The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 3, 2012, 07:41 PM   #1
JThompson

First Frightening Experience

Hello Gents, First post here.
So today I had my first, sketchy experience. I'm home alone doing my homework when I hear the door bell go off. Once I walked up the stairs, I see a man around 6'3" with corn-rolls and baggy clothes standing outside of the sliding glass door. He was facing away so I could not see his hands or face. I yell through the sliding door, "Whatchya need?" Meanwhile my boxer is going nuts. The man doesn't respond, keeping his face away from me.
I knew something wasn't right. I'm 18, so I cannot conceal carry. I do however own a couple handguns. I run downstairs, call my father while I unlock my G17. The door bell then begins to ring at a faster rate. I walked back upstairs with the firearm loaded behind by back. What do ya know?, he's got his back to me again. I then go back downstairs and lock my door. I call my Grandpa who is a retired State trooper next door. He said he was on his way by time we were off the phone. I then head up stairs to confront the man while I had someone with me. I then begin to head upstairs, being VERY cautious not knowing if he's inside. The man was gone, and my Grandpa showed up seconds after I got upstairs. Neither of us seen where he went.
The reason I did not call dispatch was due to the fact that I didn't know if he had violent intent. He could have been broken down or in need of a phone. However his actions and behavior leads me to believe otherwise. My main mistake was going back downstairs. I should have kept my eyes on him while I used the phone. This incident makes me wish that the concealed carry age wasn't 21. I would have been able to keep my eyes on the potential threat and assess the situation while getting to my means of defense.
Was I wrong in not calling 911?
Old October 3, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2
BigPoppa

Prolly best to call 911 to have something on record just in case but still keep your eyes on the clown on your property and stay prepared for anything and I mean anythang these days.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:07 PM   #3
JonathanZ

No, don't call 911 right away, grab your Glock first. In your situation you are better off calling your grandfather anyway who can be over there immediately. You are also better off grabbing your gun than you are on waiting for an officer to show up because that could take way longer than it will take someone to come in and hurt you.

I don't think you made a mistake in going back downstairs to get your gun. However, you should probably have stayed downstairs until your grandfather came over and then y'all could check the house together. I probably would have run to grab the gun the minute I saw the guy instead of asking him what he needed. In fact, no reason to even ask the guy what he wants. Just wait til he goes away and have your gun ready in case he comes in. Yes, call grandpa while you wait.

You can call 911, and maybe you should if the guy looks like he's up to no good, but get your gun first!
Old October 3, 2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Concealed carry age restrictions are meaningless when you're at home.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
JThompson

Quote:
Yes, but what about situations out side of the home? Vehicle, place employment, ect? If I was carrying that day the pistol would be in my waste band instead of locked in my gun cabinet.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, but you were at home, correct?

I'm not saying I agree with the age restrictions, you just mention it twice but this entire incident took place inside your home, so the age restriction is not relevent. You could have been carrying if you so desired.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:36 PM   #7
JThompson

Quote:
Yes, but you were at home, correct?
Yes Sir. You are correct.
I just feel as if I had the option to carry, the firearm would be on me more times than not. That may give me the upperhand if something happens. But yes, you are right Sir.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:51 PM   #8
towboat-er

When ya get home. The gun goes on you. When ya leave, lock it up.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:03 PM   #9
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Quote:
^This.

I'm 20. When I am home, my gun goes on me. If I am traveling (and staying in Texas), my gun goes on me. Now, I am only allowed to carry it while in my vehicle and on my property; but my family all allow me to carry in their homes as well.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:13 PM   #10
JThompson

Quote:
Yes Sir. It'd probably be good to form the habit early.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:54 PM   #11
NWPilgrim

You did good. You recognized something unusual and did not answer the door to be "polite" to a stranger. You got your gun and called the nearest trained responder.

However, no need to go back upstairs to confront him. Your grandpa or other responder could do that.

We just installed a wireless IP camera over our front porch so we can see who is there before getting close to the door. We will not answer the door if it is a stranger. Family and friends have the courtesy to call us before stopping by. The only stranger I expect is UPS or Fedex and they knock and go.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:03 PM   #12
jimbob86

Quote:
This, +2.

Carry in Your Castle, and when legal, never leave your cave without your club.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:05 PM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
You did good. You recognized something unusual and did not answer the door to be "polite" to a stranger.
This, too.

