The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Red Wiggler

Brigadier ?

I was wondering if anyone would recommend a Beretta Brigadier . I have a small hand and the stack mag models are not quite as comfortable to shoot for me . Would appricate any advice or info . Thanks ! Wiggler
Old April 22, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

Small hands, Brigader...

I purchased a NIB surplus 96D(Shelby County TN Sheriff's) in 2007. It was a thicker Brigader series & handled well. I didn't own the pistol for long & only got rid of it due to $$$ problems at the time.

If you have small hands, Id suggest a compact pistol like the SIG M11/P228 9x19mm the S&W Military and Police Shield in .40, the SIG P225/P6(used), the Glock 36 .45acp, the Beretta Nano, the P290RS(with red laser), the Ruger SR40 compact.

CF
www.berettausa.com www.gunsamerica.com www.glock.com www.sigsauer.com
Old April 22, 2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Bart Noir

The original Brigadier is the full double-stack grip with a heavier slide. Doesn't sound like that is what you want since you mentioned smaller hands. I admit that the M92 has a big grip and long reach for that DA first shot. In fact, I wonder how the smaller US troops manage it.

Are you asking about the Vertec version of the M92, which has a straighter backstrap on the grip and still is a double-stack pistol? I think there was a Vertec Brigadier. Is that what you have seen? It would be better than the non-Vertec and I thought it felt good and pointed nicely when I handled (but didn't shoot) one. But I do fine with the M92 double stack so that will not mean much to you.

For a single stack M92, the model is called the Compact Type M. It has a slightly shorter slide and uses an 8-round magazine. That would be just the ticket for smaller hands which are wanting to shoot the great M92 design. It may even still be in production. I greatly like the Compact M92 and have the double stack version.

The fit of a gun to a person is as personal as the fit of a shoe. You have to try it for yourself.

Bart Noir.
Old April 22, 2013, 09:17 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Beretta 92 series M model....

Beretta USA produced a slim style 92 series 9mmNATO called the M.
It was meant as a compact or plain-clothes version of the milspec M9/92F.
It held a thin 8/9 round magazine but had the same specs as the larger 92F.

Massad Ayoob, gun writer & tactics instructor wrote that the M pistol saw duty use with the US Army CIDC(criminal investigations) & USAF/OSI but was soon replaced by SIG's robust M11 or P228 9mmNATO.

A few NIB & LNIB M series 9mm Beretta 92s are out there. They are rare but a decent sidearm.

CF
Old April 23, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Red Wiggler

Thanks for the input , here is the gun I was looking at .

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/beretta/92FSbrig.asp
Old April 24, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Bart Noir

The picture does not match the written description. Those are not target sights, there are no front serrations, the safety is not extended, the safety is not frame mounted, etc.

Buyer beware on this!

Quote:
“Cocked and Locked” Capability Safety can be inserted with hammer lowered or armed.
I am certainly no expert on Berettas and hence cannot figure out what this sentence means. The safety will not decock the hammer so that it can be carried cocked-and-locked? But this is described in detail as a target pistol.

And Wiggler, this seems to have the full sized grip and magazine so I am not sure why you want it. You did mention having small hands so I thought you might be after the single stack magazine version. Now you know they are (or at least were) made in both the full-sized M92 and the Compact. And I think the Compact is just one sweet handgun.

Beretta M92 is a good choice but be sure to buy what you need and want. Good luck.

Bart Noir
Old April 24, 2013, 04:14 PM   #7
ShipWreck

The description and that photo is WAY off. There is no bushing in that photo. I think they are describing the 92 Stock model.