on getting some instruction. Get the right training and it'll make you a safe, effective shooter and you'll have much more fun.

As was said, shotguns equipped only with a PG are well nigh useless. They're shoulder arms, and while the TV and Action movie crowd favor the PGs, few if any "Serious" shooters do.

As far as reliability goes, the Remington 870 has an unmatched rep, and it's my personal choice. But, the Winchester and Mossbergs are good shotguns too.

HTH....
Old October 2, 2001, 12:35 AM   #4
taco

As rugerfreak and Dave McC already stated pistol grip on a shotgun may look cool on tv but in real life use they are worthless. Believe me, been there, done that.

Personally, I think Remington 870 HD model is one very cool shotgun for personal defense. It will do anything required from a shotgun and will do it for very reasonable price. I saw one few weeks ago at my local Wally world for $229. Also, you can find tons of accessories to dress up the 870 to personal taste. Later you can get a longer barrel and use it for trap, skeet, hunting, etc. too.