The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2015, 02:55 PM   #1
McCarthy

Polishing brass

I'm about to begin reloading, only waiting for the bench. One last thought I had today was about polishing the brass. I know it's not necessary but I'm about the worst OCD perfectionist you could imagine. My brass needs to be spotless and shiny like new.

I bought plenty of stainless steel media and a Frankford tumbler so far and I'm thinking about adding a vibrating tumbler for polishing only.

My planned routine on the Redding T7 is:

1.) De-prime
2.) Clean brass with stainless steel media
3.) Dry in oven
4.) Inspect
5.) Lube
6.) Size
7.) Polish in vibrating tumbler(?)
8.) Prime
9.) Load
10.) Seat
11.) Tapper
12.) QC

So my questions are:

A) Will polishing in a vibrating tumbler add any shine if brass was already cleaned with stainless steel media?

B) What media for the vibrating tumbler archives best polishing results? Corn cob or walnut? Any other suggestions?
Old February 4, 2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Lsc8

I've never used the stainless, but corn cob and a bit if mineral spirits works very good for me.

However I'm not sure it'll be any better than the stainless.

You do need to make sure no media gets stuck in the primer hole tho if you tumble after depriming as your planning.
Old February 4, 2015, 03:17 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

The worst OCD perfectionist is putting it mildly. Brass needs to be clean, not shiney. Do not use Brasso either. Ammonia in it eats brass.
A) No.
B) Either corn cob or walnut. Makes no difference.
"...waiting for the bench..." No particle board, of any kind, top. Breaks instantly. A Black and Decker Work mate will do. So will a solid door on a saw horse.
Old February 4, 2015, 03:40 PM   #4
lamarw

If you are OCD, then you are totally off base with cleaning brass for reloading.

Go buy the best ultrasonic you can afford with a heat system. I would suggest L&R, but I am old time and there maybe better units out there.

It is the only thing I personally know of that will clean a piece of reloading brass to new. It will clean the exterior, interior and the primer pocket if you de-prime first.

Clock, watch and even your medical facilities including dentist and surgeons will only use ultrasonic.

I do not think a steel pin units will compare with cleaning the interior or primer pockets to a high quality ultrasonic. I bet they will wear out brass faster. Just my opinion after years of using an ultrasonic for clock work and on firearms brass.
Old February 4, 2015, 04:18 PM   #5
Panfisher

I can't say that ss media will be any cleaner than ultrasonic or not since I haven't used ultrasonic, but the SS media will clean inside, outside, and primer pockets just like new with no problems. It takes longer as I understand it than ultrasonic. Your plan is almost identical to what I do now, except after 30 minutes or so in the vibrator with dry media (mine is corncob) I add a plop of nu-finish type car wax and then let it run a few hours, often overnight, and they are shiny, shiny, shiny, and have a pretty durable protective coating on the brass. Being slight OCD I also handle the brass with gloves after the final polish while priming, powdering, and bullet seating. Does it make it shoot any better, nope but it puts a smile on my face to see the shiny loaded ammo, even if it is not for me.
Old February 4, 2015, 05:01 PM   #6
condor bravo

What is an OCD? If the 12 loading steps as listed by McCarthy in some way describes an OCD, I don't think I want to be one. Cut down that list to 1/2 or 1/3 and the results will end just as well. Way too much emphasis placed on tumbling/polishing brass, let alone doing it in two steps. What is an OCD?
Old February 4, 2015, 05:42 PM   #7
lamarw

OCD is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

I do not have OCD but rather I look for the least expensive and most effective method of doing things. I do own a tumbler and it was OK, but I tested my ultrasonic on ammunition brass and found it far superior. It is also less time consuming.

Since I use a high quality ultrasonic for my clock repair work and an avid antique clock collector, I attempt to consolidate my endeavors.

Have at whatever makes each of you happy. This is what our enjoyment of our hobbies is supposed to be about.

Besides, I think I know what is best. LOL Don't we all.
Old February 4, 2015, 06:24 PM   #8
condor bravo

Thanks for the enlightenment; I guess we're all OCD's in one way or another or we wouldn't be on this forum.
Old February 4, 2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Panfisher

It's funny about the OCD part because I will go through the extra steps to polish and shine my brass because I like to. But my bench is a disaster, I often have to spend several minutes cleaning off enough space to put the loading trays, as I am tripping over the myriad of stuff on the floor.
Old February 4, 2015, 07:16 PM   #10
4runnerman

Go buy some Zilla bedding at the pet store ( very fine crushed walnut) add a squirt of New Finish and tumble. New brass will look like once fired compared to what comes out of your tumbler
Old February 4, 2015, 07:26 PM   #11
Banger357

OCD and reloading go hand-in-hand in my experience.

