The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 15, 2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Jola00

Browning 338 is it to big

I went in to buy a new gun and was going to purchase a Browning 7mm and was talked into buying a 338. I hunt now with a30-06 for deer and moose. It has been a great gun but last year it took 2 for my moose to go down and so I thought I would go to a larger gun for moose. The guy at the store said he hunts Deer and moose with this gun and it will be fine. Where I hunt you are going to see both Deer and Moose so I dont want to end up wasted a Deer if this gun is truly over kill. Has anyone out there ever shot a Deer with a 338 before and if so how did the game fare. Thanks
Old August 15, 2005, 06:45 PM   #2
mete

The bullets for a 338 are more heavily constructed usually, for bigger animals ,so you won't disintegrate a deer !!!
Old August 15, 2005, 09:54 PM   #3
HSMITH

I've seen a couple deer shot with a 338, and a few elk. There used to be two guys I hunted with that used them. On deer I didn't see much difference in how and when they went down between the 338, my 284, my 7 mag, and other guys using 30-06 and so on. My guess is the bullet was still expanding as it went out, and one thing I KNOW is that with good bullets a 338 will damage a LOT less meat on a deer if you hit a shoulder or two when compared to a 7mm mag or a 300 mag. On elk the 338 was a hammer, it put them down very well. It is hard to describe but it just hits a big animal HARD. I don't own a 338 but I would like to, after seeing it in action I am a believer.
Old August 16, 2005, 10:40 AM   #4
artsmom

A .338 Winchester Magnum would work well for deer, but I think a .30-06 would still have been okay for moose. One must be careful not to make judgements on an isolated incident.

However, now that you have a .338, don't look back. I think meat damage is more dependent of where the bullet hits and not what bullet. Just try to punch it through the rib cage and get the heart and lungs while avoiding the shoulders and you should be fine.

I do agree that speed has more to do with bloodshot meat than size of bullet, but even an arrow can ruin a lot of meat, which surprised me when my brothers finally started connecting with their bows.
Old August 18, 2005, 09:31 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

There's no animal in North America that needs a .338 Mag to put down. Not even big bears. Up here, the .303 British drops big moose with one shot and 180 grain SP's annually. What ammo did you use with your .30-06?
Old August 18, 2005, 10:02 PM   #6
musher

I've hunted with a 338 for the last 15 yrs. Moose, Bear, Caribou, Sitka deer. I've never felt like meat damage was excessive. Penetration is great, like lengthwise through a caribou if you need it.

As for animals not going down, sometimes it happens. It doesn't matter what caliber you use.

One year a moose I took required 5 shots to take him off of his feet. When I took him apart, all 5 had gone through the boiler room. I've no idea why or how he kept moving, but there it was.

Mostly though, things I shoot just fall down.
Old August 19, 2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Fremmer

Is it too big? Probably not for the animals you plan to shoot. The real question is whether the gun is too big for you -- and I'm not trying to insult you when I say this. The .338 mag is not a light-recoil round. It's not an elephant gun, but it is gonna let you know when you shoot it.

Take the gun to the range and practice with it. Make you you get some good range sessions in before you hunt with it so that you can get used to the gun and its recoil/noise.

And give us a range report!
Old August 30, 2005, 02:11 AM   #8
sum-rifle

The .338 is a great round. Like several people have said it hits like the Hammer of Thor and animals tend to die real fast. Meat damage is not usually a problem either.

I am confused though. Tou said you wanted a "bigger" gun because your 06 took two rounds to kill a Moose last year, then you said you went in to buy a 7mm, Rem Mag. That may have more velocity and energy but it generally shoots a lighter bullet and is definately smaller in diameter.

Sometimes you have to shoot and animal more than once. Use a good bullet and make a good shot and the 06 will do wonders. Now that you have the .338 I would choose that over the 06 but I would still take an 06 over a 7mm Rem Mag for Moose.
Old August 30, 2005, 02:09 PM   #9
mdhunter

.338 is a Great Cartridge.....

although I agree with others that two shots from an .06 to down a moose doesn't equate to bad performance by the .06.

And T. O'Hair, I disagree about "no animal in North America needing a .338 to put down." I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to try to stop this bear with an .06 or .303 British.......

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=16368

Michael
Old August 30, 2005, 06:24 PM   #10
keens

The deer (whitetail) I shot with my .338 went down...but no better than with my 30-06, 7 mag. or .308. Having said that, I like having new rifles, and calibers are a good excuse to buy another. For elk, the .338 would be my choice.
Old August 30, 2005, 10:14 PM   #11
Dave Haven

Quote:
For elk, the .338 would be my choice.
I know a number of people (including myself) who wholeheartedly agree with you.