The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2001, 07:47 AM   #1
SloSolo2

Yesterday I went skeet shooting for the first time. I was having a bad day since my A5 wouldn't cycle the light loads I had regardless of spring position. On the last position I yelled pull, the target flew, I squeezed the trigger and the silence was deafening. Wait a few seconds, eject round, look at it awhile, pick it up, no mark on the primer. Recock the gun and repeat above with same results. Hammer doesn't seem to cock.

Can anyone diagnosis this and tell me if the fix requires special tools or knowledge.

Regards,

Jamie
Old February 25, 2001, 08:17 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Don't have an A5

But I suspect that a through cleaning of the trigger mechanism and bolt may help. Sounds like grease and carbon may be affecting the bolt/firing pin. Or the pin may be broken.

There are more knowledgeable folks here - hopefully one will chime in.

Giz
Old February 25, 2001, 02:05 PM   #3
curious

I can agree with gizmo. I was in the military and left my guns with my brother, he used them but he just did not like to clean them. One of my shotguns would not fire. He said it started acting up. Sometimes it would fire and other times it wouldn't. As it turns out the firing pin channel had so much crud in it it could not reach the shells. After a thorough cleaning it fired fine. This could be your problem if not you may want to take to someone.

curious