The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Paool

Shooting slugs: barrel selection

I'm new to the use of shotgun slugs. I own an 870 Express with a 28" barrel that accepts chokes and an 18" barrel that is just smooth cylinder bore (no chokes). Can rifled slugs be used in either barrel? Is a choke desirable or not? What sort of choke? I've read that full chokes might not be a great idea. Would slugs shoot well from the 18" barrel? I realize that there may be restrictions on hunting with slugs using a short barrel (haven't looked into these yet in my area). Thanks for any info.
Old January 11, 2009, 11:49 PM   #2
banditt007

rifled slugs also known as foster slugs are made to be shot in smooth bore barrels (non-rifled barrels). so provided both those barrels you have are smooth bore... which they very well should be...there is no problem

you'll have to play around w/ chokes to see what shoots best but in general people like the cylinder bore (no choke) or improved cylinder..which is still a very open choke. slugs aside from specialized very hard ones (like dixie slugs) are fine to shoot in chokes up to full. nothing tighter than that, like no turkey chokes/extra full ect. however usually best accuracy will not be realized. as well as you will have a good bit of lead build up on the choke. those riflings on the slug itself will deform and squish down as it passes through the choke. thats what they are there for! not to induce spin. they act like a weight forward dart in flight.

slugs should shoot fine from either barrel. 18" would be fine. remember that the velocity gain after about 14" from a shotgun is minimal so 18" or 28" isnt going to be a huge difference in speed.

i'd personally start w/ the 18" barrel and see how that goes and after you've exhausted different choke sizes and brands of slugs then i'd try the same for the 28" barrel if you arent seeing results you like.

i'd start out w/ testing the breneke K.O. slugs as well as the federal TRUBALL slugs. those are two slugs known for USUALLY producing the best groups. take note on the power of the true ball slug though. while good at 50 yards its performance drops off faster than most slugs.

as i said above w/ slugs its all 'what your gun likes' so you just gotta get out there and tenderize the shoulder w/ diff brands/types of slugs (all rifled/foster slugs) and different chokes. as see what shoots best and stick w/ it!
Old January 12, 2009, 01:05 AM   #3
PetahW

Better slug shooting results may be had by adding some sort of sights to either the barrel (irons) or the receiver (pin-on scope mount).

Two "dont's" -
Don't shoot sabot loads from a smoothbore barrel - Use Foster's as noted above.
Don't shoot anything through the tubed barrel with no tube installed.

BTW - A rifled choke tube may be purchased for the tubed barrel, which may give somewhat better accuracy.

Years ago, before the days of readily-available sighted shotguns (Deer guns), it was common practice to buy an inexpensive riot gun (like an 18" straight cylinder gun) and add open sights to the barrel.

Old January 12, 2009, 02:07 AM   #4
troy_mclure

ive shot tons of saboted slugs from my 500 smooth bore deer slayer bbl, why shouldn't you do it?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 12, 2009, 07:47 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
i'd personally start w/ the 18" barrel and see how that goes and after you've exhausted different choke sizes and brands of slugs then i'd try the same for the 28" barrel if you arent seeing results you like.
So he should only try one shot from the 18 inch That is all it will take to exhaust all his choke options as it is an open fixed choke...
I rather enjoy the accuracy of my 18 inch cyl choked mossberg 500 20 gauge...
Brent
Old January 12, 2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Paool

Correct...the 18" barrel has no choke.

Thanks for the replies all. I plan to get out a shoot a little soon. Now I'll be on the lookout for misc items that will be fun to plink with 1 oz of lead.
Old January 12, 2009, 11:46 PM   #7
troy_mclure

gallon jugs of water, 5gal buckets of water, cabbages, large fruits, small dogs.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."