Are you planning on using any kind of detergent with your SS media? I have heard of people adding ultrasonic cleaning solution in with the media and brass to get pretty results.

I use this stuff with my stainless media: http://lemishine.com/system/lemi-shi...rgent-booster/

And my brass comes out looking better than new. It is magical.
Old February 4, 2015, 07:32 PM   #12
1100 tac

Appearance means a lot to me also, but the mechanicals come first.

After it is all assembled and true and as perfect as I can make it, I want SHINE as in SPARKLE SPARKLE GLEAM GLEAM!

I am fully aware that it wont shoot any better, but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Come to think of it, so does Makers Mark...

Been this way about my ammo for 40 yrs, must be terminal.
Old February 4, 2015, 07:59 PM   #13
lamarw

Shinny counts when you shoot out back vs. a range like I do. You need all the help you can get and a sunny day to find your fired brass.
Old February 4, 2015, 10:32 PM   #14
1100 tac

Ain't that the livin' truth.
Old February 4, 2015, 10:46 PM   #15
Gdawgs

Wet tumbling with SS will get your brass as clean and shiny as anything, including ultrasonic. It takes a bit of playing around with, but once you come up with a routine, your OCD tendencies will be satisfied.

Here are a couple before and after pics

Old February 6, 2015, 11:25 AM   #16
Gravedigger56

How about some photos of brass ran through a vibrating tumbler using corncob, walnut or both to compare to the wet processed brass.
Old February 6, 2015, 11:35 AM   #17
Gravedigger56

McCarthy, you could probably shorten your list a little, save a lot of time and still achieve the results you desire. Unless you're digging up your brass from WWII battlefields.

1-5) Eliminated
6.) Clean/Polish in vibrating tumbler(?)
7.) Size/Deprime
8.) Prime
9.) Load
10.) Seat
11.) Tapper
12.) QC
Old February 6, 2015, 11:35 AM   #18
hanno

Gravedigger56

Here is some brass cleaned in a Lyman tumbler with crushed walnut (lizard litter) and a dash of Nu-Finish.

Old February 6, 2015, 11:38 AM   #19
Gravedigger56

Wow hanno, those look great! By a dash, do you mean a capful?

There you go McCarthy, IMO, anyone would be happy with those!
Old February 6, 2015, 12:09 PM   #20
hanno

Yes, a capful. Pour it in and run the tumbler for an hour to mix the Nu-Finish in before putting the cases in. I have recently started also putting in a spritz of mineral spirits and it seems to help.

Always throw in a used dryer sheet to cut down the dust.
Old February 6, 2015, 12:54 PM   #21
condor bravo

I would recommend adding several capfulls of the car polish to the litter mix and as pointed out by hanno, the polish needs to be distributed throughout. With the tumbler running, this can be speeded up by inserting a hand in the litter and breaking up the clumps with the fingers. Mineral spirits additive seems to be a favorite with many so will have to try that.
Old February 6, 2015, 02:16 PM   #22
Negative Investment

SS pins with dish soap and some lemishine works better than corn cob. I throw my ammo in the corn cob after loading for 10 mins to get the lube off and it makes them very shiny. Corn cob or walnut by itself will never get the brass as clean as SS pins.
Old February 6, 2015, 03:58 PM   #23
condor bravo

Yes but as I understand it you have to wash and dry the pins and how many people out of ten want to do that? Seems like totally misplaced time and effort regardless of the results of the overall operation.

Last edited by condor bravo; February 6, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old February 6, 2015, 05:03 PM   #24
hanno

I'm with condor bravo.

If I was concerned with taking Best In Show at the Pretty Brass Competition I might consider wet tumbling. I'm not.
I like clean brass and my current method works just fine for my needs.
Old February 6, 2015, 05:40 PM   #25
McCarthy

Thank you guys for all the great feedback!

Gdawgs photos did the trick for me. I'll stick with my stainless steel media and skip an additional tumbler for now.

I'll post pictures soon.