You did not ignore your hinkymeter. Paying attention will keep you out of far more trouble than a gun will ever get you out of.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:07 PM   #14
taz1

He didn't respond because he wanted you to open the door
when you ran down stairs to get your gun you should have called gramps, let the dog out the other door to interview the guy , then ran back to the slider.
Old October 4, 2012, 12:53 AM   #15
nazshooter

You mention that you didn't know if he'd gotten in and that you went down stairs to lock the (different?) door. I'd suggest correcting whatever it is that would allow someone in without you knowing about it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old October 4, 2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Stressfire

You didn't open the door and you called for help - all that really counts - and judging from his behavior, that was what he wanted you to do

Concealed carry age and license restrictions have no bearing whatsoever when in or on property that you own or rent.
Old October 4, 2012, 03:50 PM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

Call the police first and stay on the line. It documents that you were trying to do the right thing and may be in fear of your life.

Gramps might get there first but he isn't paid to get shot for you despite that he might want to save you.

You get the gun and hunker down. Tell the law you are scared about an ongoing break-in.

You have no idea how it will go down with Gramps. Maybe he gets shot, maybe he shoots the wrong guy. Let the law do that.
Old October 4, 2012, 04:28 PM   #18
markj

Quote:
He could have been broken down or in need of a phone
And we will never know. I cant belive the fear I see here, someone knocks on the door and panic ensues?

Times sure have changed...

The man coulda had a kid in a car and was keeping an eye on it, or coulda been......or.....maybe he....
Old October 4, 2012, 05:50 PM   #19
SerenityNetworks

Quote:
...If I am traveling (and staying in Texas), my gun goes on me. Now, I am only allowed to carry it while in my vehicle and on my property...
I'm (way) over 20, in Texas, but don't have my permit yet in hand. I may have a gun concealed in the car, but it is not going to be on my person for once I step out of the car I would be carrying concealed without a proper permit. Should I get pulled over for any reason, I couldn't get out of the car and be legal. If asked to step out of the car I certainly don't want to be saying, "Officer, let me get this pistol out of my waste-band." And I certainly don't want to be grabbing for it and putting it away as the Officer is approaching.

If a person in Texas doesn't have a permit, I can't see that having a gun on your person in the car is a good idea at all.

</2ยข>
Andrew
Old October 4, 2012, 05:53 PM   #20
dayman

Not exactly on topic with the OP, but am I to take it that you don't need a concealed carry permit to carry a loaded gun in your car in some states?
The highway patrol can't like that.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:16 PM   #21
SerenityNetworks

Yes, sorry, my reply goes seriously close to hijacking the OP's thread. But yes, my understanding of the Texas law is that I may have a loaded pistol concealed in the automobile. However, it can't be accessible to kids... and all other rules.
Old October 4, 2012, 07:21 PM   #22
Young.Gun.612

Markj,

Sure times have absolutely changed. The fact of the matter is the op called out to the person on the other side of the door and they didn't respond. That, coupled with his constant looking away from the door would have put me on edge too. If his intentions were good, why not answer?

Maybe he didn't mean any harm. Maybe he did. Until all the facts are in I think its better to err on the side of caution.

And to the op, let me be another to drive this point home: when you get home put the gun on your belt and leave it there til you go to bed.
Old October 4, 2012, 07:56 PM   #23
fun2shoot

I don't answer or unlock the door even if its a cop just to stay in my comfort zone which is in my house. If someone pretends to be a authority figure and you feel something strange at all. Get your cell phone and tell the police there is someone you don't know in front or walking somewhere around your home. Criminals might try also to break in by convincing you to open the door. They have all kinds of ways like using other people like women to look lost and scared or a fake injury so you open the door. I think crooks break in when they feel a unlocked door and are very sure you are gone plus they don't want to really hurt anyone at all costs but they will though. They want your stuff. I doubt a smart crook would carry any weapons either. It would slow them down and if they get caught with their weapons they are in for some big prison time.
Old October 4, 2012, 08:00 PM   #24
Pbearperry

He was probably ringing your doorbell and looking towards the street for a reason.If you didn't respond,your door would have most likely been kicked in.The reason he was looking towards the street was to observe if he was being watched by a neighbor.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:01 PM   #25
FireForged

Quote:
He didn't respond because he wanted you to open the door

I agree